WJ has contacted Kentucky...

kuney1

Mar 20, 2006
Well, if he can't accept in your face type of coaching, he's making a bad decision going to Kentucky. Billy G. is a maniac. He nearly had a player revolt of his own, his first year at A&M, if I remember correctly.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I say Iowa State comes up looking pretty good in this, especially if there is "monkey business" involved.

For every scummy thug-like wanna-be NBA prima donna, there is a good kid, whose parents are looking at us, and realizing there is a place where their kid can go and have a chance of becoming a man.

I think many who are fearful of the consequences of being "hard" would be surprised at how many people will actually respect ISU for doing the right thing, here.

CyRocket

Jan 31, 2007
At least for me it's pretty clear that during that 16 day period someone in WJ's family, who was working with an unknown school (aka UK) convinced him that he could make a fortune (also lots of money for the family). I see no reason to make things easy for the unknown school to talk to WJ. They will talk but hopefully they will get caught.
If the NCAA wants to curtail this kind of activity they first have to show that they will go after the big name schools (fat chance). Then they tell them that if they suspect anything, that they will look hard at everything that the entire athletic program does. The other coachs will probably not take well to that.

KYISSUPREME

May 21, 2008
Folks...yes, schools CAN NOT contact Wes until ISU has released him from his scholarship. HOWEVER, Wes CAN contact them on his own. That is perfectly legal. It happens all the time. Kentucky or Alabama, etc calls his AAU Coach, AAU Coach texts Wes to call so and so between 8-9pm at this number, Wes calls. All very legal. Unfortunate and crooked, but legal.

If it's legal, how's it crooked? C'mon guys, after all the hot water UK has been in with the NCAA, do you really think we would chance anything on Johnson? He's a decent player and all, but come on. He's not exactly Kobe Bryant. If he winds up at UK, rest assured it will all be legal. You may not like it, but it will be legal. Again, I seriously doubt you ever see him at UK. We are loaded at his position for years to come.

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
If it's legal, how's it crooked? C'mon guys, after all the hot water UK has been in with the NCAA, do you really think we would chance anything on Johnson? He's a decent player and all, but come on. He's not exactly Kobe Bryant. If he winds up at UK, rest assured it will all be legal. You may not like it, but it will be legal. Again, I seriuosly doubt you ever see him at UK. We are loaded at his position for years to come.

The poster you quoted was not correct. It is not legal for Kentucky to contact Wes or for Wes to contact Kentucky.

The ironic thing is a Kentucky site reported the two parties were in contact yesterday. A few hours of reporting it, a retraction was issues - stating a "mistake" was made.

Sure....

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If it's legal, how's it crooked? C'mon guys, after all the hot water UK has been in with the NCAA, do you really think we would chance anything on Johnson? He's a decent player and all, but come on. He's not exactly Kobe Bryant. If he winds up at UK, rest assured it will all be legal. You may not like it, but it will be legal. Again, I seriously doubt you ever see him at UK. We are loaded at his position for years to come.

Crooked:
  1. Marked by dishonesty, especially in matters of public trust: corrupt, dishonest, venal. See honest/dishonest.
  2. Ruthlessly seeking personal advantage: corrupt, mercenary, praetorian, venal. See self/other.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
...C'mon guys, after all the hot water UK has been in with the NCAA, do you really think we would chance anything on Johnson? ...

Like it or not there is precedent, so yes I think it is highly likely.

cgwarrior33

Mar 27, 2006
Norwalk, Iowa
We are loaded at his position for years to come.

How are we loaded at his position for years to come? We currently have no commit to play the 3. Clinton Mann is the only incoming freshman that can roll over and play the 3. Lucca will do it, but he is more of a natural 2. The Marquette kid can probably play the 3, but he isn't eligible to play this year. We have no one to play the 3 at their natural position. You are sadly mistaken.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
How are we loaded at his position for years to come? We currently have no commit to play the 3. Clinton Mann is the only incoming freshman that can roll over and play the 3. Lucca will do it, but he is more of a natural 2. The Marquette kid can probably play the 3, but he isn't eligible to play this year. We have no one to play the 3 at their natural position. You are sadly mistaken.

This guy is a Kentucky fan, not ISU.

KYISSUPREME

May 21, 2008
You guys kill me.:biglaugh: Johnson leaves, you don't like how he left. That's understandable. But to say UK tampered to get him? Puuhlease. You guys just need to let go.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

KY IS SUPREME is a Kentucky fan... and I KINDA agree that with UK's history they have to be VERY carefull...

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
...C'mon guys, after all the hot water UK has been in with the NCAA, do you really think we would chance anything on Johnson? ...

By the way, how did that type of logic work out for Indiana and Kelvin Sampson.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Well if you listen to GM, it doesn't take an active imagination to infer that the coaching staff suspects that there has been some funny business taking place.

Listening to Greg McDermott and listening to an anonymous poster on a Kentucky message board are not the same thing. One of them has a little more credibility than the other.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Listening to Greg McDermott and listening to an anonymous poster on a Kentucky message board are not the same thing. One of them has a little more credibility than the other.

I have no idea what your point is. I made no judgment as to the credibility of the message board poster. I just noted that it corroborates the inference from GM that some funny business may have taken place.

I don't follow UK message boards, but I don't think the poster involved is as anonymous as you suggest. He did feel it necessary to print a retraction.

mrfreddyx

May 20, 2008
The poster you quoted was not correct. It is not legal for Kentucky to contact Wes or for Wes to contact Kentucky.

The ironic thing is a Kentucky site reported the two parties were in contact yesterday. A few hours of reporting it, a retraction was issues - stating a "mistake" was made.

Sure....

There has never been ANY credible source that has stated Wesley Johnson has been contacted by UK. Everyone on this board is listening to what they hear on another message board and all of this is speculative. The only people with any knowledge of the subject (McDermott, Gillispie, Johnson) have all either not mentioned contact or have flatly denied it.

People here are jumping to (slanderous) conclusions and it really should stop immediately.

Last edited:

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
There has never been ANY credible source that has stated Wesley Johnson has been contacted by UK. Everyone on this board is listening to what they here on another message board and all of this is speculative. The only people with any knowledge of the subject (McDermott, Gillispie, Johnson) have all either not mentioned contact or have flatly denied it.

People here are jumping to (slanderous) conclusions and it really should stop immediately.
Well, since you said it that way, of course.:skeptical: