When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 131 17.8%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 176 24.0%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 378 51.5%

• Total voters

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
While I don't think the majority of roads will have this type of technology, I could see it being employed in various stretches of interstates or highways. Doesn't make a lot of economical and overhead costs in cities, but would be very helpful if it could charge fast enough on the long trips.

Reactions: khardbored and legi

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Could they go 500 miles at 200 mph on one charge?
You could have some sort of quick change battery at pit stops. Similar to swapping out a power tool battery. That said, I hope I never see fully electric cars at Indy.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
You could have some sort of quick change battery at pit stops. Similar to swapping out like a power tool battery. That said, I hope I never see fully electric cars at Indy.

It's only a matter of time. Formula E is growing in popularity and the technology is evolving quickly. A Formula E race at IMS is going to happen at some point.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
It's only a matter of time. Formula E is growing in popularity and the technology is evolving quickly. A Formula E race at IMS is going to happen at some point.

I should rephrase - I hope to never see IndyCars running full electric. Would be cool to see Formula E or another electric series run there.

Reactions: cycloneG

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I should rephrase - I hope to never see IndyCars running full electric. Would be cool to see Formula E or another electric series run there.
Quick question - is there a particular reason? Is it just the tradition of fuel? I would think the advantages of speed of acceleration and such would only help the sport. I have no idea of popularity of any of the various types of racing, but Indy seems like a pretty small niche that could only benefit from being progressive.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Quick question - is there a particular reason? Is it just the tradition of fuel? I would think the advantages of speed of acceleration and such would only help the sport. I have no idea of popularity of any of the various types of racing, but Indy seems like a pretty small niche that could only benefit from being progressive.
I don't think most will admit it, but it's 95%+ about the sound.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Yea, tradition. And as mentioned, part of the aura of racing in general is the smell, sounds, etc.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Yea, tradition. And as mentioned, part of the aura of racing in general is the smell, sounds, etc.
Thanks - was just curious. Tradition and experience (sound, smell, etc) are difficult to adjust to with the same connection.

Reactions: ianoconnor

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Sounds are really important to something like watching Indy car racing live. On a track like Indianapolis, it's about the only thing you notice. The wheels are not squeeling, the cars rarely get loose, you can only see a small portion of the track, there is very little acceleration, etc. It's basically speed and sound for a large portion of the spectators.
Most of the long NASCAR tracks are similar, just slower and more action (bumping, car movement, etc)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Sounds are really important to something like watching Indy car racing live. On a track like Indianapolis, it's about the only thing you notice. The wheels are not squeeling, the cars rarely get loose, you can only see a small portion of the track, there is very little acceleration, etc. It's basically speed and sound for a large portion of the spectators.
Most of the long NASCAR tracks are similar, just slower and more action (bumping, car movement, etc)
You don’t want the thunder to get replaced by a faint hum?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm fine with leaving them gas powered. So much of the racing today is so boring, that you have something to keep the fans entertained.
If they stay with ICE, they will probably be limited on where they can run. There could be some states shutting it down there.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If they stay with ICE, they will probably be limited on where they can run. There could be some states shutting it down there.
That will be interesting. Not the same thing, but I remember when MX went from 2 stroke to 4 stroke and how many people fought that change. Same with MotoGP.

Things will change over time and some motorsports will become less popular, while other will take the lead.

I'm fine with motorsports being loud, but I'm so over regular cars/motorcycles tuned to sound like idiots.

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored