Results are only viewable after voting.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm trying to figure out the amount of dumbs you're getting on some of these posts. @awd4cy do you just dislike Cowgirl or something?
There are about 10 posters that just dumb other peoples posts no matter what. I had a couple who did but put them on ignore.
He really dislikes me from the Cave I assume. I don't recall ever really interacting with him but see his dumbs in the crowd of those who rate a lot but never engage in good faith.
And then it happens to these posts.
Welcome to my ignore list @awd4cy

• Haha
Reactions: awd4cy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate farmers and their work. But holy **** they ***** about everything. Too much rain, not enough rain, too much wind. And then they expect the state government to write them a subsidy check for it. I have no problem with people getting the help they need, but if local farmers keep getting subsidy checks then they should stop ******** about the poor getting some welfare help as well.
After reading a couple pages you should change the title to, Why are farmers so defensive about their unhappiness?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
What's sad is that the farmers that actually grow and raise real food for my table...the CSA and farmer's market vegetable and fruit growers...the poultry, hog, and cattle producers that don't use confinement practices...don't get any subsidies or bailouts.

Actually that's not true the livestock producers would be eligible for whatever programs that are open. Veggies and fruit I would agree with but there are getting to be more programs available to them especially if it is disaster assistance.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
After reading a couple pages you should change the title to, Why are farmers so defensive about their unhappiness?

Everyone here seems to have an opinion on them, whether they actually know any or not, that's for sure. I can't imagine another profession outside of politicians that might apply to.

For the record to the OP's question, I'm pretty happy. But it doesn't take much for me to be that way. All my neighbors would give you the shirt off their backs. I own a good chunk of the most beautiful part of one of the most beautiful states in the Union, my shelves are stacked with homegrown produce and my freezers are full, my family is healthy, and we work together toward common goals. If I keep it up I know that my children will be much better off financially because of my efforts. The quality of life here is pretty high if you can handle the work (and the debt service.)

I'm not looking for praise from anybody, we've all chosen to be here for our own reasons. I've made many mistakes and lost bunches and bunches due to things outside of my own control. But that has value in a good life as well, I think. We are always learning out here.

Anyhoo, gotta get back and keep working to build some barbed wire fence. Have a great day everyone!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Everyone here seems to have an opinion on them, whether they actually know any or not, that's for sure. I can't imagine another profession outside of politicians that might apply to.

For the record to the OP's question, I'm pretty happy. But it doesn't take much for me to be that way. All my neighbors would give you the shirt off their backs. I own a good chunk of the most beautiful part of one of the most beautiful states in the Union, my shelves are stacked with homegrown produce and my freezers are full, my family is healthy, and we work together toward common goals. If I keep it up I know that my children will be much better off financially because of my efforts. The quality of life here is pretty high if you can handle the work (and the debt service.)

I'm not looking for praise from anybody, we've all chosen to be here for our own reasons. I've made many mistakes and lost bunches and bunches due to things outside of my own control. But that has value in a good life as well, I think. We are always learning out here.

Anyhoo, gotta get back and keep working to build some barbed wire fence. Have a great day everyone!
The simple answer is farming is a stressful job. I grew up on a farm. I just found it amusing so many here get defensive about the question. Personally I'm an *******. It works out well all my friends are too.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Definitely not treating outside. It honestly looks like treatment dust-off from loading seed tenders or semis, but that is a shockingly large amount. The treatment on the conveyor and immediately around the bottom I can understand, but I'm pretty lost as to how the entire slab of concrete is covered.

The conveyor to the right of the building that goes into the grain leg also appears to have treatment residue, so I'm wonder if this is a re-work facility where they are dumping and rebagging large quantities of treated corn.

I can almost guarantee they’re dumping old treated corn. Corn goes bad and it has to go somewhere. They do have a corn facility at the Adel location.

As far as the slab, It looks like the treatment dust is being spread around by forklifts coming in and out of the building.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
That’s the thing. There are other companies producing quality products. The big players in that other 40% are still very competitive. Like Stine in soybeans
Aren’t ALL soybeans either Stine, Syngenta, Asgrow or Pioneer? They’re the only ones with actual plant breeders. Or at least the only ones patenting anything.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Aren’t ALL soybeans either Stine, Syngenta, Asgrow or Pioneer? They’re the only ones with actual plant breeders. Or at least the only ones patenting anything.

You need to throw GDM in there. There are also some tech companies like Inari trying to gene edit their way into the market.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I can almost guarantee they’re dumping old treated corn. Corn goes bad and it has to go somewhere. They do have a corn facility at the Adel location.

As far as the slab, It looks like the treatment dust is being spread around by forklifts coming in and out of the building.
Generally (at least at the seed company I'm with) seed discards would be sent out in boxes or paper bags to the incinerator, then the empty boxes would be returned. I don't know who in their right mind would be willing to contaminate a semi hopper for discard product. But, if they were rebagging, I don't know why they would need the conveyor.

I'm perplexed.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Not necessarily, there are still public varieties out there. The vast majority of what is planted comes from one of those parent companies, however. Soybean genetics aren't protected as tightly as corn. Where things get sticky is when you start introducing the herbicide traits.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Generally (at least at the seed company I'm with) seed discards would be sent out in boxes or paper bags to the incinerator, then the empty boxes would be returned. I don't know who in their right mind would be willing to contaminate a semi hopper for discard product. But, if they were rebagging, I don't know why they would need the conveyor.

I'm perplexed.

People can use discard treated seed as cover crop in the fall. It’s almost impossible to find someone to take discard treated seed right now.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Relative newcomer? I have heard of Don Mario. Are these legit market share contenders or more buyout bait?

GDM is legit and is attempting to come on strong in the US over recent years. They are a big player in South America. They claim on their website their genetics are in 1/3 of the soybeans sold worldwide.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Turn2

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Name one, and the traits included.
Clemson University has a lineup of later maturities, and Ohio Seed Improvement have some as well. Pretty sure some of Clemson's are even Roundup Ready since the Roundup Ready 1 gene came off patent a few years back. There are others out there, generally bred by universities.

• Informative

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
People can use discard treated seed as cover crop in the fall. It’s almost impossible to find someone to take discard treated seed right now.
Interesting, I don't think I've heard of that. We require anything discarded to be destroyed, and frankly I'm surprised all companies aren't that way for genetic protection. We do however donate some treated seed DNR for food plots every year.

Last edited:
  • Informative

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Interesting, I don't think I've heard of that. We require anything discared to be destroyed, and frankly I'm surprised all companies aren't that way for genetic protection. We do however donate some treated seed DNR for food plots every year.

You may be shocked at how many smaller mom and pop conditioning facilities there are around the US and since a lot of them are family owned, they also farm and own ground to dispose of it.

As far as genetic protection, it would probably be easier to just go buy beans and then bin run them the following year. You don’t really have to worry about genetic protection with hybrid corn. In both cases, if they’re used as cover, they’ll never mature and are just sprayed off.

Help Support Us

Become a patron