WTF. Here we go again..

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This basic info is in a few other threads.

I agree though. Bring on the Big East. The financial hit won't be AS bad as it could be after they add us, KU and K-State and renegotiate the TV deal.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
This basic info is in a few other threads.

I agree though. Bring on the Big East. The financial hit won't be AS bad as it could be after they add us, KU and K-State and renegotiate the TV deal.

Sorry, didn't want to wade through a thousand posts.

Btw, nice work on the Jason Berryman Citizenship Award over on WRNL. Love it!

LZclone

Oct 2, 2008
Mahomet IL via Laurens IA
Lets just hurry up and join the Big east and get this over with.

Here I go again. The landscape of college football right now makes me sick to my stomach.

Dan Beebe should have been fired a year ago for the band aid fix to Nebraska and Colorado leaving. He allowed Texas to push him around and sell everyone on spreading the revenue between 10 teams instead of 12. The Big XII should have been using the Big 10 model for a TV network. IT appears the SEC has, the ACC has, the PAC 12 has... the Big XII has the longhorn network. The leagues leadership, TV deals, bowl alignments are all sub par, hell they are sub WAC or MAC.

With that being said, the new realignment talk is 'all about the money'. IF any league does NOT deserve to be an AQ league it is the Big East

History alone got Nebraska into the B1G. If it was 'all about the money' the TV sets in St. Louis and Kansas city should have brought Mizzou to the league. Now from Nebraska's perspective it is 'all about the money', and good for them... they will get it. In the last 20 years there have been 23 teams identified as National Champions in Football, here are the winners grouped with the conference they were in when the title was won. (3 years had 2 teams prior to BCS)

SEC - 9
Auburn: 2010
Alabama: 2009 - 1992
Florida: 2008 - 2006 - 1996
LSU: 2007 - 2003 (s)
Tennessee: 1998

Big XII - 5
Texas: 2005
Nebraska: 1997 (s) - 1995 - 1994
Oklahoma: 2000

Pac 10 - 3
USC: 2004 - 2003 (s)
Washington: 1991 (s)

Big 10 - 2
Ohio State: 2002
Michigan: 1997 (s)

ACC - 2
Florida State: 1999 - 1993

Big East - 2
Miami: 2001 - 1991 (s)

In the last 50 years only 1 school not named Notre Dame and not a member of a BCS Conference has been crowned National Champions... BYU 1984

In those 50 years several titles were shared, but this is the breakdown by current conference alignment

SEC - 17
Bama 8 - Florida 3 - LSU 2 - Auburn 1 - Tennessee 1 - Georgia 1 - Arkansas 1

Big 10 - 14
Nebraska 5 - Ohio State 4 - Penn State 2 - Michigan State 2 - Michigan 1

ACC - 9
Miami 5 - Florida State 2 - Georgia Tech 1 - Clemson 1

Pac 10 - 9
USC 7 - Wash 1 - Colorado 1

Big XII - 8
Oklahoma 4 - Texas 4

ND - 5

Big East - 1
Pitt 1

BYU - 1

and yet it would appear that the best option out there is to 'dissolve the Big XII'?

I believe the Big XII will have to go back to 12 for the Conference Championship and continued AQ status (which won't leave unless Texas and OU do). THE Conference Championship will be part of the AQ system to the eventual 8 or so teams in the eventual playoff system down the road. My choices for 3 replacements address the football need, but I also used Men's BB as a factor.

1. ND - replaces the National titles Nebraska took to the B1G, probably won't happen, OK definitely won’t happen... praying may help!

2. BYU - the only team not named Notre Dame and not from a AQ conference to win a National Title in the last 50 years.

3. Pitt - if anything it will start the dismantling of the AQ conference that should be dismantled. Big time FB, Bigger time MBB

4. Louisville – Don’t stop with Pitt, bring in the Cardinals as well. There is a solid TV market and this brings the state of Kentucky into play.

5. Cincinnati – Why stop with 2 when you can take 3.

6. Boise State - Idaho is Not Salt Lake City, but a solid choice and they DESERVE to be in an AQ conference now.

7. Air Force - can't go wrong with a service academy, a nice geographic replacement for CU and will go well with BYU.

8. Memphis - Big TV market - MBB helps puts the Tigers on the list

9. Wyoming - Why not???

10.... etc. Don’t want or need another Texas school, but now you go to TCU, Houston then I suppose hit the other former SWC teams SMU (we know they would come) Rice, whatever, if we get this far down the list the Big XII is in trouble.

I would be lying if I didn't say that my ONLY concern is that Iowa State end up in a BCS AQ Conference. Right now it is up to OU to hold the Big XII together. If they stay, and Texas stays, and we GO GET 3 Quality Teams. The BIG XII will remain as one of if not THE MOST SIGNIFICANT Conference in College Sports!

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
ISU is like the skinny little white guy in prison. We've been walking around with our cheeks clenched all this time and just getting the crap beat out of us for doing so. So finally, last year when we were on the verge of being beaten to death, we found one of the biggest guys in the prison and said "Alright, I'll let this guy do it, so at least he can protect me". So we unclenched. The guy had his way with us, but then instead of protecting us, he said "Thanks, you're on your own though" and left us to die.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
ISU is like the skinny little white guy in prison. We've been walking around with our cheeks clenched all this time and just getting the crap beat out of us for doing so. So finally, last year when we were on the verge of being beaten to death, we found one of the biggest guys in the prison and said "Alright, I'll let this guy do it, so at least he can protect me". So we unclenched. The guy had his way with us, but then instead of protecting us, he said "Thanks, you're on your own though" and left us to die.

My 500th post is replying to a post comparing ISU to prison rape. Pretty accurate comparison though. :yes:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

This post is disconcerting on many levels.