Where Will ISU End Up if the Big 12 Implodes?

Where Will ISU End Up If the Big 12 Implodes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I know it makes you feel better to think Gene Smith gives a **** about ISU because he was the AD here 20 years ago but at the end of the day he doesn't. That's not his job. He was also the AD at Arizona State after he left ISU. How much has he helped ASU?

That’s not how the upper echelons of business administration operates. Especially in the Education sphere. Connections are your life, and they have to be real.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
That’s not how the upper echelons of business administration operates. Especially in the Education sphere. Connections are your life, and they have to be real.
This is true but imagine him telling Ohio State boosters he added Iowa State because he has old friends there. That would go over like a bag of ****.

• Dumb
Reactions: 2speedy1

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This is true but imagine him telling Ohio State boosters he added Iowa State because he has old friends there.

Do you think that tOSU fans don’t trust Gene? You should see this place, it’s like tOSU campus is NYC to ISU being Des Moines. 75% athletics new buildings. New football player facilities, dedicated indoor tennis, wrestling,volleyball, women’s hockey…all have their own arenas and player accommodations. And the things they just built three years ago are getting renovated already. National titles, one of the biggest revenue AD’s in the country. If Gene thinks it’s okay then tOSU alumni and fans think it’s okay.

Edit: also football recruiting. People are ******* nuts over the football recruiting here. tOSU is rolling like never before in recruiting. That’s what a **** ton of people care about, and they give credit all the way to the top.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 2speedy1 and Rods79

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
I‘m not sure. If the pac is going to take a religious school, they’d likely prefer TCU over Baylor. BYU would bring more money, but that seems like more of a mismatch

I suspect the Pac 12's weird prohibition against religious schools was just a ploy to keep BYU out of the conference back in the day.

With TCU, the Pac 12 may have their come-to-Jesus moment when presented with the opportunity to snag a quality Power 5 program in the Texas/OU's back yard.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I suspect the Pac 12's weird prohibition against religious schools was just a ploy to keep BYU out of the conference back in the day.

With TCU, the Pac 12 may have their come-to-Jesus moment when presented with the opportunity to snag a quality Power 5 program in the Texas/OU's back yard.

CA state schools (UCLA, Cal in the Pac 12) can not currently travel to TX for sports. Unless TX changes their laws I don’t see that changing.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
If I'm Ohio State and hypothetically in the same conference as Georgia Tech I can now recruit Georgia easier. It's simple. Part of the reason Rutgers was added was to shore up New Jersey recruits for schools like Penn State. We seemed to get this when we were talking about the Big 12 expanding all the times prior to this. All I ever heard was how if we added UCF or USF we'd be able to recruit in Florida. Same principle.

I get the recruiting angle. But, out of the eight Big 12 orphans, do any push the recruiting needle for the B1G? Probably not, but there other, compelling reasons for the B1G to consider adopting a few orphans.

• Optimistic
Reactions: deadeyededric

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
It would make a hell of a lot more sense than adding KU and ISU. If your in the Big 10 your answer the SEC taking OU and UT is adding ISU and Kansas? Take that!

So because the Big Ten isnt immediately able to top the OU and Texas move that took everyone by surprise they should just sit on their ass and do nothing?? God forbid the SEC mock the Big Tens next move/s.

Thank God you weren't calling the shots when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. You would have sat in a corner and cried like a freaking girl. Well we cant counter bigger than that right now so lets just freaking quit. No we fought and clawed and won smaller battles until we eventually ended it with the atomic bomb and won the war.

The Big Ten may have to scratch and claw and win a lot of smaller battles to keep pace and eventually be able to put themselves in a position to be the superior conference and win the war.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I haven’t read the whole thread so maybe this has been brought up already . With all the talk of KU to B1G I am wondering how they would handle the leagues requirement to have a wrestling team .

Is wrestling truly required?

If anyone wants to shed light/refute this post, feel free -- this is quick research and only for discussion/inquiry. I want to know specifics, too.

This is from 2016-17, so grain-of-salt -- a wrestling requirement might have been added since then.

Big Ten Conference Handbook

(Page 34 of the PDF) 3.1.1 Eligibility Requirements. To be eligible for membership, a university must sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, that includes a minimum of (a) seven varsity intercollegiate sports, including at least two team sports, involving all-male teams, and (b) eight varsity intercollegiate sports, including at least two team sports, involving all-female teams.

Based on #s alone ISU might have to add two male sports to make the cut. (Not sure what sports KU has already — maybe wrestling would be a must-have to qualify, but only because of numbers, not sport-specific).

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Lol if you think the addition of Maryland and Rutgers meant more money for Ohio State and Michigan. The Big Ten was trying to increase their footprint.

So because the Big Ten is immediately able to top the OU and Texas move that took everyone by surprise they should jist sit on their ass and do nothing?? God forbid the SEC mock the Big Tens next move/s.

Thank God you weren't calling the shots when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. You would have sat in a corner and cried like a freaking girl. Well we cant counter bigger than that right now so lets just freaking quit. We fought and clawed and won smaller battles until we eventually ended it with the atomic bomb.

The Big Ten may have to scratch and claw and win a lot of smaller battles to keep pace and eventually be able to put themselves in a position to be the superior conference.
At the very least Rutgers allowed the big 10 to completely own the NY and NJ recruiting grounds which was part of the plan. It's easier for Big 10 schools to get players from there.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I know it makes you feel better to think Gene Smith gives a **** about ISU because he was the AD here 20 years ago but at the end of the day he doesn't. That's not his job. He was also the AD at Arizona State after he left ISU. How much has he helped ASU?
It would help ASU if they were trying to get into the B1G, otherwise it doesnt. Its another connection at another school with a lot of power in the B1G. That is way more of an aspect then some random fans ideas.
A lot of times it is who you know and how those connections can help sway the deal. I never said it was the deciding factor, but it is more than important than a made up number you pulled out of your $%# about what fans think.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017

If anyone wants to shed light/refute this post, feel free -- this is quick research and only for discussion/inquiry. I want to know specifics, too.

This is from 2016-17, so grain-of-salt -- a wrestling requirement might have been added since then.

(Page 34 of the PDF) 3.1.1 Eligibility Requirements. To be eligible for membership, a university must sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, that includes a minimum of (a) seven varsity intercollegiate sports, including at least two team sports, involving all-male teams, and (b) eight varsity intercollegiate sports, including at least two team sports, involving all-female teams.

Based on #s alone ISU might have to add two male sports to make the cut. (Not sure what sports KU has already — maybe wrestling would be a must-have to qualify, but only because of numbers, not sport-specific).
I posted that in a reply earlier - 16 sports 7 male not a requirement- I had just always been told that and all teams have wrestling

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Where are you getting your numbers from? Was there a poll somewhere? Do you know 100% of tOSU fans and have taken your own poll? You seem to love throwing out random numbers with no links to where they come from.

I know a few die hard tOSU fans, one who played on the team from 2001 to 2005. They’ve always been pretty respectful of ISU. I haven’t personally asked any of them about this, but I wouldn’t think they’d be against us. I know they have rooted for ISU in the past and sent me “Go Cyclones” texts before all of the big games last year. Does that mean I can say 100% of tOSU fans are on board?
I mean I have seen a lot of posts by OSU fans on Reddit in support of adding ISU, so hmm, maybe I should make up some numbers too, saying its 80% in support. Jeez

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Iowa State already has 7 Mens sports. 11 womens, 18 total, we are fine as we sit right now.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
At the very least Rutgers allowed the big 10 to completely own the NY and NJ recruiting grounds which was part of the plan. It's easier for Big 10 schools to get players from there.

You are right that is the very least that move did. Maybe the Big Ten now wants to create more geographic rivalries, expand their footprint, add more AAU members, etc...

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
SEC will take 4 big 12 teams to help the conference dissolve thereby making it much cleaner for UT and OU to move on. So My guess is that 2 of 3 from OSU, ISU, and WVU end up in the SEC along with UT and OU.
I doubt they take 4, but if they do Iowa State will not be one to go to the SEC, my guess if they go with 4, which I doubt they do from the Big 12 it will be Osu, and Wvu. They fit and will help both those schools and help OU with their political issues.
But I think the SEC has their Trophy fish with 2 out of the Big 12 and do not want their extra baggage.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
It's not even about saving college football, it's about saving and establishing some kind of order in college athletics in the first place.

The problem has always been athletic is "non-proftit" in name, but ran as a "for-profit" entity where greed overrides common sense. Conference should be based around school size, alumni, and geographic footprint. Moreover, limitations on AD, coaches, et al salaries should have established long ago. Players not getting paid wasn't the problem, is was the fact guys like Saban et al were making millions selling kids lies only to bolt for greener pastures later. There's a lot wrong with that.

I really thought the government should have stepped in a long time ago to mitigate senseless travel, the expenses that go with it, and the insanity that college sports has become. If it really is ALL about the money, just get rid of all of the women's sports, and all men's sports outside of college football and basketball. But, if that happens, what's left? What made college athletics into what it was will be completely gone. It's already on it's way there with this NIL deals, which have essentially paved the way for boosters to pump in a ton of money to attract recruits. Soon the Texas's of the world will be able to buy all of their players. Then what? Allow them to be on the team without taking classes.

The entire system is completely broken. The irony is I can see these things leading to college football's demise. If you take away everything that made it great people will quit watching.

The term "non-profit" is a misnomer. There isn't a non-profit in the country that doesn't try to make money. They all try to maximize revenues to either be able to further their mission and of course load their own pockets in the process.

• Winner
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
So because the Big Ten isnt immediately able to top the OU and Texas move that took everyone by surprise they should just sit on their ass and do nothing?? God forbid the SEC mock the Big Tens next move/s.

Thank God you weren't calling the shots when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. You would have sat in a corner and cried like a freaking girl. Well we cant counter bigger than that right now so lets just freaking quit. No we fought and clawed and won smaller battles until we eventually ended it with the atomic bomb and won the war.

The Big Ten may have to scratch and claw and win a lot of smaller battles to keep pace and eventually be able to put themselves in a position to be the superior conference and win the war.

What also helped tremendously in the war was our huge advantage in resources. After the NIL ruling and with this move to the SEC by OU and UT........who do you think has that advantage?