You guys love to make fun of my Bears for attendance (which we totally deserve in MBB

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
But I thought you might find this interesting. It's Baylorfans thread where people are ****** about the attendance... mostly alums who live too far away or have jobs that won't let them get to Waco on a Wednesday night... who are ****** at the people who are within an hours drive who just won't go to see the #13 in the Nation, First Place in the Big XII (for now) one of only 10 programs to go to 3 Sweet Sixteens in the last 10 years, Baylor Bears...

Lots of Excuses and lots of really poor perception of this team... you can sure tell that most of these guys don't live and die with roundball...

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302773

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chuckd4735

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Re: You guys love to make fun of my Bears for attendance (which we totally deserve in

Just here to commend you on placing this in the correct forum as the Men's Basketball forum is overrun by Hawk trolls. Was sad to see how empty the gym was last night. Unfortunately your guys seem to enjoy Hilton when the students aren't back.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Re: You guys love to make fun of my Bears for attendance (which we totally deserve in

But I thought you might find this interesting. It's Baylorfans thread where people are ****** about the attendance... mostly alums who live too far away or have jobs that won't let them get to Waco on a Wednesday night... who are ****** at the people who are within an hours drive who just won't go to see the #13 in the Nation, First Place in the Big XII (for now) one of only 10 programs to go to 3 Sweet Sixteens in the last 10 years, Baylor Bears...

Lots of Excuses and lots of really poor perception of this team... you can sure tell that most of these guys don't live and die with roundball...

Why go to the game when Waco has a top flight Fazoli's... same thing right?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

One of my favorite quotes of all time was Melvin Ejim basically saying I don't think there was even a Baylor fan here. (2014 Big 12 tournament championship game).

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX

Just here to commend you on placing this in the correct forum as the Men's Basketball forum is overrun by Hawk trolls. Was sad to see how empty the gym was last night. Unfortunately your guys seem to enjoy Hilton when the students aren't back.

Somewhere in that thread is a quote from someone...wish it had been me, because it's gold... that the reason Scott is so good in Tournaments is that his kids get 20 neutral court games every regular season.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Somewhere in that thread is a quote from someone...wish it had been me, because it's gold... that the reason Scott is so good in Tournaments is that his kids get 20 neutral court games every regular season.

Ouch!

I've always felt that Baylor fans don't deserve the great players they get...because they don't go to support them. Kudos to those of you who actually do go to the games.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

By the way...your link did not work for me...

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX

By the way...your link did not work for me...

OK, I've got nothing

i tried several times and it wouldn't work... then I copied and pasted the link in the OP and it went right to it... don't know what I'm doing wrong.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

OK, I've got nothing

i tried several times and it wouldn't work... then I copied and pasted the link in the OP and it went right to it... don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Fixed.

Reactions: JusHappy2BeHere

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Thanks for bringing it back! I couldn't believe it got buried in there.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006

i wonder if a team has ever finished first in the b12 standings and last in attendance? baylor might do it this year.

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX

i wonder if a team has ever finished first in the b12 standings and last in attendance? baylor might do it this year.

I still have questions about this team, and this league is unbelievable... The champion may end up with 6 losses... but if my Bears are still in it down the stretch, I have to believe that people will start coming out.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013

One of my favorite quotes of all time was Melvin Ejim basically saying I don't think there was even a Baylor fan here. (2014 Big 12 tournament championship game).

I think there were like 3 that were in the P&L that championship game day.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Read that thread yesterday, I guess people up here are just amazed how Drew gives you pretty darn good teams year end and year out, and how many empty seats you see on TV. We have had some bad years and even then we didn't see huge swathes of empty seats. Do you think it is a pricing issue? By the way thanks for stopping by to visit.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

i did a population estimate within a one hour driving time and half hour driving time.

waco has 253k people within a 30 minute drive. ames has 149k people within a 30 minute drive.
waco has 670k people within a 60 minute drive. ames has 690k people within a 60 minute drive.

baylor's enrollment is about half of iowa state's enrollment.

this tells me the excuse of distance is not really true because baylor has 70% more people within a half hour drive. a half hour drive!

the hour drive populations are about the same because we reach into des moines - but even with half the enrollment they should be able to fill the place up. using "there is nothing else to do in iowa" as an excuse is tired and not really true compared to waco. give a random person a choice and 80/20 they'd rather live in des moines than waco.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

i did a population estimate within a one hour driving time and half hour driving time.

waco has 253k people within a 30 minute drive. ames has 149k people within a 30 minute drive.
waco has 670k people within a 60 minute drive. ames has 690k people within a 60 minute drive.

baylor's enrollment is about half of iowa state's enrollment.

this tells me the excuse of distance is not really true because baylor has 70% more people within a half hour drive. a half hour drive!

the hour drive populations are about the same because we reach into des moines - but even with half the enrollment they should be able to fill the place up. using "there is nothing else to do in iowa" as an excuse is tired and not really true compared to waco. give a random person a choice and 80/20 they'd rather live in des moines than waco.

And half the games in Ames are literally at 0-20 degrees outside with snow on the ground.

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX

I have no explanation, but it's not price. It's actually a great bargain for the quality of basketball being played. Part of it is that many of the MBB fan alumnia are still young to middle age so they are in the middle of career and parenting, and most are in Dallas, Austin and Houston, so that's a 2-5 hour trip one way, which makes middle of the week games tough on them. So that counts on students and the Baylor fans in the immediate (within an hour) area to fill it up, and for some reason that is not happening. The weekend games are much better and Saturday vs OU should be full.

The weird ones are those that still think that Baylor is hully gully, makes tons of stupid plays, and doesn't run a real offense...and when you show them that the Bears have been in the top 18 in the nation on Kenpom's Offensive Efficiency Rating 7 of the last 8 years, they either don't trust or don't understand metrics and prefer to stick with their eye test bias.

baylrballa

Feb 3, 2007
League City

Basketball is not football in Texas. Explained.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa

We like to make fun of Scott Drew and his timeout usage, but he's one of my favorite coaches. And I typically root for Baylor(men) whenever they play. Lady Bears not so much.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron