Why is Pollard a bad AD?

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
The main job for an AD is to hire and retain winning coaches and at that JP has been a failure. JP is a human version of a lottery ticket - sells the illusion of winning in the future.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Pollards Hires
Chizik- Hot name good hire at the time, some felt he was a steel. Didnt win but left a lot of good young talent behind that he brought to Ames. Left the program in better shape talentwise than he found it. Was a cocky ******* though.

GMac- Another hot name at the time. Had the resume from UNI. A nobrainer hire. Rumors are the BB program was in a mess when he took over and still trying to recover from that. Pollard did miss the fact that Mac didnt understand what it would take to win in the Big 12, from the outside that looks to be changing.

Cael- Another homerun hire. Who would have ever thought he would leave. This is why you have to be carefull when your own hire former great athletes.

Rhoades-Not such a hot name but a guy that will work to get it done right. Jury still out.

Hell yes I am pissed about the whole deal but we need to take a step back and look at what is going on.

Perhaps JP needs to learn his job with that coach/program is not done after the hire. Bringing in good people seems not to be a problem. However, keeping these guys and/or them being successful here is.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
In his first two years, Jamie spent over $4 million replacing these coaching staffs:
football
men's basketball
wrestling
gymnastics
soccer
cross country
track & field
women's golf
tennis
softball

Let's be fair here:
Gymnastics wasn't replaced. Oklahoma came offering more money and better facilities. We lost on that. We didn't pay a thing to get rid of that staff.
Wrestling was worse off? Funny. Being in the top 5 at Nationals really, really sucks. How can you exceed expectations as a top 5 program in the country?
Soccer I know nothing about.
Cross country is ranked higher than it has been in the past. Definitely exceeding expectations.
Track and Field just put a female in the Olympic Trials, and she's surrounded by a good team. If I had to say something, I'd say met expectations.
Women's golf, Tennis, and Softball I know nothing about.

Reactions: Angie

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
He's certainly a polarizing figure.

I like the facts that he's willing to try new things, raised the athletic budget, made facility improvements, runs a transparent budget and athletic program, and is very approachable.

I don't like that the mens football and basketball teams has gotten worse under his reign. I maintain however that much of the reason for that is left over baggage from past coaches and A.D.'s.

For those of you who are spouting so much venom on this site, I think it would be healthy for you to give Jamie a call and have a visit.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
He's certainly a polarizing figure.

I like the facts that he's willing to try new things, raised the athletic budget, made facility improvements, runs a transparent budget and athletic program, and is very approachable.

I don't like that the mens football and basketball teams has gotten worse under his reign. I maintain however that much of the reason for that is left over baggage from past coaches and A.D.'s.

For those of you who are spouting so much venom on this site, I think it would be healthy for you to give Jamie a call and have a visit.

I do agree with most of this, but MBB has had enough time to at least show progress on the court - that has not happened. How long do these programs get a pass that gets blamed on previous guys that were here?

FTR, I do not believe Pollard is a bad AD. But I do not believe him to be the perfect AD I once believed him to be or that many still think he is.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
BVD destroyed Iowa State athletics by not doing a thing while he was AD. Instead of capitalizing on the success Gene Smith brought to the university, he put the athletic program on cruise control. Pollard came into a bigger mess than anyone realized, and now he is the scapegoat.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
FTR, I do not believe Pollard is a bad AD. But I do not believe him to be the perfect AD I once believed him to be or that many still think he is.

I'm very sure JP would agree with you. Everybody is entitled to make a few mistakes. I certainly do every day, yet overall have done very well in my field.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
I do agree with most of this, but MBB has had enough time to at least show progress on the court - that has not happened. How long do these programs get a pass that gets blamed on previous guys that were here?

If Brackins leaves, that is 4 consecutive years of losing your best player when they could have come back. We are not Duke or Carolina and do not have McDonald's all-americans riding the pine waiting for the chance. Stinson leaving was the only one you could pin on McDermott, Taylor-didn't do what was asked of him, Johnson-poor advice from a relative, Brackins-if he leaves- the chance to earn more money in one year than most will their entire life.

clonedog

Dec 12, 2008
Jamie is a "scorched earth" A.D. He wants only his hires in place. I doubt you can find a 3-4 year period in the history of ISU athletics with the amount of coaching turnover we have seen. The gamble was to take us to the next level. Jamie is not screwing up little day to day decisions. His big, program changing decisions are not producing results. Jamie does not have much time for loyalty and he can't figure out why he is having loyalty issues. Mens BB and football are "the program" and Jamie is responsible for the lackluster performance in these two areas. Jamie gambled big time and he has lost. We have set football and basketball back several years and I doubt Jamie is going to have much success making promises of success and raising more money. The man is no longer credible and that is a problem for his position.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Jamie is a "scorched earth" A.D. He wants only his hires in place. I doubt you can find a 3-4 year period in the history of ISU athletics with the amount of coaching turnover we have seen. The gamble was to take us to the next level. Jamie is not screwing up little day to day decisions. His big, program changing decisions are not producing results. Jamie does not have much time for loyalty and he can't figure out why he is having loyalty issues. Mens BB and football are "the program" and Jamie is responsible for the lackluster performance in these two areas. Jamie gambled big time and he has lost. We have set football and basketball back several years and I doubt Jamie is going to have much success making promises of success and raising more money. The man is no longer credible and that is a problem for his position.

Wow.. That's so incorrect on so many levels...

clonedog

Dec 12, 2008
So Chizik was simply a bad hire. If you can't hire a guy with a committment to stay long enough to turn the program around, you should not be making the hire--we aren't flipping hamburgers...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
So Chizik was simply a bad hire. If you can't hire a guy with a committment to stay long enough to turn the program around, you should not be making the hire--we aren't flipping hamburgers...

I may be wrong, but I seriously doubt it was on his resume or said in his interview that he was going to leave so soon.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
So Chizik was simply a bad hire.

Chizik came here and took over a team that won 4 games, and turned it into a 3 win team. The next year he turned it into a 2 win team. Then he left. But he is in the record books as the coach who has the lowest winning percentage in ISU football history. Not one of the worst. The worst. So low that he is below Jim Walden. If Chizik wasn't a bad hire, I'd hate to see what is.

PS: I know there was an interim coach decades ago whose 0-3 record is worse than Chizik. Chizik is the worst of anyone who coached at least one whole season.

cy1225

Oct 6, 2007
Here's my own scorecard on JP:
1.I wouldn't blame JP on Chizik's departure. We knew that GC might treat us as a stepping stone, however no one expected him to bolt for Auburn that early.
2. I don't like how JP handle Mac's issues. Yes, Mac needs to go,. However, compared to his treatment to Chizik, JP should've done better with Mac. JP gave Chizik I believe the 2nd highest salary pool for his assistant (while we know the OC and DC didn't have necessary qualifications) while Mac always pleads to get his assistants taken care of (which apparently went unhearded / ignored).
3. I won't blame JP until I know what happened with Cael's departure. Unfortunately, we won't know at all/
4. Basketball: I blame JP for quickly pulled a trigger on Wayne Morgan. I think he should've given him a chance and told him what he didn't like so Morgan can fix things. Remember, Morgan was thrusted to be a HC after we failed to find someone who wanted to coach here.
5. Other hires: Track & Field. Anyone knows ?
6. Gymnastic: I think JP could've done better
7. Volleyball: good hire.
I'm still 50-50 in judging Pollard. I don't know how he interacts with student athletes, coaches, fans, boosters, etc. It'll be interesting to get a first hand feedbacks instead of "I heard", "I know someone who is..."

Pollard did not hire the Volleyball Coach the previous AD did.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron