• Brock, Montgomery, Blythe?

Votes: 55 23.7%
  • Seneca, D. Davis, Danielson

Votes: 20 8.6%

• Total voters

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
I went the other way. Giving Troy an offense where he doesn't have to run 95% of the time and the defense KNOWS its coming is almost game over enough. But then through Sage in there at QB and it's over, one of the best.

Polls like this will always have a ton of recently bias, but I thought it was obvious from the start. And I didn't even see Troy play besides on videos and replays, I didn't start school at Iowa State until 2002 so Sage was gone too.

People will lean on numbers to support decisions, but numbers have been inflated at every school over the years. The game is just different, and you play more games. That's kinda true across all sports.
I voted for Sage, Troy, Butler for these reasons too. To add maybe the best receiver at making single coverage pay to the running back that most demanded a stacked box would be just plain silly.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Sub in D Davis and Lane for Haywood and X and I’d go with that group.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I’m gonna do a defense one this week. Need to do a little research on teams to keep them even-ish.
I embrace this type of thought-experiment poll, especially during off-season.

If you’re doing more of these, cool! May I suggest something for the structure of the combos? For this type of exercise, I think it’s better if there’s no roster overlap — don’t include members who played at the same time in reality. (Examples for this one - Purdy/Montgomery; Wallace/Danielsen.)

(Just an idea -- feel free to do as you want of course :) )

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I embrace this type of thought-experiment poll, especially during off-season.

If you’re doing more of these, cool! May I suggest something for the structure of the combos? For this type of exercise, I think it’s better if there’s no roster overlap — don’t include members who played at the same time in reality. (Examples for this one - Purdy/Montgomery; Wallace/Danielsen.)

(Just an idea -- feel free to do as you want of course :) )
The way it was shaking out, I was not able to put anyone with Brock that he didn’t play with and I didn’t feel right leaving David Montgomery off this. Seneca and Lane was just an oversight. For some reason I had him pegged in my mind as being on the Sage teams

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The way it was shaking out, I was not able to put anyone with Brock that he didn’t play with and I didn’t feel right leaving David Montgomery off this. Seneca and Lane was just an oversight. For some reason I had him pegged in my mind as being on the Sage teams
It's cool, makes sense. Hope I didn't come off as too critical. I think you were aiming for fairly recent combinations so the list would be limited (in context of successful pieces at those 3 positions).

Reactions: JM4CY

Cyburbbalz

Dec 14, 2019
T.D. ALL DAY with Hakeem as deep threat and Sage running play action makes for an easy answer.

merx

Sep 6, 2011
Kalispell, MT
I would have liked to see Lane replaced with Tracy Henderson.

Reactions: Aclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It’s cool we have multiple recent players who challenge for best rb, best wr and best qb ever.

Help Support Us

Become a patron