Where Will ISU End Up if the Big 12 Implodes?

Where Will ISU End Up If the Big 12 Implodes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You are completely missing the recruiting angle on this. This is about being able to recruit better for the big 10 also. You don't expand your conference recruiting power by adding ISU. If you are a school like Ohio State you want your games on a new market like Atlanta(GA Tech) more than Des Moines. It's just as much about recruiting as it is tv.

This is exactly the opposite of how tOSU thinks about this. tOSU is already recruiting in Atlanta, and California, and Texas and wherever the **** they want to recruit. That would just open it up more for the rest of the schools in the conference and lessen tOSU’s giant advantage in this department.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Trying this one more time... OU and Texas are going to want the Big 12 to disband so they can get out of their contractual obligations. How many Big 12 teams would need to vote to disband? Would the SEC consider taking 4 Big 12 schools

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
If I'm Ohio State and hypothetically in the same conference as Georgia Tech I can now recruit Georgia easier. It's simple. Part of the reason Rutgers was added was to shore up New Jersey recruits for schools like Penn State. We seemed to get this when we were talking about the Big 12 expanding all the times prior to this. All I ever heard was how if we added UCF or USF we'd be able to recruit in Florida. Same principle.

How much of a difference does a single school in a state matter to a recruit in the super conference era? So the B1G adds Georgia Tech and now Ohio State can tell a recruit in Atlanta that they will have a chance to play 1 game in their home state over the course of 4 years?

And Rutgers was all about TV sets, not recruiting footprint. The B1G was already the biggest college football presence in the northeast. Penn State and Ohio State weren't losing out on key recruits to AAC/Big East schools before Rutgers was added, and they aren't struggling to recruit that region now either.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
This is exactly the opposite of how tOSU thinks about this. tOSU is already recruiting in Atlanta, and California, and Texas and wherever the **** they want to recruit. That would just open it up more for the rest of the schools in the conference.
It improves it though. Even the Texas people say being in the SEC is a way for them to recruit the SEC states better. This isn't something I'm just dreaming up.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Trying this one more time... OU and Texas are going to want the Big 12 to disband so they can get out of their contractual obligations. How many Big 12 teams would need to vote to disband? Would the SEC consider taking 4 Big 12 schools
No to the SEC question. They got who they wanted.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
It improves it though. Even the Texas people say being in the SEC is a way for them to recruit the SEC states better. This isn't something I'm just dreaming up.

The biggest recruiting problem Texas has is Texas. They could field a perennial national title contender recruiting entirely within their own state. Inability to grab a few more Florida players isn't an issue. They have made some poor hiring decisions and seem to have real cultural issues within the program. UT is a great hire away from being Bama or Clemson. Just like Bama is a crappy hire away from playing bowl games in Shreveport.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Those contracts are a joke when people have the money to pay lawsuits. We hear all the time how this or that cant happen because of contracts. When money and powerful people with leverage are involved contracts are worthless.

Call me crazy, but I’d imagine the GORs are pretty solid or this would have have happened sooner with UT. They are just at a point now where the buyout is affordable. If anyone leaves the ACC, the buyout is 15 years worth of TV, nobody has that just sitting around, even Texas. If the ACC were under 5 years left, it might be possible.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
The biggest recruiting problem Texas has is Texas. They could field a perennial national title contender recruiting entirely within their own state. Inability to grab a few more Florida players isn't an issue. They have made some poor hiring decisions and seem to have real cultural issues within the program. UT is a great hire away from being Bama or Clemson. Just like Bama is a crappy hire away from playing bowl games in Shreveport.
I agree with all of that. They still want to be able to tell recruits they are in the SEC. They are never satisfied. The Texas guy on Finebaum the other day said they think this is going to help them with players in Florida and Georgia. It's like a giant **** measuring contest.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
Fans wouldn't, but the people that actually vote would fall in line and do what the board of regents and politicians tell them to do, which is vote yes.
This is right on. People are putting way too much stock into what people are posting on message boards. Look at what the local media markets are saying! That shows what the powers that be are thinking.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
Perspective from Columbus OH:

"In my opinion, Iowa State is a perfect fit for the Big Ten. They sit squarely in the middle of the conference’s West division and they already have a standing rivalry with Iowa. They could easily develop one with Minnesota, Wisconsin, and rekindle pleasantries with former Big XII member Nebraska.

The Cyclones also have a head coach similar to Ryan Day. Matt Campbell is a young, up-and-coming coach who has built a quality program in a place I thought I’d never see. With a twelve-team playoff coming, Iowa State would give the Big Ten a legitimate yearly contender."

Ohio State Football: Which schools should Big Ten pursue for expansion? (scarletandgame.com)

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Adding Iowa State or Kansas does nothing to prevent the SEC from trying to poach Ohio State, Penn State or Michigan in the future. They would also be net-negative cash flow additions - the current member schools would be dividing the cash 16 ways instead of 14, and neither Kansas nor Iowa State is going to bring in enough additional money to justify that decision.

If the Big Ten isn’t able to add schools from the PAC-12 or the ACC, I guess I don’t understand why so many here think that they would be willing to add schools that do not benefit the conference financially.
Why are you here? We have a board reserved for Trolls like you. Go there or leave all together. Are you and your tavern buddies that threatened?
My god ISU lives in you guys heads rent free, you are so threatened by us its really pathetic.