Where Will ISU End Up if the Big 12 Implodes?

Where Will ISU End Up If the Big 12 Implodes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Go ask fans on the big 10 board how ISU helps conference recruiting in an arms race with thr SEC. I'm sure adding the Western part of Iowa would be much more talent rich than say N.Carolina.

You don't know crap. You insinuate it is either North Carolina or Iowa State. No possible way they could be looking at both. That is not the case whatsoever. For all we know maybe the Big Ten is going to try to grab as many AAU schools as they possibly can and dominate the northern market. Again, you know ZERO. No one does.

Why not go out and try to grab North Carolina, Virginia, Pitt, Duke, Iowa State, Kansas, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Cal, USC, Stanford, UCLA, Utah and oh Notre Dame when they are forced to join a conference. If not all as many as possible.

I agree grabbing only Iowa State and Kansas may not be viewed as a legit response to the SEC grabbing OU and Texas but if you are the Big Ten you sure as **** better start somewhere! Does the Big Ten want to be the conference to go out and monopolize the northern market or do you want to sit tight and let the ACC or Pac 12 or for all we know let the SEC continue to pluck all the major programs?

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The only people who seem to think this is about streaming and not larger markets and reach out is Iowa State fans. I've seen 40 fan message boards, and listened to 50 different media yet only Iowa State fans seem to think it's about streaming. We dont even have that big of a fan base. Hell NDSU probably gets more streamers than Illinois so why aren't they going to the Big 10
If streaming is not a big deal, then why did ESPN start ESPN+, why did BTN set up a streaming service? Why has Disney, and NBC.

Its just a fade that will quickly go away like 3D TV?

Its the future, all the networks know it and they are all now trying to position themselves to the day when few games will be broadcast over the air for free and only be streamed. The NFL had one or two games last years, MLB teams are doing the same.

Reactions: Cyclonick182

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Go ask fans on the big 10 board how ISU helps conference recruiting in an arms race with thr SEC. I'm sure adding the Western part of Iowa would be much more talent rich than say N.Carolina.

Maybe, if that was an option, but they aren't getting anyone out of the ACC. Those teams are under a grant of rights for 14 years, and are in a stable conference with traditional rivalries and geography that makes sense. Schools like UNC or UVA just aren't on the table here.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
If streaming is not a big deal, then why did ESPN start ESPN+, why did BTN set up a streaming service? Why has Disney, and NBC.

Its just a fade that will quickly go away like 3D TV?

Its the future, all the networks know it and they are all now trying to position themselves to the day when few games will be broadcast over the air for free and only be streamed. The NFL had one or two games last years, MLB teams are doing the same.
I might further add this bit of technological info. Not a single phone call today does not at some point use the internet. It will not be long at all before every media transfer is via the internet.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
The SEC bylaws have a ‘vote out’ clause as well. Imagine if Texas and OU join, and then all the big dogs vote out the little ones like Vandy to invite other blue bloods from other conferences..
If that doesn't happen now, it will down the road when the SEC really comes for the Ohio States and Clemsons. This is a power move to reshape college athletics as we know it imo and they won't want to drag along Vandy among others.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Maybe, if that was an option, but they aren't getting anyone out of the ACC. Those teams are under a grant of rights for 14 years, and are in a stable conference with traditional rivalries and geography that makes sense. Schools like UNC or UVA just aren't on the table here.
Those contracts are a joke when people have the money to pay lawsuits. We hear all the time how this or that cant happen because of contracts. When money and powerful people with leverage are involved contracts are worthless.

• Disagree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
If they have as much insightful information as you I think I'll pass.

Reactions: Cyclonick182

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You are completely missing the recruiting angle on this. This is about being able to recruit better for the big 10 also. You don't expand your conference recruiting power by adding ISU. If you are a school like Ohio State you want your games on a new market like Atlanta(GA Tech) more than Des Moines. It's just as much about recruiting as it is tv.
Ohio ST and Michigan do not have to worry about getting their games on in New Markets, they are already there on BTN, or through streaming. So since the money idea has now been shot down you have moved it to recruiting.

