Woodworkers Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I feel like someone could try proving to me over and over and over again how accurate it is but I still wouldn’t believe it and use a tape instead.
I feel the exact same way. Feels like something you would see at state fair by the hot tubs in the industrial ag building.

Reactions: AgronAlum

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Anyone have tips for setting up dust collection system?

The connector pieces add up so plan it out first.

I bought some 4” “flex tube” from the Woodsmith Store that was absolutely worthless. It was so stiff it was unusable so I ended up having to go on Rockler to order some.

Beyond that, I use a shop vac connected to my system because that’s what I have room for. I think most people can get by with a decent shop vac and a separator.

Gates for each run helps a ton.

Something like this is cool for the stuff you use the most.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyJeans

CysDoc

Mar 11, 2009
The bad area of the state.
The connector pieces add up so plan it out first.

I bought some 4” “flex tube” from the Woodsmith Store that was absolutely worthless. It was so stiff it was unusable so I ended up having to go on Rockler to order some.

Beyond that, I use a shop vac connected to my system because that’s what I have room for. I think most people can get by with a decent shop vac and a separator.

Gates for each run helps a ton.

Something like this is cool for the stuff you use the most.

Thanks

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Ok fellow woodworkers. Need some advice. I have 2 chunks of spalted maple, approximately 13" x 10"x 9". Looking for someone with a big enough ban saw that can mill down to 1" thick pieces. Customer wants me to make cutting boards out of it. The wood came from a tree in her yard that blew over during the storm last year.
Any advice or help is appreciated.

Did you ever get this figured out? If you are in DSM metro, I believe there is a community woodworking shop available for things like this.

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
Starting to finish up my moms kitchen face lift. She had golden oak cabinets that were still in great shape. I distressed them with black glazing, changed out the cabinet hardware, added a new sink, back splash, and range hood. The counter top is an epoxy dirty pour using diamond dust, pearl dust, white, silver and black metallic powder. Turned out pretty nice.
1640184046865.png
1640184101573.png 1640184146851.png

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
Did you ever get this figured out? If you are in DSM metro, I believe there is a community woodworking shop available for things like this.
No, I didnt. I was going to ask Woodsmith store if they had any ideas or way to cut them down. Do you know or have a POC for this??

mfl3cy

Sep 9, 2021
Pleasant Hill
Anyone have tips for setting up dust collection system?
There are a lot of videos and sites that would be better served than me on this. But without getting into too many specifics, I used 4" PVC with 45's instead of 90's for the turns. Use blast gates as much as possible, I made mine.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Nice! How’d you join all the pieces?
A lot of glue! Ran everything through my jointer & planer for the first glue-up to get the tightest joints possible.

Took a bunch of time with featherboards (table saw) for the angled cuts to get as tight of joints as possible again. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how the joints turned out.

I felt the amount of surface area for the glue didn't require any biscuits, dowels etc.

Reactions: JM4CY