Which Big 12 contender has the easiest remaining schedule?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Hield was a 4 star recruit. He wasn't a McDonald's All American but he wasn't a mediocre recruit either
You're right. Didn't realize that they still had four stars all the way down into the 80's, my bad. http://sports.yahoo.com/usf/basketball/recruiting/player-Buddy-Hield-119977. But when you look at his list of scholly offers (OU, Boston College, Colorado, DePaul, Memphis, Miami, Mizzou, Nebraska, Oregon St., A&M, Utah & Western Kentucky) yeah, he was a mediocre recruit that no one saw developing into this.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
The fact that people are arguing that a Big 12 Regular Season Championship is less of a big deal than the tournament championship is mind blowing. Like, do you hear yourself? Think. Just think about it.

There are also "basketball fans" in this thread that don't know there is a regular season trophy given out. Things are fading fast in here....

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Saw this on a KU message board and gives the Conference %'s per Ken Palm. No suprise that OU is the heavy favorite. Alot can happen and there'll be some unexpected game results but it is a good snapshot of where the league stands going into Feb.
http://cjonline.com/blog-post/jesse-newell/2016-01-26/kus-odds-win-big-12-not-good

Advanced stats expert Ken Pomeroy to run the numbers Tuesday morning. Here is the likelihood that each Big 12 team wins or shares the conference title, based on 10,000 simulations.
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2010.34.58%20AM.png

Um...how does this work? I didn't know that you could end up with 132% total. I guess that's why Kenpom's math is so respected.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I'd rather win the regular season and bow out of conference tourney in the first round. Why do mid-majors continuously upset power-5 schools? Part of the equations is b/c their conference tourneys end a week earlier and their guys get 8-10 days to rest, polish, and prepare. Power-5 schools that go deep in their tourney play 3 or even 4 games in a row, then turn around and play in the NCAA tourney about 5 days later.
It's the ten weeks of battling tough teams that are tougher than a three day run in a conference tourney. Guys are worn out, physically and mentally drained and sometimes let up when they see an opponent that they view as easier than what they have been battling against for the 2+ months prior. The little guys see it as the chance of their life. The big guys see it as just another game in the grind sometimes.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Um...how does this work? I didn't know that you could end up with 132% total. I guess that's why Kenpom's math is so respected.
Win/share. Multiple teams can finish at the top, hence more than 100% total.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
West Virginia is overvalued. They are KenPom darlings with the strength of their defense, but KP doesn't account for specific matchups. Iowa State has a solid chance to go 2-0 against WVU this year.

With that said I think KU having a 10% chance of continuing the streak is about right. That team is not as good as what I have gotten used to seeing. Ellis is good; otherwise their big play is bad (I expected that) - but their guard play is mediocre (I didn't expect that).

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Also nothing is funnier than seeing KU fans frantically discount the value of a conference

tournament every year. When the streak ends and KU then wins a couple titles of their own in KC, that tune will suddenly change. :rolleyes:

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Also nothing is funnier than seeing KU fans frantically discount the value of a conference tournament every year. When the streak ends and KU then wins a couple titles of their own in KC, that tune will suddenly change. :rolleyes:
No one has more Big 12 tourney titles than KU but that doesn't change where they rank when compared to the other portions of the season. Fun to see the team win games. Good for the team to have success against good teams entering the tourney. Fun to go in person when they win. none of that makes it a more important event.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
No one has more Big 12 tourney titles than KU but that doesn't change where they rank when compared to the other portions of the season. Fun to see the team win games. Good for the team to have success against good teams entering the tourney. Fun to go in person when they win. none of that makes it a more important event.

Nice opinion. I disagree. No one talks down the Big 12 Tournament more than KU fans, and it's no surprise why.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
You don't understand why winning a ten week round robin against 9 different teams of every size, shape and style on home courts and true road venues is more impressive and a bigger deal to coaches and players than a weekend tourney at a neutral site where you only play three games? Getting the auto bid from winning the conference tourney is only a big deal when you are in a one bid league. If Iowa State lost their first game in the Big 12 tourney this year they would still be 100% guaranteed to go to the ncaa tourney. AT BEST, a Big 12 tourney title earns then one additional seed in the tourney. And yes, there is a regular season trophy although I don't blame you for not knowing that.
Well, playing eighteen games and not winning the group is no longer any fun after eleven years. Too bad your air will be gone when OU is done.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It's the ten weeks of battling tough teams that are tougher than a three day run in a conference tourney. Guys are worn out, physically and mentally drained and sometimes let up when they see an opponent that they view as easier than what they have been battling against for the 2+ months prior. The little guys see it as the chance of their life. The big guys see it as just another game in the grind sometimes.
Times have changed. Conferences are only conferences. Tournaments are much more exciting.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Well, playing eighteen games and not winning the group is no longer any fun after eleven years. Too bad your air will be gone when OU is done.
If OU wins the Big 12 outright then hats off to 'em. They have a great team and will have earned it. Still lots of games to go in what has already been a historically crazy season. It ain't over yet.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If OU wins the Big 12 outright then hats off to 'em. They have a great team and will have earned it. Still lots of games to go in what has already been a historically crazy season. It ain't over yet.

What are your rankings now? OU first and then who?