Will any JUCOs be here in January??

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I'm wondering specifically about Carlson and Christian Graham...but which of them are transfering here for second semester?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I would expect Carlson to come early. He may be our new punt and kickoff returner.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I would expect Carlson to come early. He may be our new punt and kickoff returner.

The DMR article said he would be in Ames for summer workouts so it doesn't look like he will have an early start. Chizik must see some real talent as he is trying to move away from summer Juco transfers.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Do JUCOs sign letters of intent or is that only for high schoolers? Obviously, since some come in mid year they are not waiting till the February signing day. With Carlson or Graham, I guess I don't understand why they wouldn't be enrolled already for the second semester if they are definitely coming.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Mid year juco transfers do have an early signing period, sometime in November or December. Not exactly sure when.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think it's December 19th.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
So far i dont think any of next years jucos will be here for spring ball. they usually make a point to emphasize the point that they will graduate early.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
On Campus in January

Do JUCOs sign letters of intent or is that only for high schoolers? Obviously, since some come in mid year they are not waiting till the February signing day. With Carlson or Graham, I guess I don't understand why they wouldn't be enrolled already for the second semester if they are definitely coming.

Not sure the exact rules, but I think if a kid enrolls for the spring semester a couple things must have happened:

1) The player was D1 eligible out of HS, but just decided to go the JUCO route to improve the level of schools that show interest. or
2) they earned so many credit hours at the JUCO or have received their associates degree.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Thanks 86, that explains it. I was curious why ALL JUCOs didn't come for spring ball but I didn't know there were academic requirements. I had just assumed that if you had a certain grade point, regardless of how many credits, you could enroll.

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
Thanks 86, that explains it. I was curious why ALL JUCOs didn't come for spring ball but I didn't know there were academic requirements. I had just assumed that if you had a certain grade point, regardless of how many credits, you could enroll.

I think schools are limited to three early enrollees if I remember correctly.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I just got an e-mail from Robert LeGeisse, the Ames Trib guy who wrote the great article about Graham. He told me that the plan was for Christian to enroll in January, assuming he passes all of his finals. This is GREAT news!

He also said that the Trib would run an article in January about whatever January enrollees there are...

Last edited:

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
If they don't qualify out of high school, they have to complete an associate's before they are admitted. If they were a qualifier, like Alvarez last year, they can transfer any time.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
If they don't qualify out of high school, they have to complete an associate's before they are admitted. If they were a qualifier, like Alvarez last year, they can transfer any time.

Even most non-qualifiers can get an associate's degree at midyear if they take some summer school classes.