why is there so much talk of northwestern on the bubble?

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
NW (43) is actually ahead of K-State (45) in the RPI, and they have no bad losses, but they are only 2-9 vs. the Top 50. I think if they somehow beat OSU, they are in. If they lose to both OSU and Iowa, they're done.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
NW (43) is actually ahead of K-State (45) in the RPI, and they have no bad losses, but they are only 2-9 vs. the Top 50. I think if they somehow beat OSU, they are in. If they lose to both OSU and Iowa, they're done.

Let's resume this after that happens.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv

if that happens then iowa is a lock:twitcy:

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Mike Greenberg from Mike and Mike in the morning touched on this subject this week about NW and the Big ten in general: He stated that he went to NW and mentioned that A LOT of alumni from NW/Big 10 works for either ESPN or Fox/Rivals/Yahoo. Mentioned that there is some BIG bias since these organizations are so connected with the Big 10. Thus, NW is getting some "big steam" regardless if they deserve to make it or not. Obviously, he would love for his alma mater to make it into the dance, but he feels that they will just blow it "typical NW style."

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I would certainly take the 6 top 100 wins they have over our 4.... but they have also lost 3 more games than us.

While I dont think they are for sure in... They certianly arent as far away as many want ot think.

In fact, Id love to play them.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Plain and simple it's because Northwestern has never been, their record and numbers are good enough to place them squarely on the bubble, and the bubble this year is incredibly soft.

As far as the Big 10 once again taking a beating by insecure ISU fans, who really gives a rip? ISU is in the dance and playing for position. The Big 10 could get 10 teams into the tournament this year and I couldn't care less because it isn't hurting ISU any - the Big 10 getting more teams in the tournament than they deserve isn't going to keep ISU out anymore so who cares? In fact, the Big 10 being in the spotlight the way they are can actually serve to help ISU because it keeps us under the radar, which only plays to our favor (see Frank Martin's comments on the game yesterday).

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I would certainly take the 6 top 100 wins they have over our 4.... but they have also lost 3 more games than us.

While I dont think they are for sure in... They certianly arent as far away as many want ot think.

In fact, Id love to play them.

They have two top 40 wins both at home and ISU has 3 including one on the road. It's pretty easy to carve up the numbers.

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006
This is absolutely what I think is happening with NW. The media has picked up on how they've never gone dancing, and I think they're trying to force NW in there for the sake of a good story.

This is it. End of discussion.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
If Texas is on the Bubble then NW is certainly deserving... I guess by now, maybe Texas has burst its own bubble.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Plain and simple it's because Northwestern has never been, their record and numbers are good enough to place them squarely on the bubble, and the bubble this year is incredibly soft.

As far as the Big 10 once again taking a beating by insecure ISU fans, who really gives a rip? ISU is in the dance and playing for position. The Big 10 could get 10 teams into the tournament this year and I couldn't care less because it isn't hurting ISU any - the Big 10 getting more teams in the tournament than they deserve isn't going to keep ISU out anymore so who cares? In fact, the Big 10 being in the spotlight the way they are can actually serve to help ISU because it keeps us under the radar, which only plays to our favor (see Frank Martin's comments on the game yesterday).

To expand on my thoughts from earlier, the general thoughts and attitudes of people on this board:

The Big 10 is overrated and doesn't deserve the 7-9 bids for which they're being considered

The Pac 12 is bad and is lucky to get 3 bids

The SEC doesn't deserve any more than 3 bids

Everyone cringes at giving either the Big East or ACC 8 or more bids.

Everyone is of the opinion that conferences like the Colonial, Missouri Valley, and West Coast are lucky to get the two they're probably going to get and don't deserve consideration for any more

Everyone cringes at the idea of giving any other mid-major conference multiple bids.

Here's the bottom line - to paraphrase what was said earlier, there are 36 at-large spots - you've got to fill them in somehow.If the selection committee took the attitude that CF has, which every single conference is overrated and doesn't deserve the number of teams that are being discussed, and then follows up with the idea that it's a ridiculous idea to give more spots to mid-majors, it would be impossible to fill in the tournament. Teams are going to have to be put in that the experts on CF just don't agree with. And as long as a deserving ISU team is one of those teams that is in, who really cares who else the selection committee decides to put in?

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
If last year is any indication I think more mid majors will get in with this 'soft bubble'. Last year VCU and UAB made it, and both were believed to be on the outside by most 'experts', but Colorado last year was believed to be in and they didn't make it.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The whole point of expanding the tournament is to reward mid majors with more picks. Analysts tend not to talk about them much because it is sometimes hard to make a case for them on paper. But mid majors who perform well are, believe it or not, one of the main reasons we watch that tournament.

Give the people more of what they want.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
This is all to set up the final game of the season, Iowa v. NW. Obviously, this is NW's Superbowl.