Will Cyclone Free Throw Shooting Give Us a Heart Attack?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Basking in the glory of the game, I couldn't help think what a beat down it would have been on KU had we hit a few more free throws as they wouldn't have been in the game. Love the win, but dang that extra drama is heartstopping with each additional miss! Don't worry, I still love this team.

The thought did make me do some research. Fred was 466 or 552 free throws for 84.4% at ISU, and 653 of 765 in his NBA career for 85.4%. That's only 90 misses in college and 112 in a long NBA career. So far this season, our Clones are 248 or 359 for 111 misses. That is more than Fred had in his storied ISU career and only 1 less than he had in his entire NBA career shooting twice as many as this team has so far this season. Technique, conditioning and mental are all aspects of this, but it has to be driving Fred crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
Re: Will Cyclone Free Throw Shooting Give Fred a Heart Attack?

every player needs to shoot 1000 twice a day until they get to 80%

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

They had it in the graphics last night.

First 8 games over 80%, last 7 59%.

Need to settle somewhere at least in the middle.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

People gave me **** last week for suggesting we need to be at 80%. I stand behind my comments and I still believe that this morning. Good FTs win games because we get to your line so often.

Tibs

Dec 1, 2014
My biggest pet peeve in basketball is watching teams miss free throws. It seems like every time I get the chance to watch the team shoots in the 50% region on free throws. Maybe I should just not watch the games

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Thread title. Do not like it.

This. I am at an age where I can joke about me having a heart attack but still never joke about someone else having one. Jeez, I was sitting next to guy last night who has had one.

With that said, I think the freebie shooting might give me an ulcer! :smile:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

People gave me **** last week for suggesting we need to be at 80%. I stand behind my comments and I still believe that this morning. Good FTs win games because we get to your line so often.

I'll give you **** right now for saying "we need to be at 80%." No team in the country shoots 80% from the line. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/team/_/stat/free-throws/sort/freeThrowPct

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Obviously every point from start to finish are important, but if you can shoot consistantly from FT line, can really ice games the end when it becomes the foul/stop the clock time for a team that's trailing.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

probably a significant contribution due to McKay

Team effort in bricking in conference play.

With McKay last 4 games = 60%
Without McKay last four games = 64%

For the season ISU = 69%
Opponents season (for comparison) = 75%

Big 12 team median in league play is 69%.

Draw your own conclusions.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would have thought that if a Fred Holberg coached team was going to be good at one single thing, it would be free throws.

WTF Fred?!

It is odd though. And McKay's usually look really good or just bad.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I almost think they need to offer free pizza or hot dogs or something to get a bunch of students in Hilton behind the baskets, then have the team shoot free throws while the crowd goes nuts. Shooting free throws in a quiet, empty gym is pretty easy. I do it all the time where I work out. Pressure of the game, fans, makes that situation a little different.

I know it's not game situation, but I wonder if just having some noise in the building from a few fans would help them work on "Game shooting"

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It'll come back up. We were shooting FTs amazingly well to start the season. I don't think it's just McKay but another thing is Edozie actually had some games where he was shooting FTs well and he got to the line a lot.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

UCONN seemed to never miss a free throw on their way to the title.

mitya51

Oct 9, 2012
Basking in the glory of the game, I couldn't help think what a beat down it would have been on KU had we hit a few more free throws as they wouldn't have been in the game. Love the win, but dang that extra drama is heartstopping with each additional miss! Don't worry, I still love this team.

The thought did make me do some research. Fred was 466 or 552 free throws for 84.4% at ISU, and 653 of 765 in his NBA career for 85.4%. That's only 90 misses in college and 112 in a long NBA career. So far this season, our Clones are 248 or 359 for 111 misses. That is more than Fred had in his storied ISU career and only 1 less than he had in his entire NBA career shooting twice as many as this team has so far this season. Technique, conditioning and mental are all aspects of this, but it has to be driving Fred crazy.

I wonder if there could be a relationship between the pace of game and FT %. Just a random thought to throw out. p.s. I am amused by the fact that you feel the need to assure us that you still love this team. Probably because of the antagonistic tone set by some of the crazy paranoid fans around here.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron