Votes: 280 61.5%
  • Washington

Votes: 195 42.9%
  • Oregon

Votes: 303 66.6%

• Total voters

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
The PAC was a disaster and hardly in a position to be poaching when it still had its biggest name in USC. Other schools are probably assuming Oregon and maybe UW are going to be in play over the years for the Big 10, so no one in their right mind would jump to the PAC from the Big 12. The PAC is as good as dead. As media value shifts from tagging along to cable and sat to more and more value to teams that have people watch games, the PAC teams get less valuable. The only PAC team moving in a positive direction in that regard is Utah. Oregon is a good draw, but not as great as people think. The last couple of years you put Oregon, ISU and Okie State on the same level of network and time slot they all draw similar viewers. Utah is about there too. UW is falling behind there, and the rest of the PAC sucks hard in getting people to watch.

Reactions: FilthyShadow

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
It’s becoming increasingly apparent that the B1G isn’t inviting Oregon and Washington.

I think 16 is the number to be at. Oregon, Washington, Arizona State, and Utah would be my targets.

It’d add the biggest remaining national brand (Oregon), monster media markets in Seattle, and Phoenix, and a consistently solid program in Utah. An annual BYU/Utah conference game would be inventory gold for the Big 12.

Arizona and Colorado would be on deck for me if it falls through with any of the above four.
Do you really think the B1G invited USC & UCLA to sit on an island across the country? Of course at least two other teams are getting invited. The B1G is waiting to see if ND jumps and if it does it will give ND a huge say in who is added. That might mean the difference whether Stanford is added or not if ND deems them important. Conferences, sportswriters, etc all make statements like "the league is not inviting other teams AT THIS TIME, but that can be changed literally next week.

That being said probably both UW & OR get accepted in the next month whether ND comes or not.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneSpinning

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Do you really think the B1G invited USC & UCLA to sit on an island across the country? Of course at least two other teams are getting invited. The B1G is waiting to see if ND jumps and if it does it will give ND a huge say in who is added. That might mean the difference whether Stanford is added or not if ND deems them important. Conferences, sportswriters, etc all make statements like "the league is not inviting other teams AT THIS TIME, but that can be changed literally next week.

That being said probably both UW & OR get accepted in the next month whether ND comes or not.
And that is why there is no way in hell the PAC is going to be poaching Big 12 teams.

PAC was in trouble, then USC and UCLA left
Oregon and UW are jumping at the first chance at a Big 10 invite, which seems likely at some point.

PAC. IS. DEAD.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
The ONLY chance UW & OR don't go to the B1G is USC & UCLA feel it differentiates themselves by the only west coast schools being in the B1G and see that as a recruiting advantage and a way to not lose players to UW & OR but I doubt it. There new tv deal is supposed to involve FOX, CBS & NBC besides BTN and FS1. Some are rumoring ESPN is back in. You need more inventory to support 3 national networks.

IF ND & Stanford went to the B1G and the B1G or SEC pried away NC & Va. and then the realignment stopped that would be best for the remaining leagues and would leave some quality teams for the B12 with PAC additions and ACC.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
And that is why there is no way in hell the PAC is going to be poaching Big 12 teams.

Oregon and UW are jumping at the first chance at a Big 10 invite, which seems likely at some point.

PAC. IS. DEAD.

To think otherwise is to have not experienced life in the Big 12 the past decade plus. I want to hit all these "experts" in the head who don't see the exact same pattern coming. I mean, none of this is new, we know how this works.

This is like if Texas and another top 3 school had been the first teams to leave the original Big 12 rather than mid level Neb/CU...and Big 12 schools were already geographically far flung and isolated. It's losing the flagship member and probably another top 3 or 4 member when the league was already struggling at full strength. It's losing its largest market and second biggest market in country, although probably only 5 or 6 sports market.

Their options are to hold at 10 for a year or two, or add teams like SDSU, Nevada, NM or Boise.

If we hadn't added BYU and Houston I think those two would be getting strong looks. Academics/religion is out the window when it's survival mode for half the members.

I don't know that much about SDSU and Fresno State. Do they make sense? I have to think the bay area schools already more than cover Fresno/central valley market but having something in socal probably makes sense.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
  • Wow
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If I'm part of the Rose Bowl commission I just try to reposition it as "we're a bowl for two best teams available". Make yourself as much of an SEC bowl as any other conference.

I could see bowls being completely disconnected from the playoff soon and the Rose Bowl would then hope for a 9 vs 10 type of game or 13 vs 15 type of game.

Maybe it just becomes a famous parade?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

PAC. IS. DEAD.
How many times now have we heard the same thing about the Big 12? Yet here we are. I don’t think it’s a certainty that the PAC is dead yet. It’s a possibility but not a certainty.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013

Just going off of what’s reported, though you could be right. The only counterpoint I could muster is that L.A. is pretty easy to travel to from the Midwest, and that maybe the logistics of sending the Maryland women’s soccer team to Eugene, OR wasn’t worth the hassle.

I’m probably wrong, but just thought I’d toss that angle out there…

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
If I'm part of the Rose Bowl commission I just try to reposition it as "we're a bowl for two best teams available". Make yourself as much of an SEC bowl as any other conference.

I could see bowls being completely disconnected from the playoff soon and the Rose Bowl would then hope for a 9 vs 10 type of game or 13 vs 15 type of game.

Maybe it just becomes a famous parade?
.......... whoooooooooooooooooooaaaaaa Nelly!!!!!!"

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
The one benefit that might have gotten a team to the Pac 12 was the LA market for recruiting. I think that is the reason the Arizona schools stayed. Now that is gone.
Right, I hadn't considered that.

If the PAC is going to try to make a go of it, I think they'd reach out to San Diego St. It checks a lot of boxes, building a new stadium that opens this year (maybe it's next year), and re-establishes a SoCal presence for the conference.

Beyond that, though, I'm really at a loss for anyone that they realistically might add. Nobody's leaving one of the other P5s for them at this point. Boise St has the football team and absolutely nothing else of value. Colorado St? Nevada, New Mexico, New Mexico St? Some Texas schools like UTEP? I think Stanford and Cal would rather give up athletics completely than associated with the likes of those.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
How many times now have we heard the same thing about the Big 12? Yet here we are. I don’t think it’s a certainty that the PAC is dead yet. It’s a possibility but not a certainty.
I think the Big 12 survived (for now) because the remaining members have no where else to go. At least 4 of the PAC 12 teams will likely have the option of going to the Big 12. So 6-8 of their teams will be gone.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think the Big 12 survived (for now) because the remaining members have no where else to go. At least 4 of the PAC 12 teams will likely have the option of going to the Big 12. So 6-8 of their teams will be gone.
I say we take 2 (say we are going to 16 while OuT is here) and then see what our options are while the rest twists a bit. Can always add teams at any time.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Heartland College Sports reports that somebody with the Big12 said there is no interest in poaching Pac 12 teams remaining. Never mind that - Yormark, make your mark by pitching a combined conference governing structure with 2 distinct leagues, the Big 12 and the remaining Pac 12 with BYU. If a couple teams bail on that idea, go after the same teams the Pac would be after to expand - probably San Diego State and Boise. End up with 2 -10 or 11 team leagues. Round robin in football in each. Playoff 1 vs 2 in each, but winners do not play each other unless they meet in CFB playoff. If TV requires, back off to 8 games in your conference with 2 or 3 crossover games. This maintains, as much as possible, the one true champion approach and existing rivalries, things other conferences don't seem to care about. Grant of Rights is negotiated for all teams at once and the base division of revenue is the same for all teams. Move the combined league office to Oklahoma City, Kansas City, or Denver. Basketball and football championships are played within each side's footprint. Something of an official alliance with bargaining leverage. Just when the Super conferences think they have buried the Big 12, again, and backed the Pac into a corner where they can pick up teams at a bargain, the Eagle Conference Alliance leaps ahead. Or something like that.

Reactions: JustBecause

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
My problem with adding Oregon is that I do not trust them whatsoever. They just seem like a school that thinks it’s better than everyone else and would screw the other schools if they had a chance (e.g. Texas).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron