Why don't the remainders get aggressive?!!

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
What the remaining BIG 12 members (Mizzou, Baylor, ISU, KU, Kst) have to offer is a BCS berth and a chance to make things right that went horribly wrong the first time. Each of the remainders is set to make millions off of the defectors and there are schools that are willing to be plucked away from their current conferneces that could make the BIG 12 viable again rather than joining a Big East that could potentially be as unstable, as the BIG 12 was.

To make this happen, I think there are 4 schools you must get: TCU, Houston, Louisville and Memphis. All are pretty much guaranteed to come aboard if there is some semblence of structure and they are in pretty solid TV markets, and all fairly located geographically.

From there you ask Cincinnati if they are willing to travel to Baylor, TCU and Houston. If so, they are in.

Then you pick 2 (or 3 if Cincy won't do it) from this group to finish out the 12: UTEP, SMU, UAB, Rice.

Personally I hope for Cincy accepting and UTEP/SMU to join. Conference would look like this.

(North) ISU, Mizzou, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisville, Cincy

(South) TCU, Baylor, Houston, Memphis, UTEP, SMU

It's not "sexy" like the old BIG 12, but it is doable and would keep our BCS eligibility. I just think it is crazy that the schools remaining don't salvage something, especially when they are going to get paid for the others leaving and there are schools willing to join us (probably under new supervision however, sorry Mr. Beebe).

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
I think you get that aggressive the minute you know that all of the rest of the teams are on board. Missouri is still looking over their shoulder for a Big 10 invite that could come if ND decides to join. First domino to fall is the 5 to the Pac 10, making it the first 16 team conference. If TX were to abandon some of the others and go Big 10, a big shocker, I think you'd have to work less hard at fixing the Big XII. I might take BYU or Air Force over some of those Texas teams, but your idea is sound.

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
I hope we are aggressively looking for a parachute, like to the Big East.

I'm curious as to why? Why make the move to the Big East as opposed to saving something here?

We can take any school we want pretty much, in my belief, in the western half of that conference as they are on shaky ground anyway. You might even be able to persuade West Virginia, but I think it is likely they go to the ACC or SEC.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
So far only 2 teams have left and it that just happened in the last 24 to 48 hours. You can't start replacing all of these teams until they officially leave and Iowa State can't get too aggressive about finding another conference unless the other teams leave or they will get stuck with a $10 mil buyout.

I'm sure there are scenarios being talked about behind the scenes but they can't come out until the mass exodus happens.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think it makes way more sense to merge with that conference. It sounds like they want us, and if they all agree to stay, bring us in, and get a Big East Network going, it will be a MUCH better situation for everyone.

Reactions: cycloneML

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
So far only 2 teams have left and it that just happened in the last 24 to 48 hours. You can't start replacing all of these teams until they officially leave and Iowa State can't get too aggressive about finding another conference unless the other teams leave or they will get stuck with a $10 mil buyout.

I'm sure there are scenarios being talked about behind the scenes but they can't come out until the mass exodus happens.

I understand that. Of course my scenario would be hinged on the others leaving, which at this point is a foregone conclusion as it stands. It would be great if they stayed, that would be my overwhelming first option.

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
I'm curious as to why? Why make the move to the Big East as opposed to saving something here?

We can take any school we want pretty much, in my belief, in the western half of that conference as they are on shaky ground anyway. You might even be able to persuade West Virginia, but I think it is likely they go to the ACC or SEC.
The unfortunate reality is that none of those that are left are draws for other quality teams. Additionally, the Big 12 would lose its BCS standing unless you convince LSU, Arkansas, UCLA, Pittsburgh, Auburn, and a few other big names to make that jump. The Big 12 isn't a BCS conference by adding Utah, Boise St. Louisville, and Westen Michigan. The best cards that can fall are going to be aTm to the Pac-16, and the Big Ten and SEC not taking anyone else. That would open up the Big East for us. The only concern there is that the Big East will struggle to keep its BCS standing in the future.

NomadicClone

Jun 8, 2006
I understand that. Of course my scenario would be hinged on the others leaving, which at this point is a foregone conclusion as it stands. It would be great if they stayed, that would be my overwhelming first option.

I like your proposed scenario because:

1) We get to keep all the defcetion money
2) We get to keep ties to some long time foes
3) We can realisitcally compete in said conference

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
I think it makes way more sense to merge with that conference. It sounds like they want us, and if they all agree to stay, bring us in, and get a Big East Network going, it will be a MUCH better situation for everyone.

I disagree with that, it definitely doesn't make way more sense to merge with them. In football we would have to travel to Rutgers (NY or NJ, can't remember), Syracuse (NY), UCONN (you can figure that out), USF (FL), Pitt (PA)...these places aren't next door. In basketball, you add Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova, St. Johns to these other trips, that wipes out a school's budget, especially a school like ours. Now think of that happening for every sport we have...I don't think that makes much sense.

If we stay as geographically close as possible and rework our TV deal like we are supposed to, I think the upfront money may not be as good, but our net money would be much better in the end, in my opinion.

Reactions: alaskaguy

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

Basically your north division looks like what the Big East West would, but we would get DePaul and Marquette in basketball and be plugged into a great bball conference. I am just not excited about the remaining teams in the west/south. Your scenario isn't a bad thing though and much better than some alternatives. Also, I really want to lose the Big 12 label. It is tainted for me.

The unfortunate reality is that none of those that are left are draws for other quality teams. Additionally, the Big 12 would lose its BCS standing unless you convince LSU, Arkansas, UCLA, Pittsburgh, Auburn, and a few other big names to make that jump. The Big 12 isn't a BCS conference by adding Utah, Boise St. Louisville, and Westen Michigan. The best cards that can fall are going to be aTm to the Pac-16, and the Big Ten and SEC not taking anyone else. That would open up the Big East for us. The only concern there is that the Big East will struggle to keep its BCS standing in the future.

This also raises some of the issues.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I disagree with that, it definitely doesn't make way more sense to merge with them. In football we would have to travel to Rutgers (NY or NJ, can't remember), Syracuse (NY), UCONN (you can figure that out), USF (FL), Pitt (PA)...these places aren't next door. In basketball, you add Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova, St. Johns to these other trips, that wipes out a school's budget, especially a school like ours. Now think of that happening for every sport we have...I don't think that makes much sense.

If we stay as geographically close as possible and rework our TV deal like we are supposed to, I think the upfront money may not be as good, but our net money would be much better in the end, in my opinion.

Rework with who? The whole Big 12 south is bolting except Baylor. We need a BCS home. If the Big East remained a BCS league with 8 teams, it will remain BCS by adding 4 other members of BCS conferences.

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas

I agree somewhat with what you are saying, however I don't think the BCS will pull our automatic berth right away. I think there will be a grace period there. Also, by adding two other BCS conference teams (Louisville and Cincy) and a team that has been to a BCS bowl (TCU), we are showing the BCS that our conference still has BCS viability.

Plus, I think if we get Louisville and Cincy from the Big East, Big East football crumbles and one more berth opens up.

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
Rework with who? The whole Big 12 south is bolting except Baylor. We need a BCS home. If the Big East remained a BCS league with 8 teams, it will remain BCS by adding 4 other members of BCS conferences.

Our TV contract is supposed to be reworked in April (or something close to then is what Beebe said), which is before our current BIG 12 officially breaks. If we can get it restructured with other networks to get the BIG 12 on better channels with more frequency (which the BIG 12 believes it can), then TV-wise we will be ok.

I'm not saying the Big East won't remain a BCS conference if we join, but I'm looking at things from a geographical standpoint and a net money standpoint. In my opinion from those angles, if we take Louisville and Cincy, then Big East football is down to six and they are done and will find new homes. We then get to keep our defection money, have a new and hopefully viable conference that won't bleed money, and I would think would get to keep its BCS berth, especially since the Big East would be giving theirs up.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
The Big 12 officially ceases to exist without maintaining at least 6 teams that have competed together for a minimum of 5 years. No millions, no BCS berth, no Big 12 if the tally of deserters reaches 7.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
The Big 12 is dead, the sooner you realize that the sooner you can move on. I am going to bet a shiny new dime that ISU will not get any buyout money from the schools leaving. They will all find some legal loophole to make it out ok.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
What the remaining BIG 12 members (Mizzou, Baylor, ISU, KU, Kst) have to offer is a BCS berth and a chance to make things right that went horribly wrong the first time. Each of the remainders is set to make millions off of the defectors and there are schools that are willing to be plucked away from their current conferneces that could make the BIG 12 viable again rather than joining a Big East that could potentially be as unstable, as the BIG 12 was.

To make this happen, I think there are 4 schools you must get: TCU, Houston, Louisville and Memphis. All are pretty much guaranteed to come aboard if there is some semblence of structure and they are in pretty solid TV markets, and all fairly located geographically.

From there you ask Cincinnati if they are willing to travel to Baylor, TCU and Houston. If so, they are in.

Then you pick 2 (or 3 if Cincy won't do it) from this group to finish out the 12: UTEP, SMU, UAB, Rice.

Personally I hope for Cincy accepting and UTEP/SMU to join. Conference would look like this.

(North) ISU, Mizzou, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisville, Cincy

(South) TCU, Baylor, Houston, Memphis, UTEP, SMU

It's not "sexy" like the old BIG 12, but it is doable and would keep our BCS eligibility. I just think it is crazy that the schools remaining don't salvage something, especially when they are going to get paid for the others leaving and there are schools willing to join us (probably under new supervision however, sorry Mr. Beebe).

I like your thought process except you are really watering down the Texas market. I think the conference would be better served if you went after Arkansas and/or LSU for the south or grab a few more Mtn West schools like Utah, Air Force, Co St. and leave out Rice, SMU and/or UTEP.

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
The Big 12 is dead, the sooner you realize that the sooner you can move on. I am going to bet a shiny new dime that ISU will not get any buyout money from the schools leaving. They will all find some legal loophole to make it out ok.

Best case is for the Big Ten and SEC to decide who they want from the ACC and Big East quickly, so everyone knows who is left. It looks like the Pac 10 16 will be decided next week so that resolves A&M, Kansas and Utah. A&M to the SEC starts the SEC expansion process.

Mizzou won't commit to anything new until they are sure the Big 10 and SEC are closed to them. Worst case scenario is the Big Ten and SEC drag out getting to 16 for two or three years leaving the ACC and Big East in limbo.

Once the four 16 team superconferences are formed there may be a decent 12 or 16 team conference by merging the remnants of the Big East, Big 12 and the best of the Mountain West. You could also look at the best of a CUSA.