Worst Golf Holes in Iowa

CliveClone17

Feb 24, 2015
Someone in the "Favorite Golf Courses" thread started talking about starting a thread based on the worst golf hole designs in Iowa and I thought it was a great idea. Don't post here much, but I play a lot of golf and this topic interests me. Just for starters, some of my "winners"

1. Jester Park #11 - it started the conversation. Hitting a 8-9 iron off the tee of a par 5 is not ideal design.
2. River Valley (Adel) #12 - Island green par 3 that is essentially a blind shot due to the dang cattails that grow to a height of about 15 feet. Tee is not well marked for distance so you are guessing on that as well. Can hit perfect shot and end up in the drink.
3. River Valley #18 - the green is completely ridiculous. Three-tiered with no good place to put the pin. Should have a clown's nose to putt through.

Those are the first 3 that came to mind for me, although there are a few at Beaver Creek that come to mind (particularly the South course).

What does everyone have to add?

• Agree
Reactions: akellar

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
#7 Dunlap Iowa. It only plays like 95 yards but the green is a postage stamp. The green also sits below the end of the fairway, so it's a blind shot. You're actually better off hitting about a 80-85 yard shot and let the ball roll down the hill to the green. I freaking hate that hole!

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
That was me, and I have a few to add but will hang back a listen to see if mine come up first.

I complete agree with #11 at Jester and #18 at River Valley (#12 didn’t come to my mind, but I can see how it could).

Again...I’ll sit back and listen. Thanks for starting it.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Westwood in Newton, #11. River snakes down the middle of the fairway, forest on the left side and a highway on the right. That hole owns a lot of my balls over the years.

Reactions: enisthemenace

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I always hated the par 3 at toad valley. Maybe #7??? Built on a side slope with a green that runs away to the left. Impossible to hit the green. It was 20 years ago tho so not sure I remember it exactly or if it has changed.

Reactions: enisthemenace

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Westwood in Newton, #11. River snakes down the middle of the fairway, forest on the left side and a highway on the right. That hole owns a lot of my balls over the years.

I remember thinking that hole looked awesome standing on the tee the first time I played that course. Then thought to myself “what the hell am I supposed to do here”?

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonedave25

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I always hated the par 3 at toad valley. Maybe #7??? Built on a side slope with a green that runs away to the left. Impossible to hit the green. It was 20 years ago tho so not sure I remember it exactly or if it has changed.

Correct hole and you describe it accurately. I would add that there is hardly any fringe collar on the left before the surrounding rough area falls away. It’s not a tough up if you’re left, but it is annoying to not be able to see the green suface. If you miss right, on the other hand...good luck. Missing right puts you on top of a hill, chipping down to that narrow green that slopes away from you. There is a tree there too, so a flop isn’t really an option. That is an awful up and down.

Reactions: Cyclone.TV

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Correct hole and you describe it accurately. I would add that there is hardly any fringe collar on the left before the surrounding rough area falls away. It’s not a tough up if you’re left, but it is annoying to not be able to see the green suface. If you miss right, on the other hand...good luck. Missing right puts you on top of a hill, chipping down to that narrow green that slopes away from you. There is a tree there too, so a flop isn’t really an option. That is an awful up and down.

Exactly the one. You almost had to land it 5 ft right into the short color and let it run up and left. I would write 4 before I even hit my tee shot.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
There's definitely a few at veenker....
#7 for sure. I think #2 green could be re-done to make it a fun, driveable par 4.

The other quirky ones I kinda like. If the wind isn't bad, #11 can be fun. Although the complexion of the hole changed a few years back when they lost a huge greenside tree.

#15 usually messes up my round, but getting on #16 green in 2 is an awesome (albeit rare) feat.

Reactions: isutrevman

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
#7 at Otter Creek. Either move the tee up 50 yards or change it to a par 5. It plays into the wind 9 times out of 10.

Oh, and don’t put the pin in the back right when most approaches are coming in from 200 yards.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
There's definitely a few at veenker....
There's a hole there where you tee incredibly lower than the green, up and to the left. Good amount of trees on your left side so a good shot is necessary if you try to go straight.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
7 and 15 generally get their fair share of colorful language. 5 would incite plenty of swearing if you didn't know how the course lays out.

I thought about #5 also. Like you said though, that’s probably only the first time a person plays it though. After that, it just takes a smart shot off the tee, which isn’t a bad thing for a par 4. If that tee shot was what a person had to take on if it was a par 5, it would definitely fall in the “stupid” category (in a way like #11 at Jester).

Here is one:

#14 at Bos Landen (Par 5)
- a layup required tee shot (in my opinion, a par 5 should not “require” a layup off the tee. Now...if a person decided to layup off the tee, maybe to set up an angle on their 3rd into the green, fine, but requiring it is stupid)
- the 2nd shot is also a required layup. I have never seen a person even have a remote chance to reach that green in 2. Not one time. And that 2nd is no picnic
- the 3rd/approach is way below the green surface (think #11 at Veenker). Left is dead. Right is dead. Short is essentially dead (very, very long grass in front). Long leaves you chipping downhill to a green that slopes severely back to front.

Dumb, on an otherwise fun course.

#4 at Bos is very close to “dumb”, but I’m not sure it necessarily fits the category. Close though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron