Where are all the cliffdwellers now?

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Actually, yes it was. When you go from beating the best 5 teams in the conference at home to losing to 3 of the bottom 4 teams and playing hideously while doing so, there was definitely an chance we could have been on the outside looking in. If the team got blown out at Baylor the committee could have viewed the slide and loss of Grill as potential reasons to keep us out.

I don't necessarily think it would have happened but to call it an unreasonable thought would be inaccurate.

Either way it's moot as this win makes us a lock.
What a bunch of rationalization.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I keep seeing this flare up about the record vs. the bottom 4 B12 teams like there's just a given that this ISU team without a consistent scorer or closer type should just sustain playing lights out every time out or that those teams aren't tough outs to begin with.

It’s tough to clear out the old ways of thinking. This conference is a different beast in basketball.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
What a bunch of rationalization.
“My season long whiny ***** fit was validated by this win”

-ZRF
Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by posters who whine and are as negative as possible. Who's gonna' do it? You? You, Lieutenant G. Spot? The Eeyore Brigade has a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the end of ridiculous whining and you curse the Eeyore Brigade. You have that luxury of not knowing what they know--that the incredibly annoying negativism , while tragic, probably saved people from enjoying game threads; and the Eeyore Brigade's existence in game threads, while grotesque, annoying and incomprehensible to you, saves you from enjoying those threads.

You don't want reality and the trust because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want the Eeyore Brigade on the Whining Wall--you need them on that Wall.

They use words like "terrible", "collapse", and "reality". They use those words as the backbone of a life spent ****-posting. You use them as a punch line.

They have neither the time nor the inclination to explain themselves to a poster who rises and sleeps under the ridiculous TJ-hating negativity that they provide and then questions the manner in which they provide it.

They would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, they suggest that you pick up a keyboard and start whine posting. Either way, they don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to.

EeyorePRime.jpg

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’ll eat crow. Thought they were a tourney team, just didn’t think they’d win a remaining game the way they were playing. The trend was collapse, so I’m ok admitting wrong. Now can at least breathe and enjoy the tourney again.
I was in the same boat as you. I was sure we were in the tourney (thought we'd end up as an 8) and thought our best chance for a win was there. Didn't think Bayor or the Big 12 gave us much chance with our struggles in conference lately.

• Agree
Reactions: 4theCYcle

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It’s tough to clear out the old ways of thinking. This conference is a different beast in basketball.

And in a 4 month season this weird expectation for things to just stay one way or another is perplexing especially with a group that is generally undermanned athletically.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I keep seeing this flare up about the record vs. the bottom 4 B12 teams like there's just a given that this ISU team without a consistent scorer or closer type should just sustain playing lights out every time out or that those teams aren't tough outs to begin with.
Well I guess OU thumping TCU and Tech in a 1 pt game at KU in final seconds in last game and WV soundly beating KState kind of proves the tough outs. For most fans, they just have become used to winning in Hilton again. Until the last 3 proved it wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Actually, yes it was. When you go from beating the best 5 teams in the conference at home to losing to 3 of the bottom 4 teams and playing hideously while doing so, there was definitely an chance we could have been on the outside looking in. If the team got blown out at Baylor the committee could have viewed the slide and loss of Grill as potential reasons to keep us out.

I don't necessarily think it would have happened but to call it an unreasonable thought would be inaccurate.

Do you not watch college basketball? There really is no "Bottom" in the Big XII. The worst team in our conference OU embarrassed then #2 Alabama, WVU beat ranked Auburn, TT won against LSU, and the conference overall went 7-3 in the middle of the conference season against the Top 10 of the SEC. The "bottom 4" would worst case be middle tier teams and likely upper tier in nearly any other conference. Barring the AQ upsets that always happen in the 1-2 bid leagues, an argument could be made that 9 if not all 10 Big XII teams should be in the tourney.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Well I guess OU thumping TCU and Tech in a 1 pt game at KU in final seconds in last game and WV soundly beating KState kind of proves the tough outs. For most fans, they just have become used to winning in Hilton again. Until the last 3 proved it wrong.

And historically only losing like one game in Hilton isn't as common or again, automatic as it seems.

There were some really awesome wins in there too and even 3 conference road wins is consistent with many good ISU seasons.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha

Attachments

• 3FEEF36D-3B26-490A-9112-E6D9AEFB516D.jpeg
    3FEEF36D-3B26-490A-9112-E6D9AEFB516D.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 2