Whose Superbowl?

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I have it on good authority from a contact inside the Iowa program that throughout the spring, Ferentz put a premium on one team, and one team only---ISU. There were some quotes shared that can't be typed on this board, but lets just leave it at it sounds like they spent a lot more time on us this spring than we did on them.

AustinCyclone

Nov 17, 2006
Austin, TX
I'd love to throw out some Hawk joke here, but as much as I hate to admit it the fact that we have zeroed in on the Iowa game so much over the years and they have "overlooked" us has played into our favor more often than not. There has been more than one year when ISU was not the better team on the field but the prep factor was definitely to our advantage.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd love to throw out some Hawk joke here, but as much as I hate to admit it the fact that we have zeroed in on the Iowa game so much over the years and they have "overlooked" us has played into our favor more often than not. There has been more than one year when ISU was not the better team on the field but the prep factor was definitely to our advantage.

The only time I truly think they had a better team and we beat them was 2002. In fact only in 2002 and 2007 did ISU beat Iowa, and Iowa went on to a better record. You can make a pretty strong argument in 2007, that had ISU played Iowa's joke of a schedule, they would've finished with a similar record...

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
So if we beat them, they can't use the "we don't care enough about this game" excuse.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Can you say CYA?? I have a feeling that Iowa fans could be calling for his head if they can't beat us at home. They really didn't like getting beat by Western Mich, but lowly, lowly ISU? That's a whole new low as far as many are concerned... :biglaugh:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
And it will still be our Super Bowl, too, as long as 5 new Iowa threads are created each day.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. This game has been and always will be the Super Bowl of the season to fans on both sides. Why? Because even if you can earn bragging rights over Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, or Texas, most of us don't have much exposure to fans of those schools throughout the year.

As for the teams, this game is huge for both this year as well. Iowa has struggled the last couple years and really needs to have a good season with a soft schedule to prove that the last couple years have been the exception and not the rule. If they drop the ISU game they could also lose to Pitt and enter the conference season 2-2 with their confidence shaken. That is not a place they can afford to be.

As for ISU, a lot of people think we can squeek out 6 wins and slip into a bowl game. This would be a huge boost for Chizik's rebuilding process and a big shot in the arm for fan enthusiasm. An iowa win would be a huge boost towards meeting this goal. I feel an iowa loss could easily lead to a road loss to UNLV and a 2-2 record going into conference play. I think if we want to win 6 or more, we have to have more than 2 wins going into Big 12 play.

Looks like we can enjoy 2 Super Bowls this year, woohoo!!!

Brady12

Aug 11, 2006
I have it on good authority that wartknight is an idiot and Chizik wears a purple polkadot thong everyday. Since we're spreading baseless rumors, I thought I'd weigh in.

Like KF, is even thinking about a game plan for a specific game right now.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
It's both teams superbowls. That is plainly evident.

This year, however, it's also a vital non-conference game for Iowa. They, and more importantly Ferentz, honestly need this game. It's a feather in ISU's cap if they win, but I don't think anyone would tell you that it's a must win for ISU, or even that most ISU fans are expecting a win. For Ferentz and Iowa, a loss to ISU at home would be devistating, especially if they lose to Pitt the week before.

Reactions: Brady12

Brady12

Aug 11, 2006
Why wouldn't he... I hope that our coaches are preparing for every team on the schedule right now.

Really, Chizik is basing practices around the Nebraska game right now? considering he has no idea what their strengths and weaknesses are and how they're actually going to come out and play?

My guess is both coaches are focusing on conditioning, fundamentals and overall familiarizing their players with their offensive and defensive scheme right now, NOT around a particular team, to do so is just dumb!

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
Really, Chizik is basing practices around the Nebraska game right now? considering he has no idea what their strengths and weaknesses are and how they're actually going to come out and play?

My guess is both coaches are focusing on conditioning, fundamentals and overall familiarizing their players with their offensive and defensive scheme right now, NOT around a particular team, to do so is just dumb!

I didn't say "basing practice" ... They should be thinking about a game plan and have a preliminary game plan in place, that will be pulled out the week before the contest.

These guys work 70-90+ hours a week... I don't think they spend all that time thinking about "conditioning"

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Watch your exaggeration.

So it might be more like 3 or 4 new threads a day, but I wasn't exaggerating by much. There ARE multiple new Iowa threads on a daily basis. I know it is the off season, but we have 11 other teams on our schedule that we can talk about, too.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I would like for the Hawks to come out with some fire in this game also, but on the other hand I will take a win over Northwestern before a win over Iowa St as it means a lot more. You can't win the conference by beating ISU and on the other hand you can't lose the conference title by losing to them either. Losing to them could cost you a BCS bid, as the automatic bid goes to the team with the better overall record if there is a tie for the title, but the Hawks aren't in that position to worry about that anyway.

This was a quote from the Hawk thread about this thread. God, those guys are full of ****... Any Hawk fan who says pre-season that he'd rather beat Northwestern than ISU is a liar...

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I would like for the Hawks to come out with some fire in this game also, but on the other hand I will take a win over Northwestern before a win over Iowa St as it means a lot more. You can't win the conference by beating ISU and on the other hand you can't lose the conference title by losing to them either. Losing to them could cost you a BCS bid, as the automatic bid goes to the team with the better overall record if there is a tie for the title, but the Hawks aren't in that position to worry about that anyway.

This was a quote from the Hawk thread about this thread. God, those guys are full of ****... Any Hawk fan who says pre-season that he'd rather beat Northwestern than ISU is a liar...

Agreed. They make this argument about it being more important to win conference titles and that is total BS. While I would agree that either side would trade a win in this game for a conference title if given the chance, I don't think that is a realistic option this year. I don't see either team competing for a conference title this year so this season it is just a shallow argument to hide behind because they are actually fearful of losing to us. That's right hawk fans, talk down to us all you like but deep down this game scares every single one of you.

And by the way iowa fans, you can go ahead and come down off of your mountain talking about how you would rather go to January bowls and win conference titles than beat ISU. You had a good run for a couple of years, but as time passes it is becoming more and more obvious that conference titles and January bowls aren't the norm for iowa and probably never will be. You should take interest in beating ISU, it is a much more attainable goal for a program at your level...... of course you haven't been doing an outstanding job at that lately either...

Last edited by a moderator:

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

Okay, now when did we actually beat Iowa. Everything I read says that yes Iowa lost the game according to the score but they didn't get beat, and were obviously the better team.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron