Why do so many kids hate going to school?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The subjects I liked usually involved a teacher who approached things from a different angle. Same material, presented in a more interesting way. Plus, you could tell when the teacher was excited about what they were talking about. That makes a huge difference. I am interested in history to this day in part due to a teacher whose eyes would practically bug out when he was particularly passionate about his subject.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
They see a need to start over, building from the ground up. In their ideal school, grading and testing would be minimized and teachers would not be cops or dictators. Schools would have fewer desks and more open space. Each day would start with an hour of exercise, not the dreaded rope climbing but sport as play, which would include teachers. Homework would be minimized, as real teaching and dialogue fill the day

I can see the exercise to begin the day, just to wake the kids up, but other than that, I disagree. I just don't buy into the no test, no grade line of thought. School is not designed to make kids feel good about themselves. That is what parents are for.
I can't figure out what they mean by "real teaching and dialogue."

For the bolded part, tell that to the parents that call teachers complaining about their child's grade because they "work hard." It happens more often than you may believe.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
I just don't buy into the no test, no grade line of thought. School is not designed to make kids feel good about themselves. That is what parents are for.

agree 100%. why are we even sending kids to school if the ones who truly need schooling are the ones that are getting left behind? we had all kinds of LD classes for kids that needed it, but it always amounted to them either having a copy of the test before they took it or the teacher doing it for them. this is why i think it is cheap daycare for kids age 5-18.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
In my opinion, good teachers are made by good parents. I am very vigilant about not turning my child's complete education over to the school when my kids start Kindergarten. There's so much teaching that has to go on at home, completely separate from school, that will make a child successful.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Thank god for NCLB!

Heh, good one.

Teaching to the least intelligent/motivated members of the classroom has been going on for a lot longer than NCLB has been in existence.

From 1st through 6th grade I was always sat next to a kid like this and somehow the teacher always weasled me into tutoring them as well.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Heh, good one.

Teaching to the least intelligent/motivated members of the classroom has been going on for a lot longer than NCLB has been in existence.

From 1st through 6th grade I was always sat next to a kid like this and somehow the teacher always weasled me into tutoring them as well.
It has been going on longer than 2001, but school funding hadn't been cut for that reason prior to that to my knowledge. Actually, when you teach someone else something, you learn the material even better, so you may feel like you were done a disservice, but you likely ended up learning the material even better than you had it before.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Kids don’t like school because the alternative (they imagine) is watching TV, playing video games and eating Fritos. And who is to blame for allowing them to live such a life?

Reactions: CYVADER

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
In my opinion, good teachers are made by good parents. I am very vigilant about not turning my child's complete education over to the school when my kids start Kindergarten. There's so much teaching that has to go on at home, completely separate from school, that will make a child successful.

this was definately true for me. i remember getting bored with schoolwork when i was in 2nd and 3rd grade, so my parents would actually teach me to do math problems for a grade or two ahead of me. i am a dork, especially when it comes to math.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
It has been going on longer than 2001, but school funding hadn't been cut for that reason prior to that to my knowledge. Actually, when you teach someone else something, you learn the material even better, so you may feel like you were done a disservice, but you likely ended up learning the material even better than you had it before.

Yup it's one of the techniques they teach you to teach....

As a student, if you're required to teach someone else about what you know, it forces you to have a greater knowledge of the subject material. Pair/share technique.

I've always had my doubts as to whether you learn the stuff the other kids are teaching you quite as well as you would from a teacher, but it still has its benefits.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Kids don’t like school because the alternative (they imagine) is watching TV, playing video games and eating Fritos. And who is to blame for allowing them to live such a life?

Of all the snacks out there, you picked Fritos?

You're kind of crazy.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

No I know, and I never minded tutoring/helping people that legitimately didn't understand stuff. I've done it my whole life and enjoy it (I spent all of last year as a TA actually)

I just couldn't stand being forced to work with freaking kids that just don't care and don't want to do anything

FWIW I think the ADA has had as much to do if not more with the deterioration of public schools as NCLB......friggin 'BD Assistants' are the most worthless state employees in the history of time

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
yeah they make them but why wouldn't you just wait until fall, make a batch of homemade chili with cheese, and get a big bag of the fritos scoops? i can't wait for tailgating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
I was a nerd. I loved the educational part of school - who wouldn’t be happy in an environment where one can excel at something - but didn't particularly care about the social part of school - I didn't like being marginalized.

I understood that the curriculum was not designed for me and found ways to fill the time.

My kids are different, my son liked and excelled at school, while my daughter hated it. I guess school might be similar to life, in that it aims to fit everyone's needs, but in doing so it may ignore the bulk of student's needs.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

I don't know about kids and school, but that is certainly why I don't like work! :yes:

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
I hate school because it is boring. I never learn anything new because I am held to the standards of the dumbest kid at the school. We need a high school system similar to the college system. I go to a smaller school, so I really don't have any choice for my classes. Oh and English nowadays is the most pointless waste of 45 minutes ever.
This describes my sentiments in K-12 as well with regards to most of the subjects. Most of my best artwork was done during my junior high social studies class, during which I would also sleep on occasion and still get an A with next to no effort. I recall not liking 1st grade because the books the teacher read were stupid fiction books that didn't teach anything though, so I might be a little weird.

I would also agree with the English comment. My best English instructor was a really old guy who was close to retirement. He had grammar and sentence structure down to a T, and made a good effort to actually teach it to us. I didn't really realize it until I started doing philosophy though, at which point some of the finer points of language actually started to matter. I've also gained a new appreciation for that education since I went to law school and couldn't just write "A" papers in my sleep anymore. By contrast, my other English instructors in high school, and to a large extent college (although I only had 1 semester) basically just had me read books and write the occasional paper for which they provided little feedback. This taught me very little about the English language.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I recall not liking 1st grade because the books the teacher read were stupid fiction books that didn't teach anything though, so I might be a little weird.

Actually, the vast majority of grade-school aged boys prefer nonfiction. You're not weird.