Whats your take on H1N1

safmusic

May 30, 2006
I agree totally overblown but now that it is here it has been found in a swine herd in Canada traced back to a worker that came directly from Mexico and was sick when the worker came back north. Genetically this virus has been expected to cross over into pigs. Commercial swine flu vaccines are expected to be protective but major research from the vaccine companies is starting next wk to see about the expected protection and if a new strain of vaccine is needed. This virus has a few genes found in Asia so thinking is that there was some recombination there from swine,bird or people flu but that is speculation and will never be able to be ascertained much more than that.
We tell our customers to wear masks in hog barns as the workers can get flu from pigs and vice versa. People can be a carrier to the next group of pigs and be spreaders of the disease.
There are several strains of flu that circulates in the swine population and is very common. My disertation could go on for a long time.
The national pork board is backing some research on this new strain especially since it has caused such a big hit in the market..

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Totally brain dead stupidly overblown by the media......so bad in fact that Saudia Arabia and Isreal thought it best to slaughter all the hogs in their country to keep people from getting it.....even though there is no chance of it happening.

The older I get the less relevant 90% of the media becomes....

I don't think that's true. The only country I've heard about slaughtering all their hogs was Egypt.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
My life has done a complete 180. I now wash my hands every 4-6 minutes, wear a mask whenever I go outside, don't shake hands anymore, open doors with my elbows, and I don't make eye contact with sick looking people. Other than that, I'm not too worried about it, don't worry about it, I'm not worried about it. :jimlad:

Media has blown this way out of proportion. Getting struck by lightening while getting attacked by a shark has caused more deaths...

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
My wife and I have been calling the Pig Fever. Or the Oinks. We'll probably be the first to die of it in Iowa.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I think it's easy for everyone to sit back and say the media overhyped this bigtime. However, there's not much question this planet is overdue for a pandemic. It's just a question of when, not if.

The flu virus that began in Mexico appeared to be just the virus the scientists have been waiting for, especially since the mortality rate appeared to be high. Thank God it turned out to a mild virus. However, it's very possible this virus could mutate into something much more serious.

Also, things may be disapating with the onset of summer, but chances are we're in for a big flu season this fall/winter. So while things appear to be overhyped right now, folks shouldn't get too dismissive about the threat of a pandemic.

Last edited:

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Are there even any hogs in Israel or Saudi Arabia to slaughter? I thought it was an unclean animal for one of their religions, and not exactly a climate conducive to hog production I wouldn't think.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I don't think that's true. The only country I've heard about slaughtering all their hogs was Egypt.

Are there even any hogs in Israel or Saudi Arabia to slaughter? I thought it was an unclean animal for one of their religions, and not exactly a climate conducive to hog production I wouldn't think.

I am almost certain I read that in an article when reading daily market information before the open of the markets every day but I could be mistaken. I could blame it on the media making crap up.....:jimlad:

cyclonemaniac7

Apr 11, 2006
Just the next thing the media can take and run with. It's crazy how easily people can be scared and taken advantage of.

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa
I think it's easy for everyone to sit back and say the media overhyped this bigtime. However, there's not much question this planet is overdue for a pandemic. It's just a question of when, not if.

The flu virus that began in Mexico appeared to be just the virus the scientists have been waiting for, especially since the mortality rate appeared to be high. Thank God it turned out to a mild virus. However, it's very possible this virus could mutate into something much more serious.

Also, things may be disapating with the onset of summer, but chances are we're in for a big flu season this fall/winter. So while things appear to be overhyped right now, folks shouldn't get too dismissive about the threat of a pandemic.

Thanks a lot.. your first post? I think you hit the nail on the head here.. hindsight is 20/20 and I agree it likely wasnt overhyped and this fall there could be issues to deal with.

Thanks

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
I think the mistake people make is they compare deaths cause by H1N1 to the regular flu and say it's nothing. The big deal isn't the deaths it has caused, but the deaths it could cause considering the type of virus it is and how easily it is spread/mutated.

That and if you're going to do something or make a big deal out of something like this, you have to do it before there seems to be a need for it. If you do it after cases start popping up it's too late, Marshalltown schools for example. What they did may or may not be premature, I don't know all the facts. But if they wait longer and the virus were to show up at school, it's way to late to do anything about it.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Ask people in Asia if they felt SARS was no big deal.

I was making the point how media made a big overblown coverage saying the United States was next, similar to what happend with swine flu. Media just wants ratings thats it. Yeah its bad that theres a virus that could potentially be a pandemic, but really wasnt as big of an issue here. And everyone became paranoid and panicked.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
I was making the point how media made a big overblown coverage saying the United States was next, similar to what happend with swine flu. Media just wants ratings thats it. Yeah its bad that theres a virus that could potentially be a pandemic, but really wasnt as big of an issue here. And everyone became paranoid and panicked.
The thing is though that with something like that if they were to wait until it looks like it's a big deal in the US, what good is it? Too late. If they wait until 500 people die before they report on it a lot of good that does me if I've been out and around tons of people that week.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
The thing is though that with something like that if they were to wait until it looks like it's a big deal in the US, what good is it? Too late. If they wait until 500 people die before they report on it a lot of good that does me if I've been out and around tons of people that week.

Well if thats your reasoning why don't they report the deaths from normal influenza, malaria, and other viruses like that? Remember the west nile scare too?

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Well if thats your reasoning why don't they report the deaths from normal influenza, malaria, and other viruses like that? Remember the west nile scare too?
I've seen numerous reports on influenza, especially as it relates to the elderly and their increased risk. Probably every year around flu season in fact.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I've seen numerous reports on influenza, especially as it relates to the elderly and their increased risk. Probably every year around flu season in fact.

But is there mass panic? There are huge differences and how the media reports that type of flu compared to other viruses and supposive pandemics....Its sickening to me personally. It's hard for me to the watch the news anymore because its so pathetic.