Will merely beating Iowa change the narrative or will their record matter?

lets-talk

Jun 13, 2018
Where are these reports saying this isn't supposed to be a good Iowa team?
I don't follow much Iowa reporting, but everything I've seen says they'll complete for the West.
You are right in that there are a couple heads who think Iowa will compete well also but majority think otherwise. On their boards there are links and references to (1) BTN folks casting doubts on personnel across the board (2) Multiple talking heads/experts picking them from middle of their division to near bottom (3) Iowa posters/fans themselves are less ebullient than usual. You'll have to wade through their boards to find all this.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I think this is seriously jumping the gun. The Hawks won't finish near the bottom.

Regardless I will never root for them other than the games before the Cy-Hawk game. I want them undefeated going into the matchup.

Even if they finish near the bottom Iowa State will have enough quality wins that our fanbase won't need to root for them.
Quality wins?????? Kansas? Baylor? WVU?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There will be some hawk fans who try to minimize what ISU does not matter how impressive it is. ISU could run the table against the toughest schedule ever and there would still be iowa fans saying, "Yeah, but look at all of those one loss teams. You didn't play a single team that finished the season undefeated!"

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
It will do two things. Give ISU bragging rights for a year, and more importantly it will shut Hawkeye fans up for an entire year. The silence truly is the best part.

Interesting take considering Iowa has won the past 4 and ISU havent shut up after winning 8 games in back to back seasons.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You are right in that there are a couple heads who think Iowa will compete well also but majority think otherwise. On their boards there are links and references to (1) BTN folks casting doubts on personnel across the board (2) Multiple talking heads/experts picking them from middle of their division to near bottom (3) Iowa posters/fans themselves are less ebullient than usual. You'll have to wade through their boards to find all this.
giphy.gif

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think you have only 4 chances at quality wins this year. Iowa, Texas, Oklahoma, (possibly)TCU. Win 2 of those 4 and you are set for your historic season.
Oklahoma State and Baylor could also be real tough this year. Great offensive minds with some pretty good players.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think you have only 4 chances at quality wins this year. Iowa, Texas, Oklahoma, (possibly)TCU. Win 2 of those 4 and you are set for your historic season.
I'd bet that Baylor and OSU are seen as "quality" wins. I don't think 2 wins against quality teams means ISU has a historic season, it would more be dependent on the overall schedule/record, final standings, and bowl selection.

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
There will be some hawk fans who try to minimize what ISU does not matter how impressive it is. ISU could run the table against the toughest schedule ever and there would still be iowa fans saying, "Yeah, but look at all of those one loss teams. You didn't play a single team that finished the season undefeated!"

You think this is exclusive to Iowa fans? There was an ISU dolt on twitter recently arguing that Iowa State’s 8-5 Liberty Bowl season was more impressive than Iowa’s 12-2 Rose Bowl season.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Smells like a double digit win season then. They always do better when expectations are low.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I dont think anybody is saying ISU sucks.

But yes, the Iowa football program is better.
Not better overall, better this year. You're on a rival's messaging board arguing with fans because you can't fathom thinking Iowa State could be better.

• Funny
Reactions: BLHawk

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I'd bet that Baylor and OSU are seen as "quality" wins. I don't think 2 wins against quality teams means ISU has a historic season, it would more be dependent on the overall schedule/record, final standings, and bowl selection.
Just looked at Baylors schedule and it is pillow soft other than ISU until November. They might go into November with only 1 loss but will free fall after that.

• Funny
  • Dumb
Reactions: Rural and inCyteful

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
Not better overall, better this year. You're on a rival's messaging board arguing with fans because you can't fathom thinking Iowa State could be better.

Its really cute you think ISU has an equal or better football program compared to Iowa.