Wigginton declaring for NBA Draft, not hiring agent

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It’s great experience and exposure for him. The only thing I worry about is every year 60+ are told they have a first round grade, and obviously only 30 are taken in the first.

Add to that that being a late first round pick doesn't really guarantee a player all that much beyond the first contract. Guys who get picked outside the lottery can struggle to even break a rotation their first year or two and in some cases even end up splitting time between the big club and the G League. Take a look at picks 17-30 from lat year. A handful of those guys are playing and thriving, but a lot of them are nailed to the bench or plying their trade with the G League affiliate.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Add to that that being a late first round pick doesn't really guarantee a player all that much beyond the first contract. Guys who get picked outside the lottery can struggle to even break a rotation their first year or two and in some cases even end up splitting time between the big club and the G League. Take a look at picks 17-30 from lat year. A handful of those guys are playing and thriving, but a lot of them are nailed to the bench or plying their trade with the G League affiliate.

The 30th overall pick is guaranteed...

$2,541,400

...of salary in their first two years. The third year is not guaranteed.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

Even if half of that goes to taxes and your agent, that is some dang nice cash, even if you do not stick in the NBA and end up retired or in Europe.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

$2,541,400

Even if half of that goes to taxes and your agent, that is some dang nice cash, even if you do not stick in the NBA and end up retired or in Europe.

It is a nice payout. No disagreement there. But my point was that just getting a late first round grade or eval might not be enough to compel a player to come out, especially if there's a chance they could improve enough to leap into the lottery pick conversation the following year with a good season. The higher the pick the more leeway a guy is going to get from the team that drafted him.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It is a nice payout. No disagreement there. But my point was that just getting a late first round grade or eval might not be enough to compel a player to come out, especially if there's a chance they could improve enough to leap into the lottery pick conversation the following year with a good season. The higher the pick the more leeway a guy is going to get from the team that drafted him.

I think the biggest impediment to coming out with a late First grade is that you might slip into the early Second. The quality-of-life and salary difference between 30th and 31st are night and day. Unless you are a sure First, stay in school.

Sweating it out between First and Second should be for seniors who were always limited in some way and are now hoping for the best. I hate to bring up Georges and Monté as falling into that category, but that was where they were.

Staying in school and trying to get a sure First is always the better bet, even if you lose a year of potential earnings and/or are older by another year, which docks you in the eyes of the NBA drafting guys on potential and not college output.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think the biggest impediment to coming out with a late First grade is that you might slip into the early Second. The quality-of-life and salary difference between 30th and 31st are night and day. Unless you are a sure First, stay in school.

Sweating it out between First and Second should be for seniors who were always limited in some way and are now hoping for the best. I hate to bring up Georges and Monté as falling into that category, but that was where they were.

Staying in school and trying to get a sure First is always the better bet, even if you lose a year of potential earnings and/or are older by another year, which docks you in the eyes of the NBA drafting guys on potential and not college output.

Good point. Even the late first round projected guys are sitting there hoping that the next team up doesn't take a flyer on some kid on another continent who might never even make it to the States.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Good point. Even the late first round projected guys are sitting there hoping that the next team up doesn't take a flyer on some kid on another continent who might never even make it to the States.

Right. If I am Wigginton, unless I get a sure First grade or am told I will go in the 10-20 range, then I come back. The risk of slipping with a 20-30 grade is too high for a host of reasons. Stay another year, play yourself into the Lottery, and then go kill it.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Right. If I am Wigginton, unless I get a sure First grade or am told I will go in the 10-20 range, then I come back. The risk of slipping with a 20-30 grade is too high for a host of reasons. Stay another year, play yourself into the Lottery, and then go kill it.

That's a big part of it. Another part - and it was discussed above - is looking at how strong the position group is this year versus next year. If the guard class is deep this year that's all the more reason to come back for another year.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
That's a big part of it. Another part - and it was discussed above - is looking at how strong the position group is this year versus next year. If the guard class is deep this year that's all the more reason to come back for another year.

It's deep this year and not projected to be a deep draft overall next year. That reason and Lindell's age make me lean towards him being gone after next year as opposed to staying around 3 years.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It's deep this year and not projected to be a deep draft overall next year. That reason and Lindell's age make me lean towards him being gone after next year as opposed to staying around 3 years.

Agreed. I think he's gone after his sophomore year.

Which sucks in many ways but is great in others.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Yeah that's the landscape of college hoops now. We need to use that to market to other recruits, that you can get to the NBA early through ISU/Prohm and spin that to our advantage.

With how quickly kids leave (NBA, transfer, etc), you basically have to re-load every year with 2-3 good recruits.

Unfortunately we had 2 classes back to back, where that didn't happen, or at least with enough talent to keep up with the rest of our competition.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Wigginton's best chance of sticking in the NBA is to improve his PG abilities

Yeah that's the landscape of college hoops now. We need to use that to market to other recruits, that you can get to the NBA early through ISU/Prohm and spin that to our advantage.

With how quickly kids leave (NBA, transfer, etc), you basically have to re-load every year with 2-3 good recruits.

Unfortunately we had 2 classes back to back, where that didn't happen, or at least with enough talent to keep up with the rest of our competition.

True, but the last class and the incoming class (now that Prohm has had a chance to establish himself in Ames and no longer has a ready-made roster sitting there for him, so he had to recruit) looks like the sort you need annually to compete at this level.

Prohm keeps turning in classes like these, with headliners like Wigginton and Horton-Tucker, diamonds like Lard, and lunch pail guys like Young and others, then I have absolutely no worries about the future trajectory of the program as of right now.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

It would be a great thing, but before we start assuming anything there is a lot that still has to play out over next year.
Lindell is driven to get to the league and will get there but needs to be patient and leave when the time is right. IMO that means projected top 20 pick (or promise from a team). He has the potential to do that next year but still has to put it together and show he can man the point. Even then depending on the guard class it may be better to stay a 3rd year. Part of the reason I think we see LW take over PG duties is in order to get him there he will need to show those skills for a year and Prohm will give him the chance.

As long as Lindell returns this year ISU should be set up well. Prohm will be able to use the open scholarship to get the next potential pro starter to add to his resume either by sit out transfer this spring or in next years recruiting class. Adding Wigginton 1st round potential to his Pro-PG resume will help ISU a lot to sell the top available guards.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

Problem is, at least half of the first round will always be one n dones and foreigners. You've got to be the best of the best in the experienced college player category.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Problem is, at least half of the first round will always be one n dones and foreigners. You've got to be the best of the best in the experienced college player category.

Nobody ever said this was easy. The NBA does not owe him anything.

The level of athleticism, skill, size, and talent at that point and in that league is absolutely bonkers compared to even the best college conferences.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

$2,541,400

Big is relative. One extra year of college can turn big to HUGE.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Nobody ever said this was easy. The NBA does not owe him anything.

The level of athleticism, skill, size, and talent at that point and in that league is absolutely bonkers compared to even the best college conferences.
Agree. I wasn't talking specifically about Wigginton.

Honestly, regarding Wigginton specifically, he's not first round this year, and unless he is all-american level next year, he's not first round then either. Then, imo, he's likely to never be a first rounder. Like we said though, nothing wrong with that. It's incredibly impressive to be top 30 in a given year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Agree. I wasn't talking specifically about Wigginton.

Honestly, regarding Wigginton specifically, he's not first round this year, and unless he is all-american level next year, he's not first round then either. Then, imo, he's likely to never be a first rounder. Like we said though, nothing wrong with that. It's incredibly impressive to be top 30 in a given year.

I am preparing myself to look on the bright side either way.

If he stays 3-4 years, then we get 2-3 more years of play from a combo who will likely be First-Team AC and contend for CPOTY and an AA team as a junior and senior.

I would take Buddy Hield like that.

If he goes early, then on to the next man, and Prohm can pitch on the next generation that he has sent four guards into the NBA now. Something good either way.

• Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
If he goes early, then on to the next man, and Prohm can pitch on the next generation that he has sent four guards into the NBA now. Something good either way.
Except worst case, he does decide to go this year, then not get drafted at all. It wouldn't be Prohm's fault, but still not a great look for recruits, and their family.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
It's just one mock, but I see SI doesn't have Wiggy in their top 60 in their post championship mock draft.

• Useful
Reactions: huntt26