Worst Golf Holes in Iowa

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Is it #3 at Waveland that's the long narrow par 5? That one doesn't usually bode well for a guy like myself who struggles keeping it straight for long distances.

• Agree
Reactions: dmdom

octaviouspoon

Jul 25, 2016
Is it #3 at Waveland that's the long narrow par 5? That one doesn't usually bode well for a guy like myself who struggles keeping it straight for long distances.

That's the one. For the last year or two the white tee boxes have played at the bottom of the hill which makes that hole significantly easier. Also water on the right has been dried up.

• Informative
Reactions: Tailg8er

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Timberline in Peosta has the last 4 holes in a row called Demons Run. They call it one of the toughest final 4 hole runs in the Midwest. It is very challenging.

• Friendly
Reactions: CyCrazy

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
I've found hole #17 at TCI to be a bear. Maybe because I'm usually mentally and physically exhausted by that point in the course, but reaching that long par 5 in regulation seems such a chore. Takes some fun out of the home hole, too.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Timberline in Peosta has the last 4 holes in a row called Demons Run. They call it one of the toughest final 4 hole runs in the Midwest. It is very challenging.

Hmmm, I don’t think I’ve even heard of this one, much less played it. Looks intriguing. May have to check it out. Any other courses around that way it could be paired up with for a good, overnight road trip? Could, maybe, pair it up with Deere Run, but that’s a bit of a stretch. Hour and a half between courses.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I've found hole #17 at TCI to be a bear. Maybe because I'm usually mentally and physically exhausted by that point in the course, but reaching that long par 5 in regulation seems such a chore. Takes some fun out of the home hole, too.

#17 and #18 at TCI are both tough holes, no doubt. Not sure I’d say either of them is “dumb” though. Maybe I’m thinking about this topic differently.

I think 18 is the tougher of the 2. Unless you hit a really good drive...far enough but not too far...that approach can be a long one. Forget about it if the wind is into you, but it’s a pretty rare wind to be directly in your face on the 2nd.

#6 out there can be a pretty tough hole too.

CliveClone17

Feb 24, 2015
I almost put #3 at Waveland on my original list but I didn’t because it’s not necessarily a bad design but it also doesn’t leave many options. You can try to smoke a drive to the 30 yard landing area with death left and right to have the opportunity to go for green or bail left or you can lay up leaving a second shot to an even tighter area.
I almost put this hole on my original list but I suppose it’s not necessarily a bad design just bad options. You can try to smoke a drive to the 30 yard landing area with jail left and right to have a chance to get your second up by the green (or bail left) or you can take an iron off the tee and leave yourself with a tougher second shot to tighter landing area. Tough hole.

CliveClone17

Feb 24, 2015
I almost put #3 at Waveland on my original list but I didn’t because it’s not necessarily a bad design but it also doesn’t leave many options. You can try to smoke a drive to the 30 yard landing area with death left and right to have the opportunity to go for green or bail left or you can lay up leaving a second shot to an even tighter area.

I almost put this hole on my original list but I suppose it’s not necessarily a bad design just bad options. You can try to smoke a drive to the 30 yard landing area with jail left and right to have a chance to get your second up by the green (or bail left) or you can take an iron off the tee and leave yourself with a tougher second shot to tighter landing area. Tough hole.
Sorry double post.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Someone in the "Favorite Golf Courses" thread started talking about starting a thread based on the worst golf hole designs in Iowa and I thought it was a great idea. Don't post here much, but I play a lot of golf and this topic interests me. Just for starters, some of my "winners"

1. Jester Park #11 - it started the conversation. Hitting a 8-9 iron off the tee of a par 5 is not ideal design.
2. River Valley (Adel) #12 - Island green par 3 that is essentially a blind shot due to the dang cattails that grow to a height of about 15 feet. Tee is not well marked for distance so you are guessing on that as well. Can hit perfect shot and end up in the drink.
3. River Valley #18 - the green is completely ridiculous. Three-tiered with no good place to put the pin. Should have a clown's nose to putt through.

Those are the first 3 that came to mind for me, although there are a few at Beaver Creek that come to mind (particularly the South course).

What does everyone have to add?
I forgot about 18 at RV. I’m pretty sure I hit like 5-6 putts there before just picking up my ball and storming out of there furious. The hole was right on one of the tiers and it was ******* impossible.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I forgot about 18 at RV. I’m pretty sure I hit like 5-6 putts there before just picking up my ball and storming out of there furious. The hole was right on one of the tiers and it was ******* impossible.

Yeah...this hole, as the OP pointed out...is real dumb. I’ve played that course after it had been burnt by a long summer, and it almost looked like they shaved the grass on the hill up to the green on 18.

Let’s say the pin is on the front tier and you hit your approach to the 3rd tier. Very good possibility you could be hitting a full 9 iron for par.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
#15 at Copper Creek used to be stupid. Only about 110-120 yards from the back of the tees, but there used to be a tall tree that hung over the front of the green. The hole itself wasn’t a design flaw, but leaving that tree there when they created the hole was unfair, at best.

The tree came down a couple years ago.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Yeah...this hole, as the OP pointed out...is real dumb. I’ve played that course after it had been burnt by a long summer, and it almost looked like they shaved the grass on the hill up to the green on 18.

Let’s say the pin is on the front tier and you hit your approach to the 3rd tier. Very good possibility you could be hitting a full 9 iron for par.
It’s been 2 years since I’ve played there but that is still one of my favorite courses around the area for what you get price wise.

Reactions: Chipper

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Someone in the "Favorite Golf Courses" thread started talking about starting a thread based on the worst golf hole designs in Iowa and I thought it was a great idea. Don't post here much, but I play a lot of golf and this topic interests me. Just for starters, some of my "winners"

1. Jester Park #11 - it started the conversation. Hitting a 8-9 iron off the tee of a par 5 is not ideal design.
2. River Valley (Adel) #12 - Island green par 3 that is essentially a blind shot due to the dang cattails that grow to a height of about 15 feet. Tee is not well marked for distance so you are guessing on that as well. Can hit perfect shot and end up in the drink.
3. River Valley #18 - the green is completely ridiculous. Three-tiered with no good place to put the pin. Should have a clown's nose to putt through.

Those are the first 3 that came to mind for me, although there are a few at Beaver Creek that come to mind (particularly the South course).

What does everyone have to add?

Probably nailed mine with these three. Always thought it'd be fun to buy one of the houses at RV near 12 and 18 and listen to the struggle...

Honorable mention to copper creek #9 and it's pencil thin fairway, with trees.

Reactions: isutrevman

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I thought about #5 also. Like you said though, that’s probably only the first time a person plays it though. After that, it just takes a smart shot off the tee, which isn’t a bad thing for a par 4. If that tee shot was what a person had to take on if it was a par 5, it would definitely fall in the “stupid” category (in a way like #11 at Jester).

Here is one:

#14 at Bos Landen (Par 5)
- a layup required tee shot (in my opinion, a par 5 should not “require” a layup off the tee. Now...if a person decided to layup off the tee, maybe to set up an angle on their 3rd into the green, fine, but requiring it is stupid)
- the 2nd shot is also a required layup. I have never seen a person even have a remote chance to reach that green in 2. Not one time. And that 2nd is no picnic
- the 3rd/approach is way below the green surface (think #11 at Veenker). Left is dead. Right is dead. Short is essentially dead (very, very long grass in front). Long leaves you chipping downhill to a green that slopes severely back to front.

Dumb, on an otherwise fun course.

#4 at Bos is very close to “dumb”, but I’m not sure it necessarily fits the category. Close though.

Now I remember 14. Only played it once, but laid up close to the edge. Managed to hit a safe second too. Third was short in the crappy lumpy stuff short. Took two to get on. Three putted.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

I haven't played much golf in Iowa the last 20 years, but this is first one that came to mind for me. It's probably been 10+ years since I played here, I only played there once, but I remember everything about the hole.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron