Why is Matt Campbell still at Iowa State? To reset, rebuild the Cyclones’ magical rise

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He’s had offers from jobs he’s interviewed for? That’s all I’m asking.

If anyone can link me to proof of this…. I will gladly admit I’m wrong on this. I’m not afraid to admit when I’m wrong.

Same thing with you though. You claimed he hasn’t had offers. Can you link to proof of that?

Reactions: madguy30

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020

If anyone can link me to proof of this…. I will gladly admit I’m wrong on this. I’m not afraid to admit when I’m wrong.
He doesn’t interview. He doesn’t have to. This isn’t a job at Prudential. He’s turned down a big chunk of college blue bloods that have all turned over in the past three years.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I think that this is being a little obtuse. First off, their is no way that Campbell is going into an interview if it’s not a complete leakproof lock down type situation. He can’t have it get out that he officially interviewed anywhere. Unless the interview is just a formality. Any interviews that he’s actually done are just going to be rumors and speculation, which is what he prefers.

Second, it’s completely possible that he was first choice for multiple jobs and passed before doing an actual interview. As in, Campbell is the guy they want, interview is a formality, Campbell says he’s not interested and they move on to the next candidate.

If I were to guess, I’d say he interviewed for that USC job. Probably ND unless they were absolutely set on Freeman and didn’t do interviews. Maybe Washington. Maybe the Lions. Schools like fsu, TN, AR I think he passed on before it ever got to that point.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

Unless there is some kind of leak, you are not going to get the proof you seem to need. That's unlikely because Campbell doesn't leak stuff and places that wanted him aren't going to admit he turned them down. However, there has been a huge amount of smoke saying this is true. Writers all over the country have said he has had other opportunities. It is pretty naive of you to think that hasn't happened.

Also, why do you think so little of Iowa State?

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I wonder a couple of things.

Was this AI written?

Does he have less choices than a couple of years ago?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Unless there is some kind of leak, you are not going to get the proof you seem to need. That's unlikely because Campbell doesn't leak stuff and places that wanted him aren't going to admit he turned them down. However, there has been a huge amount of smoke saying this is true. Writers all over the country have said he has had other opportunities. It is pretty naive of you to think that hasn't happened.

Also, why do you think so little of Iowa State?

We gave the world the computer, helped win WWII, continue feed the world, and have a top shelf business school (simply the best and even before it was called Ivy)!

I'm sure ISU had something to do with the space station and we have a mother ******* bridge

**** the haters

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020

If u are a real Iowa State fan then please call Jamie or point blank ask him at any Iowa State outing. You will be proven wrong.

Reactions: dafarmer

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
CMC has so many people fooled IMO. There, I said it.

I believe the only reason he hasn't left yet is because a better opportunity hasn't been offered to him.
What’s “better” for you (and a lot of America) may not be what’s “better” in his eyes.

He could go to ND, tOSU, Texas, LSU, Georgia, Alabama and if he went to any of those and consistently went 8-4, 9-3, or 10-2, the boosters there would want him fired. At ISU, we’d build a statue for him if he did that.

Look at his history, he’s never been the kind of person who wants anything handed to him, he wants a challenge and wants to prove people wrong. If he went to any of the schools mentions above, he’d have top prospects handed to him. At ISU, we have passionate fans during 8-4 seasons as well as during 4-8 seasons. That’s rare. ISU isn’t necessarily run or controlled by big boosters either like these blue bloods are, so he doesn’t always consistently have someone looking over his shoulder, breathing down his neck.

He’s consistently said before “you’re either trying to do something (build ISU) or be somebody (the next head coach at {insert blue blood}).” In the book Ego is the Enemy it talks about this exact quote and I truly believe CMC is trying to do something.

So, IMO, you’re wrong.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
What’s “better” for you (and a lot of America) may not be what’s “better” in his eyes.

He could go to ND, tOSU, Texas, LSU, Georgia, Alabama and if he went to any of those and consistently went 8-4, 9-3, or 10-2, the boosters there would want him fired. At ISU, we’d build a statue for him if he did that.

Look at his history, he’s never been the kind of person who wants anything handed to him, he wants a challenge and wants to prove people wrong. If he went to any of the schools mentions above, he’d have top prospects handed to him.

He’s consistently said before “you’re either trying to do something (build ISU) or be somebody (the next head coach at {insert blue blood}).” In the book Ego is the Enemy it talks about this exact quote and I truly believe CMC is trying to do something.

So, IMO, you’re wrong.
He's also quoted in the article saying:

These high-profile jobs he’s supposed to covet tend to come with a win-at-all-costs kind of existence. Sure, Campbell wants to compete for national titles. He just can’t help but wonder whether it’s possible to do so without betraying his values.

“Can you just try to be who you say you are?” he said. “That’s really what it’s been about for me.”

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
He's also quoted in the article saying:

These high-profile jobs he’s supposed to covet tend to come with a win-at-all-costs kind of existence. Sure, Campbell wants to compete for national titles. He just can’t help but wonder whether it’s possible to do so without betraying his values.

“Can you just try to be who you say you are?” he said. “That’s really what it’s been about for me.”
Bingo! And it’s unfathomable to some people that maybe Campbell isn’t like a lot of other l coaches out there who just look for the next big thing - a la Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelley. I think he’s a lot more like Dabo, who built Clemson from mediocre-ish into national champions

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
CMC has so many people fooled IMO. There, I said it.

I believe the only reason he hasn't left yet is because a better opportunity hasn't been offered to him.
You obviously have no idea what I was saying. There’s no doubt he’s probably been ISU’s best football coach ever.

All these people out there that think CMC has turned down all these great offers to stay at lowly ISU are kidding themselves.
There’s documented evidence that he turned down jobs that he interviewed for and was offered the job?

If so, I apologize, and I was wrong in my assessment.
I know 100% he interviewed at USC and his wife shot that opportunity down.
Those that have the premium can see when I posted that:
https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/th...r-an-insider-video.271667/page-2#post-8338868

• Informative
Reactions: Pat

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
If u are a real Iowa State fan then please call Jamie or point blank ask him at any Iowa State outing. You will be proven wrong.
I will defend clonedude here. If he grew up a Cyclone fan in the 80s, he may just have PTSD. Nothing good can come from ISU football so any success is a mirage and nobody else could want our coach.

Clonedude, it's okay to be vulnerable and believe good things are happening to ISU football. Many of us suffered through the same football things you did.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I will defend clonedude here. If he grew up a Cyclone fan in the 80s, he may just have PTSD. Nothing good can come from ISU football so any success is a mirage and nobody else could want our coach.

Clonedude, it's okay to be vulnerable and believe good things are happening to ISU football. Many of us suffered through the same football things you did.

Good things have definitely been happening to ISU football, I’ve never said anything different.

I will admit that I struggle to believe CMC has been interested in other jobs, had offers, and turned them down. If his wife didn’t want to go to USC, then technically that was never a job he was really interested in actually taking IMO.

We all pretty much know he’s interested in ND and tOSU. Has he turned them down?

I could be offered a job to be a greeter at Walmart, and turn them down. Does that mean I’m super dedicated to my current job?

• Dumb
Reactions: VeloClone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Look at his history, he’s never been the kind of person who wants anything handed to him, he wants a challenge and wants to prove people wrong. If he went to any of the schools mentions above, he’d have top prospects handed to him. At ISU, we have passionate fans during 8-4 seasons as well as during 4-8 seasons. That’s rare. ISU isn’t necessarily run or controlled by big boosters either like these blue bloods are, so he doesn’t always consistently have someone looking over his shoulder, breathing down his neck.
I think even more than that, his goal / calling / vocation is to use football as a means to help 18 year old kids develop into Fine Young Men. Teach them to work hard, set a good example, help others succeed, be leaders, et al. I think that is what CMC REALLY wants from his life and his job as a coach. Much more than just wins, autonomy, or money. And I think he knows can't do that just anywhere, and honestly probably very few P5 places at all.

I take him at his word on this - not only do I not think it's just lip service, I think he is MUCH more serious about it than he even puts forth (which is a lot).

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Good things have definitely been happening to ISU football, I’ve never said anything different.

I will admit that I struggle to believe CMC has been interested in other jobs, had offers, and turned them down. If his wife didn’t want to go to USC, then technically that was never a job he was really interested in actually taking IMO.

We all pretty much know he’s interested in ND and tOSU. Has he turned them down?

I could be offered a job to be a greeter at Walmart, and turn them down. Does that mean I’m super dedicated to my current job?

If he had zero interest at all, he never would have interviewed. If he was offered the job, he would have weighed the pro's and con's to make a decision.

Using your logic, no one in the history of the world has ever been interested in a job that they turned down.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
We gave the world the computer, helped win WWII, continue feed the world, and have a top shelf business school (simply the best and even before it was called Ivy)!

I'm sure ISU had something to do with the space station and we have a mother ******* bridge

**** the haters
Know for a fact that Iowa Stater's are working in the Artemis program, on to Mars!!

Edit: Also know that Iowa Stater's hold patents for anti-corrosion treatment for critical infrastructure materials like jet engines, boilers and other high temperature applications, maybe even bridges :p

Last edited:
Reactions: t-noah

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron