Williams & Blum Wednesday: Inside the portal, hoops vs. DePaul

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
Enjoyed the podcast. One gripe, we talk a bunch about how young the team is and how much better the youngsters will get. I'm not sure we afford the same grace to Jace Gilbert. Guy was out there as a true freshman shouldering the load, and yeah he missed some kicks, also made some. I get it that Blum paying a transfer kicker is a bit of a running joke, but I'm hoping for a Jace Gilbert redemption tour next year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The player would receive 300k and still graduate college, just not from ISU.

It's not about changing his current lifestyle. It's about having an extra 200k in the bank for the future.

It's a semantic argument. I was just stating that CW dismissing 300k because you'll make that through work after college is presumptuous.

Obviously this can vary considerably but this says the average BA holder makes...

https://poetsandquants.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2021/05/Paybyeducation.png

$2.25 MM during their working lifetime

$300k is 13.3% of that.

I love Iowa State and the Cyclones and came from a stable though not affluent middle-class family (neither of my parents and 0/4 of my grandparents went to college). That's better than a lot of athletes.

That's not easy to turn down. Would have been hard for me to do so at age 20.

Especially when money made earlier in life has more "leverage" towards things like compounded retirement savings and having enough to make a down payment on a dream home.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Enjoyed the podcast. One gripe, we talk a bunch about how young the team is and how much better the youngsters will get. I'm not sure we afford the same grace to Jace Gilbert. Guy was out there as a true freshman shouldering the load, and yeah he missed some kicks, also made some. I get it that Blum paying a transfer kicker is a bit of a running joke, but I'm hoping for a Jace Gilbert redemption tour next year.

We might be the only 2 that recognize that Gilbert may be more than just a viable option next year. As a 3rd year guy, he could be waaay better than he was as a true freshman.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

I'd love nothing more than to see Jace do that.

I also know the history of Iowa State and kicking.

Iowa State needs another option to fill the shoes of Contrerez, mainly to have multiple warm bodies on board.

Reactions: nrg4isu

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron