Why is Matt Campbell still at Iowa State? To reset, rebuild the Cyclones’ magical rise

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Know for a fact that Iowa Stater's are working in the Artemis program, on to Mars!!

Edit: Also know that Iowa Stater's hold patents for anti-corrosion treatment for critical infrastructure materials like jet engines, boilers and other high temperature applications, maybe even bridges :p

How in the hell does our football team not win 100 games a year?!?

Look at this impressive list!

Reactions: agentbear

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
How in the hell does our football team not win 100 games a year?!?

Look at this impressive list!
Think we need Engineering to invent a football that deflates when touched by a non-ISU player and Business College to market it to the NCAA!:jimlad:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Know for a fact that Iowa Stater's are working in the Artemis program, on to Mars!!

Edit: Also know that Iowa Stater's hold patents for anti-corrosion treatment for critical infrastructure materials like jet engines, boilers and other high temperature applications, maybe even bridges :p
One of my best friends in college—with a PhD in EE, all three degrees from ISU—was working at JPL on Mars landers.

Before cancer.

**** cancer.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Good things have definitely been happening to ISU football, I’ve never said anything different.

I will admit that I struggle to believe CMC has been interested in other jobs, had offers, and turned them down. If his wife didn’t want to go to USC, then technically that was never a job he was really interested in actually taking IMO.

We all pretty much know he’s interested in ND and tOSU. Has he turned them down?

I could be offered a job to be a greeter at Walmart, and turn them down. Does that mean I’m super dedicated to my current job?
I think that he's VERY selective on what other jobs he even considers. And even more selective on ones that he'd actually interview for. Do I think that he has had many jobs where there was a concrete offer that he turned down? No, it usually doesn't get to that point. I feel like he looks at each job when he's contacted and then most times, he passes. A few times, he's probably gotten more information and maybe a few times he actually interviewed. In those cases, either he decided against it for whatever reason or the other program/team had someone they liked better.

It's worked out well for us. I would have bet my mortgage that after 2017-2020, he would not be that ISU coach going into Year 8. Very, very few people would turn down that money and a chance to be able to stock your roster with 4 and 5 stars.

Reactions: agentbear

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
How can this happen?

OL recruiting, coaching, and development hasn't exactly been good at Iowa State. We'd have a hard time pitching anything but playing time unless/until progress shows on the development side of the equation.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I know 100% he interviewed at USC and his wife shot that opportunity down.
Those that have the premium can see when I posted that:
https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/th...r-an-insider-video.271667/page-2#post-8338868
I was told through a source that I know their source is a pretty high up staff member that Campbell told the staff “he had not been chosen for a job he would’ve left for”. Not saying you’re wrong at all, and maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle, but I’ve heard through a couple other sources that Campbell was ready to go to USC until they locked Riley up late in the process

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I was told through a source that I know their source is a pretty high up staff member that Campbell told the staff “he had not been chosen for a job he would’ve left for”. Not saying you’re wrong at all, and maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle, but I’ve heard through a couple other sources that Campbell was ready to go to USC until they locked Riley up late in the process

That is some serious coach-speak. Did anyone respond, “Well, duh, coach, you’re still here.”

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Because

…and…

…on the verge.

Oh, and also because kids are free to go wherever the heck they want to,
Ribsnwhiskey said we didn't get Rakers because we got Holt. Didn't realize you can't take another. Also I could be wrong but I'm not sure the Helton twins area done deal. Hope we get them.

According to 247 K State has 10 iol and we have 2.

Oh and yeah I realize any of them can go where they want.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Ribsnwhiskey said we didn't get Rakers because we got Holt. Didn't realize you can't take another. Also I could be wrong but I'm not sure the Helton twins area done deal. Hope we get them.

According to 247 K State has 10 iol and we have 2.

Oh and yeah I realize any of them can go where they want.

If we only had 2 IOL on the team, it would be pretty hard to field a squad. Just looking at the roster, ISU has 7 scholarship IOLs plus Black and Buhr coming in next month. That's not counting OTs that could play inside.

ISU got their priority OG in Holt. IF they get the Helton twins, one is an OG and that would make two in the class. They have an OV set up for next month. I would argue that ISU has both Aisosa and Mandell higher on their board than Rakers just from reading the tea leaves. I think that the kid was smart to take that KSU offer because ISU was not pursuing him as hard as they are other guys.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Wait a second.... so CMC would have left if offered a job he actually wanted? Hmmm... that's what I've been saying all along. He's not some angel that is so dedicated to ISU that he's turned down all these jobs that he actually liked.

CMC is just like any other coach that would leave ISU in a second if offered something he wanted.

CMC is a good college football coach... and probably the best that ISU can hope for.... but he's not great IMO. I think we should hold on to him as long as we can because like I said, I'm not sure that we can attract anyone better. He's been able to upgrade our talent level here by quite a bit, but his teams here for the most part have under-performed IMO with the level of talent they've had. He's not had disciplined teams (always making the same stupid mistakes), he's not really developed players all that much (most have not improved while here, and some have even gotten worse), and he might be even more conservative than KF... which is saying something.

But with all that being said, I probably wouldn't trade him for any other ISU head coach we've ever had with the possible exception of McCarney. But that's also not saying much.... we haven't had many good head coaches here.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Reactions: Aclone