Who starts at the 2 next year?

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
Just want to remind people who are ready to sit Lucca-

He WAS our third leading scorer (8.2 ppg- not saying a lot, i realize) and the next most was Vanderbeken at 5.5 ppg

We're very eager to replace him w/ "athletes" who are unproven... and not even on campus yet. It may well be the case, what do I know...

Finally, remember that he made eight 3 pointers one game this year.... just a reminder of what he is capable of.

My point exactly, and we still lost! He can't guard or take it to the hoop. End of discussion, IF, we want to be better.

Dolokaju

Jun 8, 2006
I would like to see Diante, Buckley and Colvin share the top 2 spots...however, we know about how freshmen are....also, I think we need to consider Eikmeier and Christopherson with another year in the system. I think Lucca is left at the 3 coming off the bench for 3 point shooting....

Assuming we keep Craig, I think this 8 man rotation could be pretty good...

Diante-Buckley-Colvin covering 1 & 2
Gilstrap-Lucca handling the 3
Brackins-Vanderbeeken-Hamilton at the 4 & 5

Have Eikmeier, Christopherson or Dendy coming as need for a 9th or 10th...

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Lucca starts at the 2. His lack of defense can be made up if we have good help defense that rotates well. UNI doesn't have any one defender that locks you down but they play great team defense

I don't see Dendy starting next year

I also don't get the argument that Colvin will need to be NBA material to start over DG and Buckley. That would mean those guys are All Big 12 players which they are not. All he would have to be is above average and he has a good chance of playing some quality minutes and fighting for a starting spot

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
My point exactly, and we still lost! He can't guard or take it to the hoop. End of discussion, IF, we want to be better.

I guess I don't see how Lucca scoring 24 pts makes him responsible for our loss? I'd say he was the least of our problems that night.

There is such a thing as off-season improvement.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'd like to see:

Buckley - Colvin
Garrett - Boozer
Gilstrap - Staiger
Brackins - Pomlee
Hamilton - Dendy - Vanderbeiken

Having Garrett and Buckley on the floor will provide enough ball handling to help against full court presses and traps that have become rather commonplace in the Big12. What I like about next year's team is we seem to have at least two guys at each position to come in as needed. That way guys don't have to learn 3 different positions to fill in where needed.

As far as Lucca goes, he should just be listed as a forward. He's not quick enough to play defense against guards and is big enough he should be able to post people up if he learns some moves. I think he may start at the 3 at the beginnign of the year, but Gilstrap will overtake him. He will definately be an important guy off the bench though.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
1 -Buck-Colvin
2 - Lucca-DG-Booze
3 - Gilstrap-Booze
4 - LD-HAM-JVB
5 - CB-LAP

Elk to redshirt.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
I don't understand why anyone would want Diante to play the 2. He cannot shoot the ball. He is 20/91 from three, which is about 22%. I don't see him as anything other than a true point guard. He was 4th in the big 12 in assists per game this year. I think once he is surrounded with more talent he will really start to shine. I see our lineup as

1 - DG/Buckley/Colvin
2 - Lucca/Colvin/Christopherson/Boozer
3 - Gilstrap/Lucca/Dendy
4 - Brackins/Dendy/Pomlee
5 - Hamilton/JVB/Brackins

Reactions: Wesley and Gordyo5

04clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2006
This thread is a perfect example of how expectations get out of control on this board. People are already putting Dendy in the starting lineup. Don't get me wrong, I hope he's that good, but we only need to look back one year for a good comparison. VanderBeken was rated similarly to Dendy (and had better JUCO stats). He started a couple of games, and was largely hit & miss. That's what we should be expecting from Dendy. Anything more is gravy.

Furthermore, our frontcourt was actually decent this year, and will be better next year even without Dendy. Ham & JVB will have a good battle for the other starting spot, assuming Brackins stays.

I'm not trying to call out anyone in particular, just pointing out the tendency of this board to build larger than life expectations. I get the feeling that Harrison Barnes would have to score 35 points/game to live up to this board's expectations...

Reactions: ajk4st8

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Beginning the year I'm sure Lucca starts at the 2

As the year goes on I would much rather see Buckley at PG and Diante at the 2

Then you are going to have CB be the best 3 point shooter on the court. McD is going to have Lucca or Boozer on the court, because he lovest the 3 point shot so much.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I'm not trying to call out anyone in particular, just pointing out the tendency of this board to build larger than life expectations. I get the feeling that Harrison Barnes would have to score 35 points/game to live up to this board's expectations...

I don't think 35 is too much to ask for, he is going to have to pick up the lack of scoring when CB leaves. :jimlad:

schidj

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Boozer will see limited action unless he learns how to put the ball on the floor and dribble.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This thread is a perfect example of how expectations get out of control on this board. People are already putting Dendy in the starting lineup.

Agreed, I'd be surprised if the lineup at the start of the year is anything other than Garrett/Staiger/Gilstrap/Brackins/Hamilton. I'd like there to be a backcourt rotation of Garrett, Buck, Colvin, Gilstrap and Lucca, along with a frontcourt rotation of Brackins, Hamilton, JVB, and Dendy. That's nine guys there, we don't need any more than that getting major minutes.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Boozer will see limited action unless he learns how to put the ball on the floor and dribble.

And learn to feed the post and stop sending the guy he is guarding to the FT line. Boozer might have a following, but he doesn't help keep the team in the game on either end of the court. Check the play by play lines of the games in which he got the most minutes - there is no evidence of impacting the scoreboard when he enters the game.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
This thread is a perfect example of how expectations get out of control on this board. People are already putting Dendy in the starting lineup. Don't get me wrong, I hope he's that good, but we only need to look back one year for a good comparison. VanderBeken was rated similarly to Dendy (and had better JUCO stats). He started a couple of games, and was largely hit & miss. That's what we should be expecting from Dendy. Anything more is gravy.

Furthermore, our frontcourt was actually decent this year, and will be better next year even without Dendy. Ham & JVB will have a good battle for the other starting spot, assuming Brackins stays.

Comparing JVB and Dendy isnt really possible because they play completely different styles.

JVB is a wimp inside. He doesnt play good defense, he doest rebound great, and hes soft. That being said I absolutely love his offensive game, his ability to strech the court for CB inside, etc. I just think he gets too passive and is afraid to post up.

Dendy on the other hand is a tough rebounder, im not sure what his defense is like, but he certainly has the athletic ability to guard PF's in our league, also he has a good face up game and a lot better back to the basket game than Jamie.

Will this translate to this level immediately, i dont know, and that is why i said by the time conference play starts i expect Dendy and CB to be our starting post players. The athleticism and rebounding of Dendy goes great with CB. I actually see Dendy as having pretty much the same skill set as Craig, obviously not as good as CB this year, but i can see Dendy putting up 11 points, 6 reb a game like CB did in his first year

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
This whole debate is why I still feel we are a solid multi-threat guard away from a legit tournament team even with Brackins back....

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This whole debate is why I still feel we are a solid multi-threat guard away from a legit tournament team even with Brackins back....

IMO we need Colvin to be a major contributor next year. I don't know if he's up to it or not but we absolutely need him to get where we want to be.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Experience wins out here. Colvin would have to be NBA material to beat out DG and Buckley as a true Freshman. Only my opinion. Hope he is, but not likely as a freshmen.

Actually, the one position you can get away with being young is at the point if you have solid, veteran players around them which we do. IMO having a young point guard with veteran leadership around him can be very compatible and great in the long run because the expectations are taken off the Frosh.... In this case, if Colvin is ready for the point, we need his athleticism and size. To me, the one who may be out is DG if Colvins ready to play. He cannot shoot well enough to man the 2 spot and i think Christopherson or Eik wins that spot. A lot of people say Lucca, but, based on last season he has some work to do on his defensive abilities to win that spot.

Gilstrap at the 3
Brackins at the 4
Dendy at the 5

The two things we've needed since Mac took over was a 3 that can create his own shot and a PG that can penetrate and either finish or dish. I like DG, but to me, he does not utilize his slashing capability enough and his play is too sporadic. He lacks the finishing capability near the rim and i'm not sure that Colvins got it, but i think Buckley does. Buckley's play reminds me of Rumeal Robinson of Michigan.

To me, i think we will see the best five out there this season - regardless of class seniority.