What online news source do you use?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
drudgereport, foxnews & yahoo.

Yahoo has some good links to financial articles.

If you like those there are usually some excellent financial articles on MSN as well that you might like. One of the main writers (Jubak I think?) was predicting pretty much everything that happened with the economy long before all the other financial writers.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
huffingtonpost.com

They have tons of info from politics to entertainment to sports.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
Google News: I use Google News which I have specific searches added for my specific interests (Cyclones, MN Twins, etc.)

RSS: I use Google Reader for keeping up with the blogosphere - especially all of the cyclone blogs

Twitter: I follow too many people/groups/websites but there are an awful amount of links that go up on twitter which provides me with ample reading material.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Huffingtonpost.com has a large spread, but it is vastly liberal which does spin a lot of its news.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I use CNN.com but I'm tired of it... too many "headline" stories that remind me of FOX News. I just want pure information, and have been trying nytimes.com.

I used cnn.com from about 99-06 and it became more and more tabloid and fluff news. The opinion pieces there have had less and less of an intellectual outlook and more and more partisan hackery (in both directions).

I switched to NYT.com too and have loved it. Massive upgrade. I also check Chicago Tribune, Sun Times and chicagonow.com blogs occasionally.

Pretty much any site with massive amounts of daily celebrity gossip on the front page is garbage, foxnews.com, msnbc.com, cnn.com etc...

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
google news (normal + some sections that I watch) and drudge.

I also usually have a tab open to finance.google.com for the markets.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
So I ask this because I often find myself wandering around on news sites trying to waste time at work, and wonder which news sites people like most.
I have always read newspapers. The WSJ, NYT, and WaPo post breaking news, do original reporting, and have other interesting feature articles (like health, science, book reviews). You might poke around some and learn what days certain things are published. In this last Sunday's NYT Magazine I found the main article about a reporter's lifetime of psychoanalysis interesting and oddly engaging (as well as the comments).

I follow a number of blogs in Google Reader. These are not so much my favorite, but ones that generally have a lot of activity or that are a little obscure or don't have a lot of activity (ones that have a fair number of links or original material that I like and might otherwise miss).

I am not a huge fan of the kind of economic analysis they more often post, but the Financial Times Comment (opinion) page and economics blog often have something interesting. Bloomberg and WaPo (Washington Post) recently began a cooperative agreement. I've seen some better and unique reporting on the WP's business page as a result.

Last edited: