WWE Elimination Chamber/Fastlane (2018) Thread

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
After stewing over it for a day or so, I've figured out why the women's EC match worked where the men's didn't. Sure, Alexa Bliss winning the women's EC match was about as predictable as Roman Reigns winning the men's (maybe slightly less due to the Sasha factor). The difference, though: storytelling. The storytelling from the women's match even left narratives to work with heading toward WrestleMania 34.

DeVille and Rose looked competent, even good, inside the Chamber last night, but both are still green and ultimately not ready for the spotlight, thus why they were eliminated 1-2. Where do they go from here?

Mickie James was eliminated before Alexa Bliss even had a chance to enter the match, rendering their alliance moot. Where does their "alliance" go from here? Was Mickie just an insurance policy for the Chamber that’s no longer needed? Does Mickie play into some kind of face turn for Alexa in her build up to her match with Asuka or Nia Jax? Something else?

And then Sasha and Bayley. This is the second time in as many PPVs that Sasha has stabbed Bayley in the back without turning heel simply due to the circumstances: every woman for herself, and it continues the narrative of Bayley’s extreme naivety, especially of her "best friend" Sasha. Is Sasha on a fast track to turn heel, or will Bayley shock the world and turn first?

Compare that to the men. We all know what Roman is doing at Mania, but what about Strowman? I dunno. Rollins? I dunno. Cena? I dunno – Taker, maybe? Balor? I dunno. Elias? Other than play his guitar and work every crowd like a master, I dunno. The Miz? Probably prepare to defend the Intercontinental title at Mania, but no idea yet who that will be.

So how do you book the men's match and still have Reigns win and not have it be a total crap fest? Here's my idea - you can't let Strowman dominate that match the way he did:

At the point where they all "Shield-bomb" Strowman and then hit him with all four of their finishers, instead of letting him roll and convalesce outside of the ring while they all fight one another, have the four grab him again and hit him with another "Shield-bomb". All four cover him and Strowman kicks out just after the 3 count. Strowman goes apeshit and destroys everyone in the chamber before he leaves. Proceed where the final two are Cena and Reigns (it’s not ideal, but would you rather see Reigns beat Balor, Rollins, or Cena? At least beating Cena last would give him some rub), and Reigns beats Cena. Have Strowman immediately come back to the Chamber and obliterate Reigns.

This does a better job of protecting Strowman (it takes four finishers plus two super finishers plus four men pinning him to just barely beat him) plus it allows Strowman to get his heat back with two separate beat downs. Plus it helps protect Reigns from the "he’s even worse than Super Cena" rep he’s developing as opposed to what we got: "wow, Roman looks like a chump this entire match. Wow, Strowman looks like a beast this entire match. Say what? Now that it’s only Strowman and Reigns Reigns is now an unstoppable, unbeatable monster? What? Now that Reigns has beaten Strowman Strowman is now once again the unstoppable, unbeatable monster set out to destroy Reigns?" It’s just awful storytelling.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Hands down the best promo of Roman Reigns' career last night:

Word is Creative had this big promo scripted between Reigns and Heyman and Lesnar last night - except Lesnar was a no-show (supposedly Heyman wasn't there, either). Worse is Lesnar was in Vegas on Sunday, but instead of being at Elimination Chamber he was hanging out with Dana White. So last minute they were forced to scrap the promo and instead threw some talking points at Reigns and threw him to the wolves - and it's as if he found his voice.

Even if this was a 100% work where Vince told Lesnar not to show up and had Heyman hide out backstage so they could run this angle with Reigns, it's amazing what happens when you allow your talent to talk in their own voice instead of forcing them to say "thuffferin' thuccotath."

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy and Macloney

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
They're finally doing it - The Ultimate Deletion at the Hardy Compound with the one nut job that deserves to be there - Bray Wyatt.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
They're finally doing it - The Ultimate Deletion at the Hardy Compound with the one nut job that deserves to be there - Bray Wyatt.

As someone who hasn't watched TNA/Impact/Whatever it's called, what is the history/significance of the Hardy Compound? Why does it seem to be so over with fans?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
As someone who hasn't watched TNA/Impact/Whatever it's called, what is the history/significance of the Hardy Compound? Why does it seem to be so over with fans?

It all starts with a double turn - EC3 was the heel TNA champ, Matt Hardy was the face challenger. Tyrus turns on EC3, then Reby (Matt's real life wife) slips Matt a hammer during the match and he nails EC3 in the face with it and wins the title, becoming heel in the process. Matt would eventually lose the title to Drew Galloway, setting up a feud with Jeff. This would lead to an "I Quit" match that ended in a DNF after Jeff hit Matt with a swanton bomb off a high ledge and neither were responsive. This event served to "break" Matt Hardy.

The two would continue to feud, leading to this match (called the Final Deletion):

As a result of the match, Jeff would become Matt's "servant", the end result is Jeff evenutally also became broken. They as the Broken Hardys would eventually feud with Decay over the TNA tag team titles (Delete or Decay):

Eventually this would lead to "Total Nonstop Deletion (Tag Team Apocalypto)" in which many tag teams from various promotions would fight with the Broken Hardys.

For the record, all of these matches happened on the Hardy Compound.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonenation5

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
It all starts with a double turn - EC3 was the heel TNA champ, Matt Hardy was the face challenger. Tyrus turns on EC3, then Reby (Matt's real life wife) slips Matt a hammer during the match and he nails EC3 in the face with it and wins the title, becoming heel in the process. Matt would eventually lose the title to Drew Galloway, setting up a feud with Jeff. This would lead to an "I Quit" match that ended in a DNF after Jeff hit Matt with a swanton bomb off a high ledge and neither were responsive. This event served to "break" Matt Hardy.

The two would continue to feud, leading to this match (called the Final Deletion):

As a result of the match, Jeff would become Matt's "servant", the end result is Jeff evenutally also became broken. They as the Broken Hardys would eventually feud with Decay over the TNA tag team titles (Delete or Decay):

Eventually this would lead to "Total Nonstop Deletion (Tag Team Apocalypto)" in which many tag teams from various promotions would fight with the Broken Hardys.

For the record, all of these matches happened on the Hardy Compound.

Thanks for the rundown, it's much appreciated.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Match I've always wanted to see. While Roode's comparisons to Ric Flair are obvious, when he was still with TNA I always thought of him as their Randy Orton.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Charlotte wins after the rest of Riott Squad and Becky and Naomi show up and then proceed to get tossed.

Then Asuka showed up.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron