WTF Maintenance guy?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
You're welcome. Formally complain. So if it does happen again you are on record.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Maybe I am just naive and lazy (mostly lazy) but I have not changed any locks or garage code on our house we have been in for a year (been meaning to do the garage code though). However the previous owners just moved to the richer part of the neighborhood and are not crazy so I am not worried. Having the security system set up ( that they never used) helps though.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Maybe I am just naive and lazy (mostly lazy) but I have not changed any locks or garage code on our house we have been in for a year (been meaning to do the garage code though). However the previous owners just moved to the richer part of the neighborhood and are not crazy so I am not worried. Having the security system set up ( that they never used) helps though.

but what if the same cashew-eater worked on their house?!?!? Lock up your nuts!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
here I was thinking this was some little old lady. Well, hopefully she's just haunting the friend's place then.

Nope. Its kind of a sad story, really. Girl was like 24 when she died.

And its basically just across the street from where that younger realtor got shot by a random dude a couple years ago.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
My Westbrook Apts manager came into our apartment when I was in the shower. No warning. That was pretty ****ed up. I should have walked out and wagged it at him.

Helicopter D***. Impressive as hell.

Last edited:

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I never did... but the prior owner of my place kind of died so she probably didnt have much use for the key anymore.

don't need no keys when you can just go straight through the walls! :jimlad:

These reminded me of this from Seth Meyers the other night. Can't get it to start at the right time, but go to 2:55.

[video=youtube;WI94WCLqGUQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI94WCLqGUQ?start=175&end=225&version=3[/video]

Last edited:

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Worked maintenance out at SUV and Freddy court when I was in college. The answering the door totally naked thing didn't really stop much because of the workload system they used at that point. Pretty much had to knock out one thing to go to the next. I never lived off campus but I imagine quality controls were probably significantly worse since as a student I am pretty sure I was making more than the average guy who was not a state employee.

I did have a calf answer the door in SUV once... don't keep cows in your apartment if you are interested in staying there for an extended period of time.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Worked maintenance out at SUV and Freddy court when I was in college. The answering the door totally naked thing didn't really stop much because of the workload system they used at that point. Pretty much had to knock out one thing to go to the next. I never lived off campus but I imagine quality controls were probably significantly worse since as a student I am pretty sure I was making more than the average guy who was not a state employee.

I did have a calf answer the door in SUV once... don't keep cows in your apartment if you are interested in staying there for an extended period of time.

Pardon me?

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
You don't know who she gave keys out to though.

Then again, I'm the type of person who deadbolts their door even though they live in a quiet neighborhood surrounded by elderly people.

Wait, wait, wait. You live in CHA?

:biglaugh:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
In my brooklyn apartment, the neighbor across the hall had a lock that was keyed the same as the laundry room... So, in essence, everyone in the building could unlock their door. We found out when she accidentally locked her keys in her apartment and came over to borrow our laundry key. We installed a 2nd lock of our own choosing after that.

Why not just add the inside chain lock or flip lock like they have in most hotel rooms?

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Pardon me?

Big dogs coming to the door was a common thing. This was in August where a gentleman had a calf straight up living in his apartment with him. No cowpies outside of said apartment, there are not fenced in areas behind, only in front so we just assumed he was letting it do its thing in the apartment. That same day we had an incident where someone abandoned their apartment and when we went in it there was an abundance of adult material, objects and tissue paper THROUGHOUT. Same day... cow in an apartment and having to call the cleaning crew to help clean up what was possibly the most foul thing I have encountered in my life. Good times, good times.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
When I moved to Texas, all apartments had a second deadbolt that could only be worked from the inside to prevent this situation. Of course, in Texas, you could have shot that dude no questions asked, so I guess that deadbolt is for both person's protection.

While we're discussing crappy/crazy landlords, my wife lived in Boston a while back. Right before she was moving out, her landlord decided she was going to come back to the US from Kahzakstan and just stay with my wife for a few days. My wife had only ever communicated with the landlord via email or phone conversations, so this person was a complete unknown. This was not too long after the Marathon bombing, so she was a bit on-edge anyway. Landlord's logic was "I own the place, I can be there whenever I want, plus I'm giving you rent that's too cheap, so you have to let me in."

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Why not just add the inside chain lock or flip lock like they have in most hotel rooms?

This was my first thought. Yeah, Hey Suze might still come in and cop your nuts while you're out, but at least when you're at home he can't sneak in while you're asleep.

You know, unless you're into that sort of thing.