Who Has the Best Pizza in Des Moines???

clone26

Jan 30, 2009
DSM
www.explorethemetro.com

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Big Tomato, J. Benjamins, Casey's, Fongs. J. Benjamins wins it for me. I love their pizza. If originality comes into play you have to tip your cap to Fongs.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
My final four would be Big Tomato, Scornos, Casey's and Fongs.
Orlando's. Fong's. F&O's, Great Plains(as I consider Ames a suburb of Des Moines).

tjh1984

Feb 11, 2009
New Orleans
You know your city has bad pizza in general when a gas station's pizza is a 3 seed....

The best pizza in Des Moines isn't even in the tournament, bagni di lucca in east village is great stuff don't know how they missed that one. Second best pizza in DSM is Chuck's, I hope they win.

The most overrated pizza in Des Moines is Fong's...I can't even eat the stuff its so bad, unless I was blacked out and someone paid for my overpriced slice of cardboard.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
You know your city has bad pizza in general when a gas station's pizza is a 3 seed....

The best pizza in Des Moines isn't even in the tournament, bagni di lucca in east village is great stuff don't know how they missed that one. Second best pizza in DSM is Chuck's, I hope they win.

The most overrated pizza in Des Moines is Fong's...I can't even eat the stuff its so bad, unless I was blacked out and someone paid for my overpriced slice of cardboard.

Bagni Di Luca was the first one out... Just missed and one of my personal favorites. Caseys may not be great Pizza, but is very popular... I don't see them lasting long when it comes down to the actual competition.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I know it's not in the greater DM area but if you're ever in M'town try the pizza at Joe's Italian Grill. It's awesome and no, I am not Joe and I don't work there.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
I love Pagliai's so I would vote for them. Centro is good but I've only been there once. Casey's isn't that great I think they'll be removed.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
I didn't see Rock Power Pizza. It is a small pizza place on SW 9th St. It has great pizza.

WhatMeWorry

Feb 4, 2010
Urbandale

I agree. Same thing with Taco's, if you had a poll a lot of people would say they like Indian Fry bread variety at Tasty Taco's. Sure they are good, just not real "tacos".

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I like Fongs a lot but I don't think it's even in the top 5 of local pizza. I like Chuck's the best. I like Bordenaro's sauce but not their crust.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Pizza isn't DSM's strong suit, but personally I'd go with Fong's, Scornavocco's, and Big Tomato.

Michael's just reopened in Beaverdale, but I'm kind of ****** at them for changing their hours every other day. We stopped by one of the first days it was open, and they told us they would be open on weekends from 1-3AM as a late night drunk food option. I went back there at 1:00 AM the next Friday/Saturday and they were clearly closed. I was really excited for a drunk food spot in Beaverdale, and then they flat out lied about it. Not a good start.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I would disagree with people saying that Des Moines doesn't have good pizza. The best part about it is that everyone has different tastes in pizza, including our judges.

It was amazing talking with Centro owner George Formaro last night, that dude is seriously pizza obsessed. He has personally tried to replicate almost every pie in the contest...

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
I call shenanigans on this tourney. You can’t have my favorite 2 places going against each other in the first round. F&O’s vs. Wig Pen. And yes they should of made the tourney to please everyone.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I see that my favorite pizza in the DM area, Sarpino's, failed to make the field of 64. Not surprising, seems like no one in Des Moines knows anything about them.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
We had to cut it at 32, Sarpino's had votes, but it took a minimum of 9 nominations to even make the field. BUT, all first round losers have a one year ban, so we have room for 16 newbies in 2012

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
Pizza in DSM is very overrated. Centro is good, but I've never left there not smelling like a wood oven. Go in there and eat, and then smell your clothes when you leave. It's disgusting.