Do you really think that Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan are worried about needed a school in Georgia or Florida to recruit, they are national brands, they are already talking to the best kids in the country, no matter what state they are in. Hell they pulled a 5 star QB out of Texas not long ago. It might matter some to the Iowa's and Purdue's of the world, but the big boys could care less.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Those contracts are a joke when people have the money to pay lawsuits. We hear all the time how this or that cant happen because of contracts. When money and powerful people with leverage are involved contracts are worthless.

Risk/reward. But you’re also correct in where there is a will there is a way. However, the ACC is sitting fine with the contracts they have in place now…need some major motivation to upset that apple cart, and I don’t think the B1G is offering that.

• Optimistic
Reactions: deadeyededric

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
OU and Texas are going to want the Big 12 to disband so they can get out of their contractual obligations. How many Big 12 teams would need to vote to disband? Would the SEC consider taking 4 Big 12 schools?

• Agree
Reactions: kcbob79clone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Does it matter, not one bit, and here is why, NC is not joining the Big 10, neither is ND, aTm, Mizzou any other ACC team, and I really doubt the Pac 12 teams are either.

There is what you can WISH for, and what you can GET.
The wish list of schools the big 10 can get is quite long without a doubt, but the list of schools willing and able to go are few and far between. ACC schools including ND locked up until 2035, SEC schools about to get 70 to 80 million a year in revenue if reports are true. So we have left the AAC schools, and the former Big 12 schools, unless you can work a deal to get 4 to 6 Pac 12 schools to leave, which isn't happening.

There is the field, you have two choices, sit back and wait and fall further behind the SEC, or choose the best of what is there and make a go of it, there are no other choices unless you get the Pac 12 schools.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Do you think TCU could get along with the super liberal Pac-12 institutions? I guess I'm not sure how much of a hard-line religious school TCU is.

I‘m not sure. If the pac is going to take a religious school, they’d likely prefer TCU over Baylor. BYU would bring more money, but that seems like more of a mismatch

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Does it matter, not one bit, and here is why, NC is not joining the Big 10, neither is ND, aTm, Mizzou any other ACC team, and I really doubt the Pac 12 teams are either.

There is what you can WISH for, and what you can GET.
The wish list of schools the big 10 can get is quite long without a doubt, but the list of schools willing and able to go are few and far between. ACC schools including ND locked up until 2035, SEC schools about to get 70 to 80 million a year in revenue if reports are true. So we have left the AAC schools, and the former Big 12 schools, unless you can work a deal to get 4 to 6 Pac 12 schools to leave, which isn't happening.

There is the field, you have two choices, sit back and wait and fall further behind the SEC, or choose the best of what is there and make a go of it, there are no other choices unless you get the Pac 12 schools.
You just don't add anyone if it doesn't bring money to the league. Anyone who doesn't bring in money is just another mouth to feed.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
You don't know crap. You insinuate it is either North Carolina or Iowa State. No possible way they could be looking at both. That is not the case whatsoever. For all we know maybe the Big Ten is going to try to grab as many AAU schools as they possibly can and dominate the northern market. Again, you know ZERO. No one does.

Why not go out and try to grab North Carolina, Virginia, Pitt, Duke, Iowa State, Kansas, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Cal, USC, Stanford, UCLA, Utah and oh Notre Dame when they are forced to join a conference. If not all as many as possible.

I agree grabbing only Iowa State and Kansas may not be viewed as a legit response to the SEC grabbing OU and Texas but if you are the Big Ten you sure as **** better start somewhere! Does the Big Ten want to be the conference to go out and monopolize the northern market or do you want to sit tight and let the ACC or Pac 12 or for all we know let the SEC continue to pluck all the major programs?
Youd think a b1g fan would know something about playing defense.

B1g expansion right now isnt about does this team or that add value. Its about adding scale to punch back at the sec and keep the b1g bkue bloods from jumping in a year or two into the super league.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
The only people who seem to think this is about streaming and not larger markets and reach out is Iowa State fans. I've seen 40 fan message boards, and listened to 50 different media yet only Iowa State fans seem to think it's about streaming. We dont even have that big of a fan base. Hell NDSU probably gets more streamers than Illinois so why aren't they going to the Big 10

If that is what you believe, you are misconstruing the comments. The point about the streaming arguments is that market size is no longer the sole determining factor and will be less so in the future.