Wonder if LW gets to play in the G-league "combine?"

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The fact that we haven't heard anything about Wigginton and the Combine makes me think he wasn't invited. I would think he would get a GL combine invite though.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
So there's three open scholarships with Wheeler and Grill set to decide next week and Tucker and Johnson on campus this weekend. Let's say three out of those four commit. Doesn't that pretty much force LW's hand to stay in the draft for better or worse? Or would Prohm slow play one of the commits and wait until the May 29 deadline to save a spot for LW just in case?

• Optimistic
Reactions: jmkc12 and moores2

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
So there's three open scholarships with Wheeler and Grill set to decide next week and Tucker and Johnson on campus this weekend. Let's say three out of those four commit. Doesn't that pretty much force LW's hand to stay in the draft for better or worse? Or would Prohm slow play one of the commits and wait until the May 29 deadline to save a spot for LW just in case?

It would force someone's hand, that is part of the risk of the process and recruiting in general. Waiting on a decision allows for another player to take that spot. The staff would need to take the commitment. Honestly one of the current players may want to transfer late if THT, Wigg or Tucker did decide to come back due to their path to playing time being taken for another year.

I believe Tucker is going thorough the NBA draft process in any case. I don't expect him to commit anywhere til the end of the month. I expect ISU to have one spot open on the week of May 29th regardless for any of the 3 if they wanted to play for ISU next year.

• Agree
Reactions: Kurttr

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
The fact that we haven't heard anything about Wigginton and the Combine makes me think he wasn't invited. I would think he would get a GL combine invite though.

This list plus Dewan Hernandez, Javin DeLaurier, and TJ Shorts is almost half of the full 40 who will be invited to the GL combine. This was as of Tuesday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halincandenza

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It would force someone's hand, that is part of the risk of the process and recruiting in general. Waiting on a decision allows for another player to take that spot. The staff would need to take the commitment. Honestly one of the current players may want to transfer late if THT, Wigg or Tucker did decide to come back due to their path to playing time being taken for another year.

I believe Tucker is going thorough the NBA draft process in any case. I don't expect him to commit anywhere til the end of the month. I expect ISU to have one spot open on the week of May 29th regardless for any of the 3 if they wanted to play for ISU next year.

Ah, I forgot about about Tucker having his name in the draft. Thanks for the reminder.

I do wonder if that was part of Prohm and LW's talk - LW would be welcome back if he decided to withdraw from the draft AND if there was still an open spot for him. I can't imagine Prohm promised to hold a spot for him until the deadline.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I hope he comes back, who knows, maybe he will actually crack the starting lineup next year. I will give him a 20 % chance of coming back, 50/50 had he actually been utilized correctly this past year. There is going to be a mental block that hes going to have to work through after what he went through in 2019.
You are beyond stupid. We need people like you though, so never stop.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Ah, I forgot about about Tucker having his name in the draft. Thanks for the reminder.

I do wonder if that was part of Prohm and LW's talk - LW would be welcome back if he decided to withdraw from the draft AND if there was still an open spot for him. I can't imagine Prohm promised to hold a spot for him until the deadline.

I can't ever remember a case of someone declaring for the draft, trying to return to his school late in the process and not having a scholarship available. Has anyone else? It's a VERY tough spot for a coach because you need to move on late commits and transfers. If I were a coach, I'd be tempted to give away the schollies that I have and take the player at his word that he's not coming back. It seems plausible that this could happen from time to time.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I can't ever remember a case of someone declaring for the draft, trying to return to his school late in the process and not having a scholarship available. Has anyone else? It's a VERY tough spot for a coach because you need to move on late commits and transfers. If I were a coach, I'd be tempted to give away the schollies that I have and take the player at his word that he's not coming back. It seems plausible that this could happen from time to time.

I think it's bound to happen more frequently as more players go through the transfer and early draft entry process every year. Just too many moving parts for a coach to promise anything to a player who puts his name in the transfer portal or draft or both. Totally ties the coach's hands when it comes to filling up that potential hole in the roster.

Or maybe it's already happening and we just don't hear about it. But there's no shortage of early draft entrants who don't get their name called every year. Maybe they only stayed in because there was no open scholarship left for them at their old program.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

It almost happened last year at KU. They were trying to fill Vick's open scholarship but didn't.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

I actually think the staff would be fine with holding a scholarship open past June. Having one open for the a late high level decommit or mid year transfer when the competition would be a nice for Prohm to have in hand. Worse scenario the last scholly not being tied up a player not seeing the court anyways is banked until next year.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think it took him a while to get his mind right but when he accepted his role later in the season he became - to me anyways - a real "team" guy.

I'm of the opinion there is nothing more he can do by coming back another year but at the same time there is nothing really lost if he DOES come back and potentially only some upside.

I'd like to see him back - we could use his intensity, his experience, his athleticism and scoring. He's a good kid.

I agree with everything, except "nothing more he can do". If he can show himself to be a legit point guard (ball handling and passing), he will elevate his standing quite a bit. I agree with the poster that said that he was a willing passer this last year, but a lot of the passes were a bit too difficult. Shore that up, along with his ball handling, and I think he can get drafted.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
This list plus Dewan Hernandez, Javin DeLaurier, and TJ Shorts is almost half of the full 40 who will be invited to the GL combine. This was as of Tuesday.

Add Amir Coffey and Jarron Cumberland to this list. That's 20 of the will be 40 total participants.

*AJ Lawson of South Carolina declined an invitation

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
So....if an early entrant declaring for the draft doesn’t get invited to the Combine or to the G-League elite camp is it probably safe to say they won’t get drafted, and overseas is their only option? Or do summer leagues take on more guys just in case they might miss somebody?

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
So....if an early entrant declaring for the draft doesn’t get invited to the Combine or to the G-League elite camp is it probably safe to say they won’t get drafted, and overseas is their only option? Or do summer leagues take on more guys just in case they might miss somebody?

There are quite a few undrafted Summer League players (like Matt Thomas), but it would be incredibly unusual for an first-year undrafted player to get signed.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
There are quite a few undrafted Summer League players (like Matt Thomas), but it would be incredibly unusual for an first-year undrafted player to get signed.

Wish I understood it all. So could Matt have stayed on a G-League team somewhere or did he have to be ‘signed’? So, Naz was signed, right?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron