Wigginton declaring for NBA Draft, not hiring agent

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I am guessing he will be invited.

Lindell is currently ranked 72 on ESPN's draft rankings. So it could go either way.
I suppose it is also possible that some of the top players decline the invite and he could be a replacement.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Lindell is currently ranked 72 on ESPN's draft rankings. So it could go either way.
I suppose it is also possible that some of the top players decline the invite and he could be a replacement.

I haven't looked at ESPN's top 72 so I am just guessing on this but that list probably includes foreign players that won't be there.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/04/24/n...nkings-front-office-deandre-ayton-luka-doncic

81. Lindell Wigginton, G, Iowa State | Freshman

Height: 6'2" | Weight: 185 | Age: 20 | Last: N/A
Stats: 16.7 PPG, 2.8 APG, 40.1% 3FG

With impressive burst and leaping ability and a nose for scoring the ball, Wigginton had a strong freshman year all-around and is testing the waters. He’s old for his class, and is more of a shoot-first player than a true point, totaling more turnovers than assists this season while mostly sharing time with a pass-first guard in Nick Weiler-Babb. Wigginton can score off the dribble and create his own shot, but sometimes plays with a little too much confidence, which can lead to poor shot selection and careless mistakes. He’s probably best served going back to school and attempting to separate himself as one of the better guards in next year’s draft.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/04/24/n...nkings-front-office-deandre-ayton-luka-doncic

81. Lindell Wigginton, G, Iowa State | Freshman

Height: 6'2" | Weight: 185 | Age: 20 | Last: N/A
Stats: 16.7 PPG, 2.8 APG, 40.1% 3FG

With impressive burst and leaping ability and a nose for scoring the ball, Wigginton had a strong freshman year all-around and is testing the waters. He’s old for his class, and is more of a shoot-first player than a true point, totaling more turnovers than assists this season while mostly sharing time with a pass-first guard in Nick Weiler-Babb. Wigginton can score off the dribble and create his own shot, but sometimes plays with a little too much confidence, which can lead to poor shot selection and careless mistakes. He’s probably best served going back to school and attempting to separate himself as one of the better guards in next year’s draft.
pretty damn spot on.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
The one thing working against him and Isu really for him returning is he’s 20.. he’s old for a Frosh. He will be 21 next years draft.

Maybe 1 year at that point isn’t a big deal Idk.

One thing is for sure and that is he won’t be a 1st rd pick this year... I think it’s naive to think he can’t evrr be a 1st rd pick.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The one thing working against him and Isu really for him returning is he’s 20.. he’s old for a Frosh. He will be 21 next years draft.

Maybe 1 year at that point isn’t a big deal Idk.

One thing is for sure and that is he won’t be a 1st rd pick this year... I think it’s naive to think he can’t evrr be a 1st rd pick.
For the most part, what LW has this year, basically a shot at a roster will be there for the next three years. Come back, and that opportunity is there at worst, with potential to get guaranteed $. If he's dead set on the NBA (vs playing overseas) then coming back is the play hands down. Quality of life and ability to develop his game is probably better at a P5 school than as a G leaguer, plus he retains the possibility of really cashing in. Take out an insurance policy, come back to school, prove you are a legit PG and cash in.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
For the most part, what LW has this year, basically a shot at a roster will be there for the next three years. Come back, and that opportunity is there at worst, with potential to get guaranteed $. If he's dead set on the NBA (vs playing overseas) then coming back is the play hands down. Quality of life and ability to develop his game is probably better at a P5 school than as a G leaguer, plus he retains the possibility of really cashing in. Take out an insurance policy, come back to school, prove you are a legit PG and cash in.
To add to this, he has straight up said that he does not want to go to the G League. So if he were told that was the potential play this year for him to get drafted, there's no doubt in my mind he will be back here next year.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Honest question - Don't most players who entered themselves "fill out paper work just in case"? I mean if CW tweeted that I would still be slightly nervous, but Hines loves to take a pessimistic jab at the fan base once and while so to me this basically means LW is coming back.

How is stating facts automatically a "pessimistic jab?" Should he not have said what actually happened? I actually would have liked to know how many others the NBA asked to fill out similar paperwork and if there is a ranking of who fills an open spot first.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie and CTTB78

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I actually would have liked to know how many others the NBA asked to fill out similar paperwork and if there is a ranking of who fills an open spot first.

That was effectively what I was asking in my post; is he saying that Wigginton is an official alternate? If so then usually there has been about 5-10 alternate spots the last couple years.

Last edited:

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I was about 90-10 on Lindell being back at ISU next year but after reading this, I’m 50-50. Sounds like a lot of teams are interested in him which is great for him, but selfishly I want him back at ISU so we can return to the tournament. Don’t think we do if he leaves.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron