Wow Scott Drew is a horrible coach

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
The only thing that keeps that guy hired is that he is such a good recruiter. I have not seen that much wasted talent on a basketball court for a while. He has the number 1 pick and a few 5 and 4 star guys. His team gets blown out by Iowa State a team he picked to finish last in the conferance. KU treated them really bad at Baylor. I wish we could have his talent. I like our guys and everything don't get me wrong.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
How bad will Baylor be when they get busted for whatever is bringing in the top recruits? I won't complain, the new conference is going to be tough without the worst two programs anymore.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
How bad will Baylor be when they get busted for whatever is bringing in the top recruits? I won't complain, the new conference is going to be tough without the worst two programs anymore.

There's some truth to this, but Colorado, and to a lesser extent Nebraska, are playing well this year. Meanwhile Baylor and K-State seem to be coming down from their program highs. The timing seems to be ripe for ISU moving back up the pecking order.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There's some truth to this, but Colorado, and to a lesser extent Nebraska, are playing well this year. Meanwhile Baylor and K-State seem to be coming down from their program highs. The timing seems to be ripe for ISU moving back up the pecking order.

Unfortunately ISU can move up two spots without making up any ground. :spinny:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm not going to kick a guy that took over probably an impossible situation at Baylor at a time no one in their right mind would want to take over a program like that. The 2003 scandal with the murder and multiple NCAA violations was enough to cripple a program for a LONG time considering they only had 7 scholarship players back in 2005. They made the NCAA tourney in 2008 and 2010 which is more than we can say about our program and made the NIT in 2009.

To say Scott Drew is a terrible coach is just an ignorant statement considering what he has accomplished so far at Baylor. His team may be under-achieving right now but the man can recruit and he took a program under probation and at rock bottom and turned them into a NCAA tourney in a much shorter time than most people could have given the circumstances.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not going to kick a guy that took over probably an impossible situation at Baylor at a time no one in their right mind would want to take over a program like that. The 2003 scandal with the murder and multiple NCAA violations was enough to cripple a program for a LONG time considering they only had 7 scholarship players back in 2005. They made the NCAA tourney in 2008 and 2010 which is more than we can say about our program and made the NIT in 2009.

To say Scott Drew is a terrible coach is just an ignorant statement considering what he has accomplished so far at Baylor. His team may be under-achieving right now but the man can recruit and he took a program under probation and at rock bottom and turned them into a NCAA tourney in a much shorter time than most people could have given the circumstances.

Head coaches cover up murders all the time, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. :twitcy:

I watch and listen to Drew, and wonder what he could possibly 'say' to recruit players. If it's all on the up and up, and he somehow gets players like that, Fred and TJ should be able to land McD's AAs every year. I realize part of it is that Texas is an easy recruiting ground, but the guy just doesn't strike me as an NBA aspiring player's dream coach.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Well he apparently was good enough to get Ekpe Udoh drafted #6 last year and a lot of people have Perry Jones as the #1 for 2011 right now. Must be doing something right to get guys like that...

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Couldn't possibly be as bad as they were when Drew took over, unless their players start shooting each other again and they get into so much trouble they are not allowed to play any non-conference games.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
To say Scott Drew is a terrible coach is just an ignorant statement considering what he has accomplished so far at Baylor

Nobody is saying the guy can't recruit. He has as much talent as Kansas right now. They are the only team that can hang with KU on talent alone. However, his players have no idea what they are doing. They have a faster version of what Greg Mcdermott has going on. By the way if your judging coaching on guys getting drafted, Let me introduce you to Craig Brackins. Gmac must be a great coach in order to get Craig drafter. Either that or he (Brack) has massive talent.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008

Didn't realize this was the offical website of the Scott Drew fanclub. Yeah, he has done a great job getting them here but there is a big difference between recruiting and coaching. To suggest that he doesn't get outcoached consistently is also ignorant.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm wondering if he doesn't attract recruits to Baylor by allowing them to "just play" and showcase their skills. Or, alternatively, maybe there is something to be said for having a mix of stars and "glue" guys who are willing to take a backseat and do all the dirty work?

Either way, I don't think he's a bad coach overall, if the object of the game is to win (and it is). I think this year he just has a mix of extremely talented players who don't necessarily play well as a team.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
cant complain to much that he sucks. hopefully baylor returns to their rightful place in the cellar of the big 12 now that colorado and nebraska are leaving. even though CU seems to be on its way up right now. if baylor and k state continue to suck we should be consistently middle of the pack and challenging for the big 12 title every few years

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
cant complain to much that he sucks. hopefully baylor returns to their rightful place in the cellar of the big 12 now that colorado and nebraska are leaving.

I don't think that Baylor will be in the cellar any time soon. I don't know how he does it, but Drew has huge talent coming in over the next couple of years....

Baylor basketball gets commitment from elite No. 4-ranked national recruit | College Sports Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | The Dallas Morning News

Earlier Thursday, Baylor received oral commitments from Westchester Country Day School teammates Quincy Miller and Deuce Bello.
A 6-10, 195-pound forward, Miller is the No. 4 recruit in the nation by ESPNU and the No. 2 power forward by Scout.com. He also is a dynamite rebounder and shot-blocker who has NBA potential.
According to Scout.com, "Miller is a hybrid forward who plays facing the basket. His athleticism and quickness create problems for defenders as he easily gets to the rim and finishes with explosion. Shoots 3s, but its an area he can improve. Elite prospect.''
Bello, meanwhile, is a 6-3, 175-pound forward who is the No. 50th-ranked player in the nation by ESPNU. Here's what Scout.com had to say about Bello: "Potential elite prospect on the wing. Can play mulitple positions. Explosive, quick and a great leaper. Shot has progressed and he's got some physical ability that will put (him) in a category higher than his peers.''
Last year Drew signed Duncanville's Perry Jones, who was the No. 7th-ranked player in the nation by ESPNU. And Baylor already has received an oral commitment from Isaiah Austin of Grace Prep in Mansfield, who is the No. 4 player in the nation by ESPNU for the Class of 2012.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Drew is known throughout coaching circles as a negative, dirty recruiter. I think it is pretty likely he also pays for his players... but then again, I think most of our competition does, so that is not out of the ordinary in big time college hoops.

I bet Bobby Knight absolutley loved calling the Baylor KU game last night with Baylor getting throttled. He apparently had a confrontation with Drew in at the Big 12 meetings when Knight still coached at Tech, Knight called him out on his classless recruiting after Drew was sending pictures of Drew, Knight, and Gillespie to Texas recruits saying "which one of these coaches has signed a Mcdonald's AA?" or something to that effect.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I can't speak to Drew's recruiting methods (they're clearly effective), but I did watch Saturday's game and two things were very clear: 1) this is the best-coached ISU team I've seen in a long time (and the players are enjoying it too) -- kudos to Freddie and staff (& Jamie P for taking the "risk"), and 2) Baylor looked to be very poorly coached. All that talent and he seemed to just roll the ball out there and let them play. I like our present and our future even more.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Drew is known throughout coaching circles as a negative, dirty recruiter. I think it is pretty likely he also pays for his players... but then again, I think most of our competition does, so that is not out of the ordinary in big time college hoops.

I bet Bobby Knight absolutley loved calling the Baylor KU game last night with Baylor getting throttled. He apparently had a confrontation with Drew in at the Big 12 meetings when Knight still coached at Tech, Knight called him out on his classless recruiting after Drew was sending pictures of Drew, Knight, and Gillespie to Texas recruits saying "which one of these coaches has signed a Mcdonald's AA?" or something to that effect.

I didn't think Bobby was on his game last night. There were a couple of plays where he was flat out wrong. On one he commented how the post players were just watching the shot go up and weren't getting a body on someone which resulted in an offensive rebound and put back. I thought the post player under the basket did and the other post was pulled out of the play to the other side. I rewatched on TiVo and the post chose the closest post to block out and did rather well but the other KU post came from nearly the 3 point line on the back side and got the put back. It seemed pretty obvious to me but Bobby went out of his way to point out something that maybe was true on other plays but didn't happen on that play. There were plenty of other legitimate screw ups when he could have made this observation.

I like Bobby better as a commentator than a coach, but that isn't saying much.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'm wondering if he doesn't attract recruits to Baylor by allowing them to "just play" and showcase their skills. Or, alternatively, maybe there is something to be said for having a mix of stars and "glue" guys who are willing to take a backseat and do all the dirty work?

Either way, I don't think he's a bad coach overall, if the object of the game is to win (and it is). I think this year he just has a mix of extremely talented players who don't necessarily play well as a team.

He may be okay as a coach although he does not appear to be able to motivate his team. They came out flat the first half last night and were outhustled by the visitors. The team did not play smart as the Caucasians disrupted them on defense.

The second half they played like they wanted to win although it was a breakeven half. Obviously, Perry Jones is not the number one pick any more per Bobby who likes the Morris twins.

Morris Twins ===> Jones boys.

The question becomes if Drew will do as well recruiting if Baylor has a bad year. Many of his future recruits were locked up last Oct. Looking at his team now, they look like they our in need of a leader like DG.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron