Who Has the Best Pizza in Des Moines???

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Everyones list is a joke so far. I am a pizza conoseur (SP?).

Bordaneros
Scornovacas
Chucks is decent
Noah's
Also if you visit Norwalk there is a place called Villagio that is comming on really really strong. Great pizza.

Also if you like different you have to add La Pizza House in there.

Our lists look pretty close, How do you feel about Pete's in Indianola?
Where is the place in Norwalk?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Not in the DM market but I like Black Market Pizza but I tend to like the weird pizza. I wouldn't want it every week but it's not too bad once every few months.

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
Have you tried every place in town?

I find pizza snobs funny. A couple of years ago I was at place in Rome, Italy that's supposed to have the best pizza in the city. I loved it some much that is was my 2nd day in a row eating there. The whole time we were eating I had to hear some idiot from Chicago and her friend from NY talk about how the pizza in their cities were so better than this place in Rome. I nearly slapped the *****.

Here is the thing, everyone likes something different. There is no "greatest pizza" because everyone has different tastes. It's like saying a certain beer is the greatest.

BTW-In a week from today I'll be back at that pizza joint in Rome. My favorite has an egg on top.

I'm not a snob at all. I just do not think there are any places that are as fantastic. I feel like the Chicago imitation places aren't as good as the places in Chicago, and a lot of the neopolitan style gourmet places are pretty much the same.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
La Pizzaria House...I think it closed (owner retired) but it was open for 40+ years and had the best pizza.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Thanks for the heads up! I just subscribed to the RSS feed so I don't miss out on any life changing developments! ;)I'm a big fan for Flour, but if you don't work downtown, I doubt you've tried it since they are only open for lunch. I am anxious to try Gusto. Given this field, my fav four would be F & O's, Fong's, J Benijim's, and probably Chucks.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Who has your favorite pizza in Des Moines? We have set out to determine once and for all who has the best. The brackets have been set, check it out and follow along. It's going to be a fun time!

The Greater Des Moines Pizza Tourney - The official site of www.GDMPT.us

GDM Pizza Tourney (GDMPizzaTourney) on Twitter

Who are your picks????

It's a tie between Pagliai's and Fong's. Love them both. Very good friend of mine started/owns Fong's. On a chain level...I love me some Happy Joe's and Godfather's though.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Pizza in DSM is very overrated. Centro is good, but I've never left there not smelling like a wood oven. Go in there and eat, and then smell your clothes when you leave. It's disgusting.

I noted that you questioned others on another thread that called you out for being generally annoying on many of your posts. You seemed to not understand why that is. Let me try and help.

Look at everyone having some fun with this topic, including a group of individuals that set up a website/tourney on pizza in DM. Now look at your first sentence as you joined this thread.

Does that help?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Everyones list is a joke so far. I am a pizza conoseur (SP?).

Bordaneros
Scornovacas
Chucks is decent
Noah's
Also if you visit Norwalk there is a place called Villagio that is comming on really really strong. Great pizza.

Also if you like different you have to add La Pizza House in there.

Bordneros pizza is terrible. We used to get it at all our company events, and even when it is free it is terrible.

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
I noted that you questioned others on another thread that called you out for being generally annoying on many of your posts. You seemed to not understand why that is. Let me try and help.

Look at everyone having some fun with this topic, including a group of individuals that set up a website/tourney on pizza in DM. Now look at your first sentence as you joined this thread.

Does that help?

Yes, it helps... But sometimes it's fun to do bad things, like doing hood-rat things with my friends.

On a serious note, it is a cool idea. I was in a crabby mood earlier today.

That said, I'm sure cybsball is not going to let a messageboard poster ruin his fun.

Leidang

Apr 27, 2006
La Pizza House and Michael's are both closed aren't they?

I've got to go with Paul Revere's supreme. Love that pizza. I try other's but I always come back to it.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Paesano's just outside of what used to be Des Moines "Little Italy" on the south side is pretty good. Bordenero's also on the south side is good too. I guess my favorite is Celsi's Tavern.

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Anyone remember Corso's by the old Valley Stadium on Grand? That was good. How about Bambi's? The old Italian guy that ran the place was a character. I used to squirt us with a fire extinguisher.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Anyone remember Corso's by the old Valley Stadium on Grand? That was good. How about Bambi's? The old Italian guy that ran the place was a character. I used to squirt us with a fire extinguisher.

don't forget the trombone with the boxing glove everytime someone played Leroy Brown on the jukebox.That was really good pizza. I remember hearing the family did carry out of their home awhile back.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
My vote for #1 pizza is F&O's Cheese Topper -- best pizza in the DM area bar none, and I've eaten at a number of the well known pizzerias. I know F&O's is known for their pan pizza, but their Cheese Topper is so much better, and extremely filling -- one piece is all I can handle in one sitting.

RG25

Mar 16, 2010
Bordneros pizza is terrible. We used to get it at all our company events, and even when it is free it is terrible.

honestly my only guess is that you're mixing it up with another place.. Bordenaro's is bomb

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
You won't realize how much you miss Casey's taco pizza until you move away from the midwest. Is it the best??? No

Don't know if its on the list but Papa's Pizzeria in Polk City is pretty good

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
You won't realize how much you miss Casey's taco pizza until you move away from the midwest. Is it the best??? No

Don't know if its on the list but Papa's Pizzeria in Polk City is pretty good

What we do, is we eat solid tacos at a good Mexican place, then eat good pizza at the good pizza place.