Woodworkers Thread

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Dang. I would love this. But I’m pretty sure I would blow a fuse running this and my two heaters in the winter. I’m not much an electrical guy.

Yeah idk what kind of amps this or your heaters pull but I really don’t think this pulls that many. It’s a relatively small motor but works really well. My heater is 240V and on a separate breaker though.

I can say I haven’t tripped anything on whatever 15/20A breaker that feeds most of my stuff.

Reactions: JM4CY

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Thinking about getting a biscuit joiner. Any thoughts? Currently use a cheap dowel jig to make joints but it is slow and clunky. Looked into nicer dowel jigs but for the price could just get a nice biscuit joiner. The biscuit joiner seems faster to me but I have never used one.
I’ve had a biscuit jointer for 10 years and I bet I’ve used it 5 times ever. They’re occasionally useful but if I had it to do over I would have spent that money on something else.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Dang. I would love this. But I’m pretty sure I would blow a fuse running this and my two heaters in the winter. I’m not much an electrical guy.

Product image on Amazon shows 1 amp - I’m not much of an electrical guy either, but if this is the straw that breaks the camels back, you’re probably due for an upgrade anyway.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yeah idk what kind of amps this or your heaters pull but I really don’t think this pulls that many. It’s a relatively small motor but works really well. My heater is 240V and on a separate breaker though.

I can say I haven’t tripped anything on whatever 15/20A breaker that feeds most of my stuff.
you think this old girl sucks up a lot of juice?
93F26E4D-7E39-4561-AB49-D874AC013234.jpeg

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
View attachment 92004

Because I’m a dork… I found one of those on eBay, and the tag on the side says it pulls 12.5 amps at the 1500 watt setting. Do you have a single 20A breaker feeding the outlets in the garage/shop? 2 heaters, an air filter, and a table saw might be pushing your luck… time to upgrade!

Reactions: wintersmd

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
View attachment 92004
@JM4CY when he successfully plugs something else in in his garage
Screen-Shot-2014-11-18-at-9.42.11-AM.png

• Funny
  • Haha
Reactions: NWICY and wintersmd

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Just wanted to toss this out there in case anyone was interested. I found this guy on FB who mills his own lumber near Klemme, IA. Just a young guy that's a full-time woodworker. His price was so good I made a 2 hr pilgrimage to stock up. I got almost 60 BF of rough-sawn walnut for around $5/BF. He has a ton of stock and it's all kiln dried. He also had oak, hard maple, and spalted maple.

Super nice young man who let me pick through his stock for an hour and get what I wanted. I'll definitely go back.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...ghtspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

Wow. Those look like some good deals. I have a **** ton of projects in our new house and have been starting my research on sourcing wood. Best deal I found so far would be going to one friends place 2 hours away, picking up logs, hauling it 3 hours to my other friends place to mill, then taking it back home an hour away to dry before I can use it. That doesn't work with my ADD brain lol. I actually travel to Clear Lake a few times a month so that would be an easy stop...

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Anybody know of any good Black Friday deals for woodworking tools or shop equipment??
I am in the market for a good air purifier for my shop. Should have pulled the trigger in a Jet 1000 in the spring, but thought I would wait until fall when I had to keep the doors shut. Now the same air purifier is about $200 more.
What are people looking for this year??

Router and potentially a new orbital sander for me. Router is pretty high up on the list. Sander would be to replace an old ****** one I currently use. I've got a lot of sanding ahead of me so something that didn't suck to use for more than 5 minutes would be nice.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Router and potentially a new orbital sander for me. Router is pretty high up on the list. Sander would be to replace an old ****** one I currently use. I've got a lot of sanding ahead of me so something that didn't suck to use for more than 5 minutes would be nice.

Just got an email about these being on sale from Rockler. Free shipping if you sign up for their mailing list.

A5B9062C-424A-4B9A-9DB3-CD17CBFBC4C3.jpeg

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
These are officially known as milkhouse heaters. And I know we had three of them in our milkhouse growing up, so it is confirmed.
I am aware. Can't part with the old thing even if it's not nearly as effective as new technology. Sentimental value.

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
Thinking about getting a biscuit joiner. Any thoughts? Currently use a cheap dowel jig to make joints but it is slow and clunky. Looked into nicer dowel jigs but for the price could just get a nice biscuit joiner. The biscuit joiner seems faster to me but I have never used one.

I think it depends what sort of projects you're building how useful a biscuit joiner is. If you're doing much edge gluing (either combining multiple solid boards together for something like a table top, or gluing solid strips onto the edges of plywood to disguise that it's plywood) biscuits are really hand because they keep the top face even as you get clamps on. One of the keys is that they allow some side-to-side wiggle, so if you have a long joint you don't have to be dead nuts accurate like you would if you were trying to drill holes and put in 6-8 dowels.

I bought a cheap-ish Ryobi probably 8-9 years ago, which has served my purposes fine. I don't use it a ton, but there are times where it's the right tool for a job... and in those cases it makes glue-up fast and easy.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
I resent that!!! It's not THAT bad. Close, but not that bad.
I'm just teasing. I have the same problem in my garage. When we moved the subpanel in the garage came off of a subpanel in the house which seemed a little shady. When I attached my garage I made it so it didn't have a subpanel in between but still need to be careful with the loads.

Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm just teasing. I have the same problem in my garage. When we moved the subpanel in the garage came off of a subpanel in the house which seemed a little shady. When I attached my garage I made it so it didn't have a subpanel in between but still need to be careful with the loads.
I’d like to get some more outlets in my garage but the panel is on absolute opposite end of the house in the basement. So I would have for run a cord a long way through the ceiling of a finished basement. There are extra spots in my box so I have room there. Beyond that, The other issue is that I don’t know enough about electricity to know what kind of questions to ask. I have a guy I know that might help me out this winter at some point. I hate paying for stuff like an electrician when I can do part of it myself.