What was going on in the SE corner of the stands at WV game?

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
What was happening in the SE corner of the stands at the West Virginia game yesterday that had 4 or 5 sections watching, chanting something, and booing? I think it was 2nd quarter, a West Virginia player was down and being attended to, and boos were heard and I thought a chant that sounded like "We Want More" but I could be mistaken.

Also, apologies if this was covered elsewhere...but I didn't seen anything in the other threads I read.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
WE WANT THE HORN!!!!
We have our horn guy that plays after Cyclone 1st downs.

For the last several years, he and security have gone back and forth, and they've repeatedly taken the horn away, then let it go, then taken it. Very inconsistent.

This year, they let it go all year until yesterday afternoon. When they took it, the SE corner (and the end zone, too, I think) decided that we wanted to stand up for our horn guy. We chanted "WE WANT THE HORN!" over and over, and eventually security relented and gave the guy his horn.

It was a good moment of standing up to the man over something that's just a fun horn at a football game. It was a couple, I'd say late 40s or early 50s, that apparently made the complaint. That's who security took time to speak with on the way to returning the horn.

WE WANT THE HORN!!!!!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Why does security bother taking Horn Guy's horn?

I guess it's against some rule. I don't know the rule specifically, but I think someone mentioned that it's related to sportsmanship or something.

I've never understood the problem. We're cheering first downs. It's not exactly the most threatening thing I've seen. It's fun at a football game.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Is there another guy that does the horn in the student section too then? Because I recall having a horn in the student section at least once this year and a few times in previous years.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Is there another guy that does the horn in the student section too then? Because I recall having a horn in the student section at least once this year and a few times in previous years.

Yes. For at least a couple years, it was a pair of brothers, one in the student section and one in section 18.
I don't know if it's still brothers in the 2 sections by now. I'm assuming that the student one may have graduated and passed the horn onto someone else. I don't know, though. They're 10 or 15 rows ahead of me.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
We want the horn.

Staff took the stadium horn.

Thanks for the explanation, as well as the others who elaborated and added. I was in the upper level and a section or two to the right and everyone was wondering and trying to figure out what was happening. The chant wasn't really clear where we were.

Ummy

Nov 26, 2011
Omaha
Well that stinks. I took my fiancee to the Tech game, and we were in 17. The horn was great. Added to the atmosphere and fun. Sorry to hear it got taken.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
Most stadiums have rules against noisemakers to prevent mass chaos

See: Fifa World cup 2010

I believe we also have that rule to stop that. I do like the horn guy but I just hope they don't let anyone else do it because most people are just annoying with it. The guy that does it now does it very responsibly...if it makes sense to say that about someone playing the horn.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I was on the other side of the stadium and figured that was what was happening. Some one asked what was going on and I told them I was pretty sure the staff was taking the horn away.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
It was friggin insanely loud cheering for the horn guy. And the next few first down chants were uber loud. It was awesome. I'm in 17 straight across from them. Thanks to the couple that went to talk to security about it because the horn was taken completely out of the section...they came back with the horn to give it back to the guy.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Most stadiums have rules against noisemakers to prevent mass chaos

See: Fifa World cup 2010

I understand that as the rule as well but watching Okie State and Miss State sure doesn't make sense. We have a horn that is played for a first down signal when we are on offense and they have thousands of people that have paddles and cowbells when they are on defense. View attachment 16525

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
Sec 17,18,19 are by far the best cheering sections in the crowd. I love you guys!

I agree. I sat in section M this year and those sections never sit when we are on defense....fantastic group down there.