Which number one seed do you want to face the most?

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
Or, what potential number 1 seed do we best match up against?

Sewer-Cuse?
Flori-Duh?
Wichita St?
Arizona?

I would think most of us would want a chance to take on WSU, but would we want that knowing KU would be the number 2 seed in the region?

Arizona has some injuries, but likely be played well away from Ames.

Sewer-Cuse plays that zone and plays a slow down type game, maybe polar opposite of how ISU likes to play, but we have proven we can win pretty much in any style of game.

Flori-Duh seems deep and athletic, but will need to run up against a blue blood at some point unless a region blows up entirely.

Rank them in order you would like to play keeping in mind KU is in WSU region and knowing if you want to play Arizona or Sewer-Cuse we would be placed in the West or East Regions, while the South and Midwest Regions (Sweet 16 and Elite 8 rounds) are played in Memphis and Indy closer to Ames:

1) Flori-Duh (played in Memphis)
2) WSU even with KU (rather take my chances with Flori-Duh, than KU)
3) Sewer-Cuse (too far away)
4) Arizona (played in CA, too far away)

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Anyone but Florida. I'd love to see a matchup between Melvin Ejim and Aaron Gordon of Arizona. That would be a fun game.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
WSU or Arizona will be the weakest 1-seeds out of that scenario, IMO

Spam

May 21, 2008
kansas is thee best team in the country....1 seed or not.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If WSU is a 1 seed, then them.

If we ran into them itd very likely be the first time they actually played a team that could actually challenge them. We've got a lot more experience in those types of hard-fought games vs talented teams and that could give us a big edge.

None are without weaknesses though. Syracuse probably should have lost a couple more by now, as should florida (nearly losing to an auburn team we absolutely destroyed)

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
AZ struggling since they lost their big guy.

Cuse, struggle to score and have had played an easy schedule

Florida.....same as cuse, but much more physical and probably would crush us on the boards.

Wsu.......I think they have the most complete team. Just don't know how they are going to handle stepped up competition

That being said, not scared of any of them as I would prefer to avoid seeing Kansas again over any of the #1's

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
kansas is thee best team in the country....1 seed or not.

They are a worse match up for us than any of those 1 seeds. That's for sure. But of those teams listed FLA is the team I'd least like to face. The rest are a push.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Wichita state. I think they're probably about as good as we are, but they play in a **** conference.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
They are a worse match up for us than any of those 1 seeds. That's for sure. But of those teams listed FLA is the team I'd least like to face. The rest are a push.

Agree with this. Florida would be a hard matchup. I would not feel nervous about playing any of the other three.

And agree with others that we have seen we can hang with KU (when we shoot OK), and KU is likely a better team (at this point) than any of the projected #1 seeds.

** Edit - If Virginia beats Syracuse this weekend, and KU knocks off OSU in Stillwater, I think KU will take Cuse's place on #1 line.

Last edited:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
AZ or WSU. AZ lost a key player and WSU is good, but we would be the best team they had played since St Louis at least in November/December, and maybe even all season.

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
Tough call, but I think holes in each one. Syracuse and Florida play the best D, but struggle often on the O end. Arizona can be better offensively although at times struggle from the perimeter. Yet they probably play the worst D. (And notoriously teams coming out of PAC 10 under-perform) Wichita State plays the most consistently both Offense and Defense...but hard to gauge them on who they have played.

I guess I'll take Arizona...but not scared of any of them.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Syracuse. They aren't very good offensively and Fred has shown he can coach dissection of zone defenses.

Tengel7

Dec 3, 2013
Cedar Falls
i would hate to see us play Wichita.. they can really play. They arent in the most challenging conference, but there are a few teams that have put up a good fight against them.. Uni, indiana state, and Missouri state.. they have escaped those games.. one big fear is their perimeter shooting. lots of weapons. we are not the best at defending the three which would be a factor in that game.. that being said-- if we had to play anyone, it would have to be Zona

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I've seen Florida struggle to score against lesser competition, so I'm not sold on their prowess for some reason. I may have just caught some of their worst games. I know they are really tough defensively, but I don't see any reason to think that Fred can't put up 70 against anyone this year.

I haven't seen a lot of AZ or Syracuse this year, but AZ has looked pretty human for long stretches at a time when I have seen them. Syracuse is athletic and plays that zone to perfection. It would be a fun chess match for Fred, especially since he hasn't really ever had to game plan for a team like them.

WSU has played the most consistently, they have a lot of experience, and they haven't lost. I know their competition level is weak, but they have looked in control of evey game I have seen them play. I'm tempted to give the nod to Syracuse, but it's pretty hard to pick against the team that hasn't lost. ("but they're the Boise St. of basketball" .....I know, I know....they're still a good team)

When all is said and done, I'd rather face any of them in the tourney before KU. I just see us matching up pretty well with nearly everyone but the @$%# Jayhawks. Duke is also a team I don't want to face early. Despite their tourney failures, they seem to be clicking lately and coach K is coach K.

Last edited:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I've seen Florida struggle to score against lesser competition, so I'm not sold on their prowess for some reason. I may have just caught some of their worst games. I know they are really tough defensively, but I don't see any reason to think that Fred can't put up 70 against anyone this year.

I haven't seen a lot of AZ or Syracuse this year, but AZ has looked pretty human for long stretches at a time when I have seen them. Syracuse is athletic and plays that zone to perfection. It would be a fun chess match for Fred, especially since he hasn't really ever had to game plan for a team like them.

WSU has played the most consistently, they have a lot of experience, and they haven't lost. I know their competition level is weak, but they have looked in control of evey game I have seen them play. I'm tempted to give the nod to Syracuse, but it's pretty hard to pick against the team that hasn't lost. ("but they're the Boise St. of basketball" .....I know, I know....they're still a good team)

When all is said and done, I'd rather face any of them in the tourney before KU. I just see us matching up pretty well with nearly everyone but the @$%# Jayhawks. Duke is also a team I don't want to face early. Despite their tourney failures, they seem to be clicking lately and coach K is coach K.

My thought is, who knows how they will respond if they don't control the game? Nobody they have played since SLU could punch them in the mouth.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
WSU is pry the best defensive team out of the bunch. They shut teams down last season in the tourney. The still play that kind of defense, they always hang there hat on that. They may have played a soft schedule but they aren't a soft team. I'm not saying they are a great team, just saying they are a program built on defense.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I would actually love to see a Kansas/Wichita State match up in the tourney.

This would be great on so many levels.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
We will play Kansas again this season and we will win. It's just my prediction but I'm puttin my name on it right now.

I hope you're right. We're on a 5 game losing streak with them and at this point, it has to be in our heads a little (and Fred's). For all the strides we've made, Fred is 1-8 versus them and we're 1-18 versus them since Wayne's 04/05 team beat them in Lawrence.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron