Yard Care for Dummies

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Two questions………

How much time should pass between applying a crabgrass killer (post emergent) and laying down new grass seed? How late into the season can grass be overseeded? I am anticipating an early fall, which will make a difference in timing. Just don't want to go to all the trouble (rent overseeder, purchase seed, water, etc.) if I am not going to be able to see the results early this fall and into next spring.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Two questions………

How much time should pass between applying a crabgrass killer (post emergent) and laying down new grass seed? How late into the season can grass be overseeded? I am anticipating an early fall, which will make a difference in timing. Just don't want to go to all the trouble (rent overseeder, purchase seed, water, etc.) if I am not going to be able to see the results early this fall and into next spring.

I’m new in to serious yarding but at this point I’m just going to let the crabgrass go, feed and overseed later in September. Then start fresh with a pre emergent for the crabgrass because everything I’ve seen is that the filling out of your grass is the best way to beat crabgrass and the pre emergent treatment works better.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
I’m new in to serious yarding but at this point I’m just going to let the crabgrass go, feed and overseed later in September. Then start fresh with a pre emergent for the crabgrass because everything I’ve seen is that the filling out of your grass is the best way to beat crabgrass and the pre emergent treatment works better.

Yes, crabgrass will start dying off as overnight temps fall in the 40-50s so I wouldn’t bother with spraying now. But if you have already sprayed I would think a week or two after spraying you should be able to seed for the fall.

Make sure you put a starter fertilizer down as well and give it plenty of water. Throw down Milorganite too if you can find it!

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
So, tell me if I dun messed up . . .

I put down some grass seed a day or two ago, it was Scott's brand. "Dense Shade" mix.

After overseeding with it, I see the top two seed types are "Duration Tall Fescue" and "Endeavor Tall Rescue."

Based on google search, Tall Fescue is the crappy, flat-leafed sideways growing stuff I don't like.

Is the tall fescue in this mix the same as the "wild" tall fescue?

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
So, tell me if I dun messed up . . .

I put down some grass seed a day or two ago, it was Scott's brand. "Dense Shade" mix.

After overseeding with it, I see the top two seed types are "Duration Tall Fescue" and "Endeavor Tall Rescue."

Based on google search, Tall Fescue is the crappy, flat-leafed sideways growing stuff I don't like.

Is the tall fescue in this mix the same as the "wild" tall fescue?

Don’t worry. The tall fescue used in these type of mixes is typically a turf-type tall fescue. Compared to traditional tall fescue, the blade is narrower, the color is a darker green, and rhizome capability is possible in some varieties (means it can self fill-in).

I used Earl May’s Marvel tall fescue seed mix in my lawn and it’s been great! Thicker and more durable than blue grass, tolerates heat and drought well, and has a good dark green look.

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
So there are some trees near me that lost their leaves VERY late this season -- like after Dec. 10th. I didn't have a chance to rake them or anything. Until today, I got out the leaf blower and and by now about half of them are stuck in the grass, kinda like they just won't come out the grass without very heavy manual raking (and I ain't doing that now).

So it looks like I will have one area of my back yard with about 50% leaf coverage over winter.

What will this do? How bad will it damage the grass? Is there anything I can do in early Spring when the weather improves to help out the lawn?

General tips desired.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So there are some trees near me that lost their leaves VERY late this season -- like after Dec. 10th. I didn't have a chance to rake them or anything. Until today, I got out the leaf blower and and by now about half of them are stuck in the grass, kinda like they just won't come out the grass without very heavy manual raking (and I ain't doing that now).

So it looks like I will have one area of my back yard with about 50% leaf coverage over winter.

What will this do? How bad will it damage the grass? Is there anything I can do in early Spring when the weather improves to help out the lawn?

General tips desired.

Do you have a mulching mower by chance? A little bit of leaf mulch can actually be beneficial. If it’s a lot like a total layer or leaves you may want to rake it. Or hope for some beneficial winds and no moisture.

Just had what looks like our last real drop here in OH about three days ago. One more round against these ******* leaves.

• Informative

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
You aren’t going to like the results if you leave them. Depending on your variety, it could bounce back, but it would be best to at least throw a rake over them so they don’t choke out the grass. It’s not the end of the world, but if you let them sit there for 3 months, it will likely kill the grass. At least try and rough them up and mulch it up.

• Informative

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
You aren’t going to like the results if you leave them. Depending on your variety, it could bounce back, but it would be best to at least throw a rake over them so they don’t choke out the grass. It’s not the end of the world, but if you let them sit there for 3 months, it will likely kill the grass. At least try and rough them up and mulch it up.

Thanks! - I got out on Christmas day and raked for about 30 minutes, put a dent in them, but still quite a few leaves that I'm going to be hard pressed to get to any time soon. The rain the last 24 hours hasn't helped.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Thanks! - I got out on Christmas day and raked for about 30 minutes, put a dent in them, but still quite a few leaves that I'm going to be hard pressed to get to any time soon. The rain the last 24 hours hasn't helped.

I actually prefer working with leaves when they are wet. Easier to manhandle and less get away.

• Informative

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I haven't raked leaves in over 12 years at this house. I mow them over with a regular mower or wait for them to blow over to the neighbors' yard and that is it.

Lawn care for dummies, it rains, the sun shines, grass keeps growing.

• Funny

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Lowe's is discounting last years Kobalt battery leaf blower to probably clear shelf space for the new one coming later this spring. It was $150 and is $99 until 3/13/2019

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-40-...ctric-Leaf-Blower-Battery-Included/1000188689

Any objections to this device or Kobalt brand tools? Any recommendations is that price range? I just need something to clear off my corner lot sidewalks and driveway. I also live in a newer development with minimal leaves (for now).

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Lowe's is discounting last years Kobalt battery leaf blower to probably clear shelf space for the new one coming later this spring. It was $150 and is $99 until 3/13/2019

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-40-...ctric-Leaf-Blower-Battery-Included/1000188689

Any objections to this device or Kobalt brand tools? Any recommendations is that price range? I just need something to clear off my corner lot sidewalks and driveway. I also live in a newer development with minimal leaves (for now).

I love Kobalt hand tools. We got my MIL a 40 volt trimmer she wanted for her bday and she likes it. It's definitely held up better than my Ryobi that's on its third battery in three years.

The only thing that'd make me a little iffy is that certain Kobalt tools are being phased out with Lowes purchasing Craftsman. I'd pick a battery platform that's a little more stable if you're going to add tools to the collection.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I love Kobalt hand tools. We got my MIL a 40 volt trimmer she wanted for her bday and she likes it. It's definitely held up better than my Ryobi that's on its third battery in three years.

The only thing that'd make me a little iffy is that certain Kobalt tools are being phased out with Lowes purchasing Craftsman. I'd pick a battery platform that's a little more stable if you're going to add tools to the collection.
As a person that has had a lot of Craftsman over my 49 years, I would buy Kobalt before they integrate Craftsman. Craftsman used to be the standard. I would guess everything I've had in the last 15 years is iffy at best. Same with Dewalt when they started rebranding Black &
Decker.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

I don't have much interest in staying on the Kobalt battery platform. Just looking for simple blower that will get the job done. I really want to add the EGO battery system tools but am not ready to commit that kind of coin, despite their great products. Maybe in a couple years

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
As a person that has had a lot of Craftsman over my 49 years, I would buy Kobalt before they integrate Craftsman. Craftsman used to be the standard. I would guess everything I've had in the last 15 years is iffy at best. Same with Dewalt when they started rebranding Black &
Decker.

I have older Craftsman stuff that's still going but yeah, I've definitely moved away from them. I bought my 6 year old son a Craftsman drill for Christmas because of the price. It's absolute garbage compared to my old Craftsman drill (RIP) and the Makita battery powered tools I've replaced my own stuff with.

My hand tool collection is pretty well complete, so most of what I'm buying now is either Kreg or the brands Rockler.com carries.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I don't have much interest in staying on the Kobalt battery platform. Just looking for simple blower that will get the job done. I really want to add the EGO battery system tools but am not ready to commit that kind of coin, despite their great products. Maybe in a couple years

Alright, well, the 40V stuff works alright for doing stuff like blowing the grass of the driveway or dusting stuff off. Just don't go into it thinking you're going to be doing much leaf moving in the yard with any type of efficiency. They aren't even close to the power you get with a gas blower. When I moved leaves this year, I had to get out the rake.

• Informative
Reactions: cyfan92

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have older Craftsman stuff that's still going but yeah, I've definitely moved away from them. I bought my 6 year old son a Craftsman drill for Christmas because of the price. It's absolute garbage compared to my old Craftsman drill (RIP) and the Makita battery powered tools I've replaced my own stuff with.

My hand tool collection is pretty well complete, so most of what I'm buying now is either Kreg or the brands Rockler.com carries.

Am curious what your six year old does with a drill besides drill holes in various places throughout the house or see what it's like when he sticks his finger where the drill bit goes.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Am curious what your six year old does with a drill besides drill holes in various places throughout the house or see what it's like when he sticks his finger where the drill bit goes.

He "helps" quite a bit when I'm working on stuff. If it ever warms up again, we gave him some other tools and some wood that I cut down so he can put together a Lego storage drawer/box/building platform for himself. Last fall, he helped my parents with their deck addition by finishing off screws that my dad had started. Even stuff as simple as handing him a 2x4 and some screws to play with. Gets him outside, occupied and gets him working with his hands.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He "helps" quite a bit when I'm working on stuff. If it ever warms up again, we gave him some other tools and some wood that I cut down so he can put together a Lego storage drawer/box/building platform for himself. Last fall, he helped my parents with their deck addition by finishing off screws that my dad had started. Even stuff as simple as handing him a 2x4 and some screws to play with. Gets him outside, occupied and gets him working with his hands.

Sounds good. I just remember my MIL did daycare and one kid showed up with a cordless drill. Thankfully nothing in it, but he would run around terrorizing the other kids with it. Figured if he ever found a bit that I would get stuck helping to to resheetrock the house.