Women's Bracketology 2/20

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Wasn't it '09 that UT was beat by a scrappy Cardinal team that our ladies ended up beating to face MSU??

Yup, in 2009 we beat East Tennessee State in the 1st round, Ball State in the 2nd, Michigan State in the regional semi, and lost to Stanford in the regional final.

Tennessee was upset in the 1st round by Ball State. The #1 seed, Duke, was upset in the 2nd round by Michigan State in East Lansing. Stanford had beaten Ohio State (a 2/3 match-up, if I remember right) in Berkeley before we played them.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Wasn't it '09 that UT was beat by a scrappy Cardinal team that our ladies ended up beating to face MSU??

Yup, in 2009 we beat East Tennessee State in the 1st round, Ball State in the 2nd, Michigan State in the regional semi, and lost to Stanford in the regional final.

Tennessee was upset in the 1st round by Ball State. The #1 seed, Duke, was upset in the 2nd round by Michigan State in East Lansing. Stanford had beaten Ohio State (a 2/3 match-up, if I remember right) in Berkeley before we played them.

I was actually referring to 2002 when #3 seed ISU was bounced by #11 BYU in the second round. Tennessee was waiting for ISU in the Sweet 16. What a missed opportunity to face one of the all-time greatest programs in the tournament...at home!

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I really would like to see Tennessee land in Hilton and play the Cyclones before Pat retires.

Looking at Creme's projection, I have to believe UT is the highest # 2 seed.

Baylor is the overall # 1, then ND, UConn, and Stanford. The only reason I say Stanford is the 4th # 1 is the Pac-12 is just plain bad.

Baylor is coming to Des Moines, so the weakest # 2 seed (Maryland) according to Creme will be in DSM. If we are to end up in the Des Moines regional, we would not play UT. If you look at Creme's projection, you just flip College Station and Ames around and it works because Rutgers and St. Johns can meet in the Sweet 16.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
... If you look at Creme's projection, you just flip College Station and Ames around and it works because Rutgers and St. Johns can meet in the Sweet 16.

I noticed this possibility too (or a variation of it). I think it's Creme's bias to not put ISU in the DSM regional. On the other hand, it seems that the committee might look at it more favorably. As much as the good seeds might complain about a home court advantage, the committee can argue that DSM is not ISU's home court, and in the end, most teams want to play in front of big crowds.