Worst Movies Ever

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You will get dumbed for that but you are right.... poster should probably explain why this is the worst movie ever!!!!

A historical account can also be a bad movie and doesn't mean anyone is in support of such things.

Overreactive hot takes are always good for threads though.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
You will get dumbed for that but you are right.... poster should probably explain why this is the worst movie ever!!!!
No, he absolutely isn't. Not liking a movie does not mean you support pedophiles.

However, since you (and presumably @CycloneVet) asked, the most benign reason is that the movie makes a specific type of child trafficking, which is not common, appear much more prevalent than it actually is. In addition, the person the movie is based on has been accused of sexual misconduct, the organization does not provide the counseling and services it says it does, and in some cases actually leads to an increase in children being trafficked.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Nah it’s truly dumb to live an existence calling 50% of the nation’s adults pedophiles. “Dumb” is far too polite for the bottomless pit of insecurity you’ve fallen into. Seek help turning your life around.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyrocks

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Absolutely. Poster gave no reason why the movie was the worst.

Several posters have listed movies I really like with very little reason.

If I called any of them a pedophile over it the rational thing would be to admit me to a mental health facility because I clearly would have completely lost my mind.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
No, he absolutely isn't. Not liking a movie does not mean you support pedophiles.

However, since you (and presumably @CycloneVet) asked, the most benign reason is that the movie makes a specific type of child trafficking, which is not common, appear much more prevalent than it actually is. In addition, the person the movie is based on has been accused of sexual misconduct, the organization does not provide the counseling and services it says it does, and in some cases actually leads to an increase in children being trafficked.
I would argue ANY child trafficking is horrific. Basically in the movie ONE dads kids were kidnapped and the "hero" tracked them down and reunited the kids to their dad. Was this one of the best movies ever made??....not at all. But definitely not even close to being the " worst". I appreciate you posting your viewpoint but you really didn't articulate why the actual movie was "the worst ever".

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Several posters have listed movies I really like with very little reason.

If I called any of them a pedophile over it the rational thing would be to admit me to a mental health facility because I clearly would have completely lost my mind.
I didn't accuse poster of being a pedophile just for the record.

• Disagree
Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I would argue ANY child trafficking is horrific. Basically in the movie ONE dads kids were kidnapped and the "hero" tracked them down and reunited the kids to their dad. Was this one of the best movies ever made??....not at all. But definitely not even close to being the " worst". I appreciate you posting your viewpoint but you really didn't articulate why the actual movie was "the worst ever".

Maybe you two should apologize for calling strangers pedophiles. Crazy thought, I know.

It’s pretty easy to be a decent person in some cases like this.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Because it’s a dumb action movie lionizing a piece of **** and a terrible organization

Almost every movie mentioned in this thread is nowhere close to “the worst movie ever” Why is this the movie that gets your hackles up?

Edit: fixed typo and removed titanic example because the poster explicitly said it was just due to their own personal taste

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Because it’s a dumb action movie lionizing a piece of **** and a terrible organization

Almost every movie mentioned in this thread is no where close to “the worst movie ever” (I mean, Titanic? Really?) Why is this the movie that gets your hackles up?

Star Trek into Darkness is easily in top third of recent action sci fi movies and objectively well acted and filmed…and I love the original movie/show it reboots…but yeah I’m a normal person who shouldn’t be banned if I had called the guy who disagrees with me a “pedophile”. We are in absolutely crazy times.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
So can we get back on track here?

8f0bd330-f17c-469c-bca2-135488cc6384_text.gif

Reactions: WooBadger18 and Jer

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
hNkCp03.gif

The Truman Show
The Cable Guy
Dumb & Dumber

Carrey has some other films I've enjoyed, too, even if not universally acclaimed like those...

Man on the Moon
The Majestic
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I'm going to exempt his "very Jim Carrey" 90s comedies outside of Dumb and Dumber because I'm not sure all of them would have aged well. I liked most of them as a wee lad, however.

The Cable Guy is a nice choice. It wasn't what people expected of it at the time, but it's aged well. And The Truman Show is a legitimately great film that I think everybody should enjoy.

Star Trek into Darkness is easily in top third of recent action sci fi movies and objectively well acted and filmed…and I love the original movie/show it reboots…but yeah I’m a normal person who shouldn’t be banned if I had called the guy who disagrees with me a “pedophile”. We are in absolutely crazy times.

Just not well-written.

Movies that got nothin' but "Hey, remember this other movie that was much better than this one?" are a particular peeve of mine. There are plenty of meta or self-satirizing films that I enjoy...

Scream
Deadpool
This is the End
Shaun of the Dead
and Hot Fuzz (really most Edgar Wright films)
Birdman
Blazing Saddles
(really the whole Brooks opus)

...because they're funny or make an interesting point about their genre conventions and tropes. But when a "big" film that needs to build its own universe and mythology to succeed on its deepest levels, like a Star Wars or Star Trek or The Lord of the Rings, has too many callbacks that take you out of the film and too many instances of undercutting its own mythology... then you'll never really connect with it.

I think your statement says something about the poor state of action films right now. I liked the first Star Trek reboot and Beyond as mindless action films because they weren't too derivative. But there's no reason action films can't have creative sci-fi elements, sly social satire, or memorable characters...

Mad Max tetralogy (especially Fury Road and The Road Warrior)
Indiana Jones trilogy
The Matrix (or at least the first one)
Die Hard
Speed
(and some of the other "Die Hard on a _____" films)
Heat
Aliens
First Blood
Robocop
Starship Troopers
Top Gun: Maverick
The Terminator
/ Terminator 2
North by Northwest
The French Connection
Ben-Hur
Gladiator

None of these might be great literature, but they aren't stupid or derivative/insulting to an original.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I didn’t call anyone a pedophile, but you keep accusing me to fit your narrative.
Dude, you literally asked someone if they liked pedophiles for saying a movie is the worst ever.

But back to the topic.

Ishtar hands down is the worst movie ever.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Carrey has some other films I've enjoyed, too, even if not universally acclaimed like those...

Man on the Moon
The Majestic
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I'm going to exempt his "very Jim Carrey" 90s comedies outside of Dumb and Dumber because I'm not sure all of them would have aged well. I liked most of them as a wee lad, however.

The Cable Guy is a nice choice. It wasn't what people expected of it at the time, but it's aged well. And The Truman Show is a legitimately great film that I think everybody should enjoy.

Just not well-written.

Movies that got nothin' but "Hey, remember this other movie that was much better than this one?" are a particular peeve of mine. There are plenty of meta or self-satirizing films that I enjoy...

Scream
Deadpool
This is the End
Shaun of the Dead
and Hot Fuzz (really most Edgar Wright films)
Birdman
Blazing Saddles
(really the whole Brooks opus)

...because they're funny or make an interesting point about their genre conventions and tropes. But when a "big" film that needs to build its own universe and mythology to succeed on its deepest levels, like a Star Wars or Star Trek or The Lord of the Rings, has too many callbacks that take you out of the film and too many instances of undercutting its own mythology... then you'll never really connect with it.

I think your statement says something about the poor state of action films right now. I liked the first Star Trek reboot and Beyond as mindless action films because they weren't too derivative. But there's no reason action films can't have creative sci-fi elements, sly social satire, or memorable characters...

Mad Max tetralogy (especially Fury Road and The Road Warrior)
Indiana Jones trilogy
The Matrix (or at least the first one)
Die Hard
Speed
(and some of the other "Die Hard on a _____" films)
Heat
Aliens
First Blood
Robocop
Starship Troopers
Top Gun: Maverick
The Terminator
/ Terminator 2
North by Northwest
The French Connection
Ben-Hur
Gladiator

None of these might be great literature, but they aren't stupid or derivative/insulting to an original.

It’s a 6/10 in a genre with a lot of trash. We’re talking about worst movie of all time, not everything below a Kubrick movie. I just used it as an example.

The point is you’re fine to think Into Darkness is the worst movie in history if it is to you. Totally fine if you think no worse movie has ever been made, you don’t even need to justify it.

If I called you a pedophile over it I should be immediately institutionalized for being dangerously ill in the head.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It’s a 6/10 in a genre with a lot of trash. We’re talking about worst movie of all time, not everything below a Kubrick movie. I just used it as an example.

The point is you’re fine to think Into Darkness is the worst movie in history if it is to you. Totally fine if you think no worse movie has ever been made, you don’t even need to justify it.

I'm obviously a snob in this, but I think to be truly terrible a film has to do something offensive to cinema. Low-budget gore films that weren't intended to be any good but just to show some boobs and blood splatter who never had a chance in the first place are bad but not the "worst film of all time."

Taking $200+ million dollars and setting it on fire making a cheap knockoff of A New Hope or The Wrath of Khan is so creatively bankrupt that it is an offense to cinema of that scale. So, I hate it.

:)

Reactions: Cyismymonkey