When will the streak be broken?

• Politics and In-State Rivals Threads - You will notice that you may or may not be seeing expected posts from the Politics and In-State Rivals forums.

Due to the nature of these forums, they have been changed from an opt-out to opt-in design - meaning you must opt-in to see them. Unfortunately, that only changes the default for new registrations. Your selections right now are likely not what you want.

You can opt-in/out to either the Politics or In-State Rivals Forums in your user settings (click for instructions to learn more).

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
just curious as to when and who do you think will be the team to end KU's run as regular Big12 season title champions?

I am mixed about this because I want it to be ISU this year but I have a feeling that 2015-16 will likely be when we topple them.

I do think there are some teams this year that could do it but I predict KU repeats again this year. Any thoughts about this?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Who knows? What I do know is if Kansas hadn't been awarded the game against Iowa State two years ago, the streak would be one. They tied with Kansas State that year and they obviously won a game that they shouldn't have.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I don't know how anyone can answer anything other than "I don't know" or "maybe this year". We don't know jack squat about what the Big 12 will look like beyond this year, so there's no way anyone can say "we'll topple Kansas next year" without it just being more than a wild guess.

I think there are four teams capable of doing it this year, including us.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think it'll either be this year or next year by us but it wouldn't surprise me if Texas does this year.

I'm interested in Texas this year. I realize that they ended up being good last year and they have a lot of talent coming in. But they had a lot of talent a few years ago and they completely sucked. I wouldn't be shocked if they took a step back this year.

UraMallas

Jan 9, 2013
I thought this was going to be the much more interesting question of when the streak for non-con regular season wins would come to an end. I would imagine there aren't many teams with a longer streak for that right now.

Last edited:

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I thought this was going to be the much more interesting question of when the streak for non-con regular season wins would come to an end. I would imagine there aren't many teams with a longer streak for that right now.

I imagine Syracuse has a pretty lengthy non-con win streak. They're notorious for scheduling an easy non-con and rarely leaving NY during that time.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Not sure, but conference titles are rather meaningless. After 2012-13, KU's streak even more so.

When will another Big 12 school reach the FF? KU should have good odds, but that could be said every year. UT and OU have all the ingredients. ISU and KSU could have what it takes if newcomers play as well as hoped. It will be disappointing if no teams make it.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I look at it this way. Bill Self will Bill Self and have a good team AGAIN.

That being said, I don't think Kansas will have the best starting 5 in the Big XII

Assumptions:

Kansas - Iowa State

Mason = Morris
Selden < BDJ
Oubre > Whoever we put out there
Alexander = Niang (Don't be biased. Niang is a freak, but so is Alexander if you haven't seen him)
Ellis < McKay

And I think we have more depth than them as well.

Also, I think Ellis is better than McKay when the two player one on one. Because for whatever reason Ellis decides to go beast mode against Iowa State. But overall, McKay > Ellis.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Not sure, but conference titles are rather meaningless. After 2012-13, KU's streak even more so.

When will another Big 12 school reach the FF? KU should have good odds, but that could be said every year. UT and OU have all the ingredients. ISU and KSU could have what it takes if newcomers play as well as hoped. It will be disappointing if no teams make it.

Other than it being the most prestigious regular season achievement a team can possibly have, I see what you mean.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
soon_meme_collection_640_14.jpg

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames
I really thought last year was going to be the year. Kansas was beat up early with that brutal non-con they played. They relied fairly heavily on super young talent, which can sometimes be a struggle finding consistency. They had one of their worst defensive statistical season under Self. And there were several teams in the league good enough to beat them if they had stayed more consistent. They still found a way to win it. I think that several pieces are once again in place for it to happen this year, but we'll just have to see how this years league matches up. Regardless, it should be a really wonderful year of basketball in the Big 12. Can't argue giving Kansas the preseason crown, but they should have some pretty serious competition.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Other than it being the most prestigious regular season achievement a team can possibly have, I see what you mean.
Yes, regular season. The best thing about winning a conference title is not the title, but the good seed that likely comes with it. If given the choice, I would prefer a season in which we finish 4th in the Big 12 over a Big 12 title, if the former came with more NCAA tournament success. How do you remember the 2000-01 season and would you prefer that year over last year?

UraMallas

Jan 9, 2013
I imagine Syracuse has a pretty lengthy non-con win streak. They're notorious for scheduling an easy non-con and rarely leaving NY during that time.

Their streak is 15. They lost to Temple in the 2012-2013 season and played two non-con games after that.

Our streak is 16. Our last loss was to Iowa in the 2012-2013 season.

Alabama (19), Arkansas (21) and Iowa (23) would be our possible speed bumps this season. I would hate it if Iowa bookended our streak.

Last edited:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Yes, regular season. The best thing about winning a conference title is not the title, but the good seed that likely comes with it. If given the choice, I would prefer a season in which we finish 4th in the Big 12 over a Big 12 title, if the former came with more NCAA tournament success. How do you remember the 2000-01 season and would you prefer that year over last year?

The NCAA tournament is a total crapshoot. That's what makes it so crazy to make a deep run, but a regular season championship is also a very big deal.

The biggest issue I have with the KU streak is it's always presented without telling how many times they have only shared it...

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I look at it this way. Bill Self will Bill Self and have a good team AGAIN.

That being said, I don't think Kansas will have the best starting 5 in the Big XII

Assumptions:

Kansas - Iowa State

Mason = Morris
Selden < BDJ
Oubre > Whoever we put out there
Alexander = Niang (Don't be biased. Niang is a freak, but so is Alexander if you haven't seen him)
Ellis < McKay

And I think we have more depth than them as well.

Also, I think Ellis is better than McKay when the two player one on one. Because for whatever reason Ellis decides to go beast mode against Iowa State. But overall, McKay > Ellis.

I don't know, as hyped as I am about McKay, I'd have a hard time claiming he's better than Perry Ellis, who averaged 13.5pts/6.7reb in the Big 12.

Selden's a wild card...he was decent overall, but very streaky last year. Had some monster games but would fall asleep the next time around. If he can get some consistency to his game, he'll be a great player.

Curious why you don't think Morris > Mason, too.

Help Support Us

Become a patron