Where Will ISU End Up if the Big 12 Implodes?

Where Will ISU End Up If the Big 12 Implodes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
If that is what you believe, you are misconstruing the comments. The point about the streaming arguments is that market size is no longer the sole determining factor and will be less so in the future.
Market size is absolutely a factor because of recruiting. You are adding way more potential talent to your recruiting footprint by expanding to larger markets. How do you keep up when the SEC controls 80% of the high school talent in America. You answer that by adding teams in places like Idaho and Iowa?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Do you think TCU could get along with the super liberal Pac-12 institutions? I guess I'm not sure how much of a hard-line religious school TCU is.
In the past the Pac 12 has been reluctant to take religious based schools into their league, that might change this time for a school like TCU, it might not. They will never take BYU and their rules about playing games on Sunday, and with Baylor's past history, I would think they would be a hard "no" also.

Little hint the academics at Boise St. are horrible, their ranking was 289-389, JC level, hell they make WV ranking look good. No way the liberal educated PAC 12 takes that school on.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Market size is absolutely be a factor because of recruiting. You are adding way more potential talent to your recruiting footprint by expanding to larger markets. How do you keep up when the SEC controls 80% of the high school talent in America. You answer that by adding teams in places like Idaho and Iowa?
I'm pretty sure each college is allowed to recruit outside their own state.... so market size is incorrect. Market size helps with advertising and income. Recruiting is independent of that

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Those contracts are a joke when people have the money to pay lawsuits. We hear all the time how this or that cant happen because of contracts. When money and powerful people with leverage are involved contracts are worthless.

So UNC is going to pay $400-$500
million to break their grant of rights 16 years before it expires. Sure it can be broken but even under the scenario of Texas/OU it will end costing them between $80-$110 million a piece for breaking their contact.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I'm pretty sure each college is allowed to recruit outside their own state.... so market size is incorrect. Market size helps with advertising and income. Recruiting is independent of that
If I'm Ohio State and hypothetically in the same conference as Georgia Tech I can now recruit Georgia easier. It's simple. Part of the reason Rutgers was added was to shore up New Jersey recruits for schools like Penn State. We seemed to get this when we were talking about the Big 12 expanding all the times prior to this. All I ever heard was how if we added UCF or USF we'd be able to recruit in Florida. Same principle.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
You just don't add anyone if it doesn't bring money to the league. Anyone who doesn't bring in money is just another mouth to feed.
Why was the Longhorn network a big failure? You need good rivalries and passionate fans to bring in viewers. That's why the Iowa vs Iowa State game is often nationally televised. I would think Nebraska and Minnesota are pulling hard for ISU to join the Big 10. They don't need to be playing Rutgers or MD anymore.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
Do you think TCU could get along with the super liberal Pac-12 institutions? I guess I'm not sure how much of a hard-line religious school TCU is.

They are pretty much secular these days. They even cringe when someone calls them Texas Christian and prefer just TCU.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
You don't know crap. You insinuate it is either North Carolina or Iowa State. No possible way they could be looking at both. That is not the case whatsoever. For all we know maybe the Big Ten is going to try to grab as many AAU schools as they possibly can and dominate the northern market. Again, you know ZERO. No one does.

Why not go out and try to grab North Carolina, Virginia, Pitt, Duke, Iowa State, Kansas, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Cal, USC, Stanford, UCLA, Utah and oh Notre Dame when they are forced to join a conference. If not all as many as possible.

I agree grabbing only Iowa State and Kansas may not be viewed as a legit response to the SEC grabbing OU and Texas but if you are the Big Ten you sure as **** better start somewhere! Does the Big Ten want to be the conference to go out and monopolize the northern market or do you want to sit tight and let the ACC or Pac 12 or for all we know let the SEC continue to pluck all the major programs?

Adding Iowa State or Kansas does nothing to prevent the SEC from trying to poach Ohio State, Penn State or Michigan in the future. They would also be net-negative cash flow additions - the current member schools would be dividing the cash 16 ways instead of 14, and neither Kansas nor Iowa State is going to bring in enough additional money to justify that decision.

If the Big Ten isn’t able to add schools from the PAC-12 or the ACC, I guess I don’t understand why so many here think that they would be willing to add schools that do not benefit the conference financially.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Market size is absolutely a factor because of recruiting. You are adding way more potential talent to your recruiting footprint by expanding to larger markets. How do you keep up when the SEC controls 80% of the high school talent in America. You answer that by adding teams in places like Idaho and Iowa?

Maybe the Big 10 will bring in Georgia State and Georgia Southern along with Troy. All very fertile recruiting areas and major markets. Plus no long term buy outs.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Why was the Longhorn network a big failure? You need good rivalries and passionate fans to bring in viewers. That's why the Iowa vs Iowa State game is often nationally televised. I would think Nebraska and Minnesota are pulling hard for ISU to join the Big 10. They don't need to be playing Rutgers or MD anymore.
They aren't. Go to a Big 10 message board. Maybe 10% want Iowa State. They want more fertile recruiting areas.

• Dumb
  • Winner
Reactions: s_ford and 2speedy1

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
I live in the heart of Big 10 country and the media coverage I've been seeing is positive for ISU joining the B1G. Unlike when the Big 12 imploded a decade ago, this time around people seem to think it makes a lot of sense to add ISU. They might not like the idea in Iowa City, but in Ann Arbor, East Lansing and Happy Valley, they seem to think that Iowa State would be a logical addition.

The difficulty for ISU would be the financial implications if ISU leaves and the Big 12 persists in some form. They will owe a lot of money to the conference and would have a lot more trouble covering it than Texas.

alenz95

Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames
The only people who seem to think this is about streaming and not larger markets and reach out is Iowa State fans. I've seen 40 fan message boards, and listened to 50 different media yet only Iowa State fans seem to think it's about streaming. We dont even have that big of a fan base. Hell NDSU probably gets more streamers than Illinois so why aren't they going to the Big 10

How do you have time for all that? It would be remarkable considering how much time you’ve spent here over the last few days alone.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
These Hok fans are really butthurt over the possibility of ISU crashing the party.

When you are a hok fan, you are constantly looking for the next thing to be butt hurt about. You want to always have a backup and a backup to the backup on deck as well. You need to look to tearing down others and finding misery in others because you definitely don't want to have to look internally to hokdom for things to embrace.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Good point - I'll watch Utah vs BYU - because you can see they hate each other.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
They aren't. Go to a Big 10 message board. Maybe 10% want Iowa State. They want more fertile recruiting areas.
How does ISU get so many recruits from Florida? Games are easy enough to watch from any device. Distance doesn't matter as much to recruits. Hopefully the Big 10 decision makers are smart enough to realize that rivalries matter more than getting a school with no natural ties to the other schools.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
How does ISU get so many recruits from Florida? Games are easy enough to watch from any device. Distance doesn't matter as much to recruits. Hopefully the Big 10 decision makers are smart enough to realize that rivalries matter more than getting a school with no natural ties to the other schools.
How does the Iowa-Iowa State rivalry help Ohio State recruit better players? Even Texas wants a bigger recruiting advantage than they have now. None of the power brokers give a **** about tradition.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
When you are a hok fan, you are constantly looking for the next thing to be butt hurt about. You want to always have a backup and a backup to the backup on deck as well. You need to look to tearing down others and finding misery in others because you definitely don't want to have to look internally to hokdom for things to embrace.

IFY9uX8.gif