Will ISU take the ball to start the game?

dfwcy

Oct 20, 2008
If they win the toss will they defer or keep it since Iowa likes to start out wihth the ball?

Im guessing defer.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I think CPR will elect to defer. If we can keep Iowa to a short first drive, we will have the ball with a shorter field which is what our offense needs.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Defer. I think our defense will be our biggest weapon tomorrow, and needs to make a statement right away. Plus possession right after half will only benefit us in what I'm hoping is a competitive game.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I say take the ball. Iowa scores on that first possession a lot. I'd love to have a shot at scoring first.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I say take the ball. Iowa scores on that first possession a lot. I'd love to have a shot at scoring first.

True. Last year Iowa scored first and just kept their foot on the gas:arghh:

But I still think we're dealing with a different beast this year.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If they win the toss will they defer or keep it since Iowa likes to start out wihth the ball?

Im guessing defer.

It's really a toss-up. :smile:

Seriously, I'm mixed about it. Either way, ISU cannot go 3-and-out on its first possession. It's equally deflating if that happens, but probably even worse if Iowa gets the ball first and scores a TD.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think they will defer, but I kind of wish they would take the ball. UNI got the ball first and ended up with a field goal. If we could ahve gottent he ball and gotten a lead first, it might have been a different ball game.

Iowa usually wants the ball first too, so I am heisitant to give them what they want.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Another reason to take the ball... IMO, we have a better shot at getting Iowa's offense to go 3-and-out at the start of the 2nd half than at the start of the game. We have a better shot at good field position then.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Depends on what the wind is like...

Always have to take this into account but I'm on record saying they should take the ball. I just think it would energize the stadium to take the ball and score first and might make Iowa uncomfortable.

If Iowa gets the ball first and scores, I think you'll see a lot of "here we go again" faces in the crowd.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Defer.

Just after the entrance...the energy in the stadium is at it's highest point. Put the defense on the field and turn 'em loose. See if you can get a turnover where the offense needs 40 yards to the endzone or a punt where they only need 60 to get into the endzone.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
I think they will defer, but I kind of wish they would take the ball. UNI got the ball first and ended up with a field goal. If we could ahve gottent he ball and gotten a lead first, it might have been a different ball game.

Iowa usually wants the ball first too, so I am heisitant to give them what they want.

But if ISU takes the ball and Steele throws a pick 6....then what happens?

Like another poster mentioned...it's just a toss-up. **** can go bad or good when take the ball first.

clone99

Sep 14, 2007
Iowa
Defer, if things stay close in the first half, would be nice to have the ball first in the second half to keep momentum. If we are down by a bunch at half, it probably won't matter if we defer or not. nothing more demorilizing than to play the first half close, and then have the opposing team get the ball in the second half first and proceed to march down the field to score.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
But if ISU takes the ball and Steele throws a pick 6....then what happens?

Like another poster mentioned...it's just a toss-up. **** can go bad or good when take the ball first.

Yeah, it's a mixed bag. I think the initial drive by UNI kind of deflated the crowd. But I can understand not wanting to thow Steele into it since he showed some jitters throughout the first half.

Ideally, if we do defer, we can get Coker to cough it up and take it in for 6.