Which Manhattan Meltdown was worse? 2015 or 2017?

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I was there for that and had forgotten about that game. The agony!

Arrowhead 2 featured Arob running WIDE open down the middle of the field for either a huge gain late or even a TD. Arnaud missed him with an overthrow. I had planned to check out the stadium renovation after the game with the Chiefs HOF wing. However I told wife, **** this place lets go, and left. Haven't been back to Arrowhead since the 09/10 trips. #HouseOfHorrors

Arrowhead 1 featured Arob going for 50 rushing yards in the first qtr, but pulled a groin and had to sit the rest of the way. That was a big blow that day.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I wasn't as mad about 2015 as most guys on here. I could almost see why he didn't kneel there. But it was a sign of things to come.

I'm not as mad about 2017 as most guys either. There was some really really bad officiating, but a little better play calling or a little bit of defense in the last 2 minutes and we win.

I also think this is a sign of things to come, but hopefully in a good way. Better recruits, better coaching, better everything. :)

It's entirely possible that I'm already at Stage #5 of grief...acceptance

Pretty much this although 2017 stung more.

Not quite meltdown level, but the questionable play calling and bad defense, which ISU may have needed even if the obvious PI situation didn't even happen and it just was a normal incomplete pass, were contributors.

The last drive was bad spacing, bad tackling, and the last play of the game was bad assignment football by a team that has been strong in that all season.

With the precarious score all game long, it was every bit of classic ISU football as it gets. First time it really happened all season but man that sucked.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Arrowhead 2 featured Arob running WIDE open down the middle of the field for either a huge gain late or even a TD. Arnaud missed him with an overthrow. I had planned to check out the stadium renovation after the game with the Chiefs HOF wing. However I told wife, **** this place lets go, and left. Haven't been back to Arrowhead since the 09/10 trips. #HouseOfHorrors

Arrowhead 1 featured Arob going for 50 rushing yards in the first qtr, but pulled a groin and had to sit the rest of the way. That was a big blow that day.

Was one of those games the one when we scored a TD late, and then missed the extra point?

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Three of the last four have been very rough.

Home. Beautiful day. ISU leads entire game.
ISU stops a 2 pt try in fourth quarter to leave score at 28-26
ISU has the ball at our own 46, only 3:16 left, 3rd and 1. Pick up first down and we might salt it.
Nope. Stuffed for loss.
We punt and let Jake Waters drive 80 yards in less than a minute, including huge QB runs.

ISU stops KSU on two consecutive drives by forcing failed 4th down conversions.
91 seconds.
Rhoads goes full moron and does not kneel on ball.

View attachment 51969

Skeletor simply has our number.

Also worth noting in that 2014 game, ISU was up 28-13 and looked like they were going to have that lead heading into the half until Anthony Lazard hit a KSU player on the sideline.

KSU got 15 yards and went down to score right before half.

And of course we went on to score zero points in the second half, which was the exact same thing we did it 2015.

28 points (1st half) to 0 points (2nd half) in 2014
35 points to 0 points in 2015

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I don't know why, but this one didn't hurt. I was very, very disappointed, but not hurt. We were already going to a Bowl game anyway, and we've already had more than our share of great victories this season. I guess I also have come to expect to lose to old man Snyder. Older than sin, yet still beats us like a bad habit.

Two years ago was most definitely far worse. Ahead with 120 seconds to go, our head coach jumping up and down like a crazy man on the sideline. Then we lose.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
2015 was unbelievable, but there was more on the line in the 2017 game and for me it just hurt a lot more. Oh, add extreme anger to that too. Yep, a whole lot of hurt and anger. So year 2017 is worse for me.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I don't know why, but this one didn't hurt. I was very, very disappointed, but not hurt. We were already going to a Bowl game anyway, and we've already had more than our share of great victories this season. I guess I also have come to expect to lose to old man Snyder. Older than sin, yet still beats us like a bad habit.

Two years ago was most definitely far worse. Ahead with 120 seconds to go, our head coach jumping up and down like a crazy man on the sideline. Then we lose.

so it doesn't bother you that we could have an 8-4 record and a top 25 ranking had we won? Plus a better season record than our idiot rivals to the east?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I would argue this one was more painful... much more painful. The last football loss that stuck with me this long was 2005 Nebraska. I don't know why, but this one really hurt. Probably because I haven't cared as much as I did then.

I laughed after the 2015 loss. That was a mercy killing. Ironically Lannings most impactful play of his career may be the fumble that ushered in the Campbell era.

• Agree
Reactions: swessball

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Home. Beautiful day. ISU leads entire game.
ISU stops a 2 pt try in fourth quarter to leave score at 28-26
ISU has the ball at our own 46, only 3:16 left, 3rd and 1. Pick up first down and we might salt it.
Nope. Stuffed for loss.
We punt and let Jake Waters drive 80 yards in less than a minute, including huge QB runs.

OMG, one of those "seems impossible to blow it" games.

.... I guess within parameters of the OP title, we shouldn't include that one, since it wasn't at KSU. But past 20-plus years are strewn with all kinds of sorrow vs. Kansas State.

2004 game was fantastic, though. :)