X-Factor Tonight

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I believe the X factor for this game is stopping Bobby Portis, the guy is big time and a possible lottery pick this year. 6-11, 14.5 ppg, 6.2 rbg, and 1.5 blks, definitely need to focus on our interior defense tonight to be able to slow him down. This is one matchup i wish we have Mckay for.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm worried about our rebounding every game.

But if you're 6-11 and averaging 6 rebounds a game against cake teams, I'm not going to worried about you on the glass.

That being said, offensively, we will need to find a way to stop him. But I think we'll be able to double team him every time he has the ball down low in the post. And while we aren't great at defense, this is something we do every game, so at least we will have some kind of feel for what we're supposed to be doing.

razorbackinkc

Aug 21, 2014
Kansas City, MO
I believe the X factor for this game is stopping Bobby Portis, the guy is big time and a possible lottery pick this year. 6-11, 14.5 ppg, 6.2 rbg, and 1.5 blks, definitely need to focus on our interior defense tonight to be able to slow him down. This is one matchup i wish we have Mckay for.

FWIW he is 6'10. Not sure why he is listed at 6'11.

Portis isn't a banger. He isn't a rebound machine, although he can block shots. The tough thing about stopping Portis is his accuracy from three ball land and mid range jumpers.

"Under the radar" guys to watch that can make a big difference for Arkansas:

Manny Watkins
Jacorey Williams
Anthlon Bell

Another thing to keep an eye out for is whether Alandise Harris is back from a foot injury. He didn't play against Iona due to a foot injury. He is a senior and a starter and a big, wide presence in the post.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
FWIW he is 6'10. Not sure why he is listed at 6'11.

Portis isn't a banger. He isn't a rebound machine, although he can block shots. The tough thing about stopping Portis is his accuracy from three ball land and mid range jumpers.

"Under the radar" guys to watch that can make a big difference for Arkansas:

Manny Watkins
Jacorey Williams
Anthlon Bell

Another thing to keep an eye out for is whether Alandise Harris is back from a foot injury. He didn't play against Iona due to a foot injury. He is a senior and a starter and a big, wide presence in the post.

He doesnt have to be a banger to dominate us on the inside, we have a long history of average big men having great games against us. Not saying he is average just saying you dont have to be that good to make us look bad on the inside.

Last edited:

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA
I think the X factor is a fast start. If we start like we did against Lamar, we will be in a big hole early.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Hogue needs to return to beast mode, that is my X-factor.

Im going to go out on a limb here and make the prediction that Edozie starts tonight over Hogue. Two reasons...1- Edozie has earned it and we need him early to get rebounds, and 2- Might be the best thing to happen to Hogue.

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013
Im going to go out on a limb here and make the prediction that Edozie starts tonight over Hogue. Two reasons...1- Edozie has earned it and we need him early to get rebounds, and 2- Might be the best thing to happen to Hogue.

It's hard to imagine Hogue (2nd best rebounder in Big XII last year) not starting when rebounds are important. However, Edozie has been playing great. How big is their '4' player? If he isn't a lot bigger than Hogue, i say he still starts.

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
X-Factor = Defense.

When ISU plays defense they score in transition and win. It's that simple. Solid D - Rebound - Outlet - Score.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
It's hard to imagine Hogue (2nd best rebounder in Big XII last year) not starting when rebounds are important. However, Edozie has been playing great. How big is their '4' player? If he isn't a lot bigger than Hogue, i say he still starts.

Their '4' is either 6'8" 218# Jacorey Williams or 6'6" 237# Alandise Harris (missed last game with an injury). Hogue wouldn't have an issue with either.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Defending the other team's best player is the "X factor"? Do you know what "X factor" means?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

I could see Edozie starting, but for Naz instead. That said, I don't see a change to our starting line up until McKay is available, accept against Iowa.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron