What is your favorite Car Company?

What is your favorite car company?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tellmac1

Sep 24, 2008
Use to buy Ford and GM until 1985 when I had a rear main seal go out on two GMs in a row. Have not purchased an 'American' car since. Been a Honda and Subaru owner since.

They ,American auto Co. had only 100 yrs. to figure it out. Now they want a handout.????? DUMB!!!!!

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
RWD today is different than RWD of old. Traction control makes it no worse than most FWD vehicles.

Performance FWD vehicles are a joke.

Used to think the same thing until I saw my neigbors RWD Caddilac stuck in their icy driveway last winter. I'm sure it had all the bells and whistles as far as traction control systems goes. It's very hard to beat a FWD car with the weight over the drive wheels and modern traction control sytems.

Your right about performance and that's the only reason I'd even consider a RWD.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Holden's got some good products, but most of them are RWD? Just don't see that being a huger seller up here in winter, but perhaps could find a niche like BMW.

Most are indeed RWD, but like you said, companies like BMW and Mercedes have flourished here. I just like the fact that their designs are aggressive and they use American muscle to power them. Perfect combo!!

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
That guy is the ultimate crossbreed of ***holishness between smug fart-sniffing Prius drivers and gigantic, expensive SUV owners.

Driving around a vehicle that seats 8 by yourself? Check.
Proud of yourself because you spent the extra thousand dollars for the crap hybrid system? Check.
Happy because you just flushed 30k down the drain because the 72k vehicle you just bought for 60k is now worth 30k? Check.
Punch in the face from me? Double check.

Thanks for the new word :notworthy::biglaugh:

Also love the check list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Most are indeed RWD, but like you said, companies like BMW and Mercedes have flourished here. I just like the fact that their designs are aggressive and they use American muscle to power them. Perfect combo!!

Both Niche market players and I'd argue BMW is the only one who's flourishing and they aren't what they used to be....Lexus and Infinity and even Caddilac have taken market share away from the Germans...

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
In all fairness, no car company is what they used to be because of the market. Unfortunatly, the G8 sales are pitiful. Something like 14K have been sold since they came out in the summer. People just aren't buying new like they were 10 years ago.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Used to think the same thing until I saw my neigbors RWD Caddilac stuck in their icy driveway last winter. I'm sure it had all the bells and whistles as far as traction control systems goes. It's very hard to beat a FWD car with the weight over the drive wheels and modern traction control sytems.

Your right about performance and that's the only reason I'd even consider a RWD.

Throw a few hundred pounds of sand in the back of it and you're set. Engines don't weigh that much.

At any rate, having all the weight in the front is a great reason NOT to buy a FWD car for performance. You have to toss in a bunch of extra weight in the back to get it balanced properly.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
At any rate, having all the weight in the front is a great reason NOT to buy a FWD car for performance. You have to toss in a bunch of extra weight in the back to get it balanced properly.

:yes:
I had a Saturn Ion Redline before the Goat and was FWD. I bumped up the hp from 205 stock to ~255 and there was no such thing as traction. The car was fun as hell to drive, but FWD does not equal good performance platform. Plus, torque steer is a PITA and can be dangerous.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
In all fairness, no car company is what they used to be because of the market. Unfortunatly, the G8 sales are pitiful. Something like 14K have been sold since they came out in the summer. People just aren't buying new like they were 10 years ago.

They just are not offering a big enough discount yet for me to buy a G8 (V8 version). If I could buy a new one for around $24K, I'd probably buy my first domestic in the last 20 years.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
They just are not offering a big enough discount yet for me to buy a G8 (V8 version). If I could buy a new one for around $24K, I'd probably buy my first domestic in the last 20 years.

Give it more time. The GXP is scheduled to drop early '09. That should drop the GT prices a bit. Plus, some of the current GT owners will probably drop theirs to get the GXP. It's a game, really.

jamesfnb

Apr 9, 2006
What Ford has to offer now is a lot better than the "bug-like" stuff they had to offer between the mid-'90s through the early 2000s. That being said, the Fusion and Mustang are about the only passenger vehicles I'd ever even consider owning from Ford.

I take part of my anti-Ford statement back. I've always had a place in my heart for the Mustang for some reason. Probably because it was my first car.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Throw a few hundred pounds of sand in the back of it and you're set. Engines don't weigh that much..

Yeah, but if the new traction control is so great, why should you have to do that? Not much of an advancement over 70's technology really.

From practical standpoint, It's hard for this buyer to be swayed to a RWD here in Iowa.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Yeah, but if the new traction control is so great, why should you have to do that? Not much of an advancement over 70's technology really.

From practical standpoint, It's hard for this buyer to be swayed to a RWD here in Iowa.

Because you still have to have weight on the back wheels to give them traction.
From a practical standpoint, I don't think it's a huge deal.
For about 90% of drivers, FWD makes more sense over RWD.

it may make more sense, but it's not nearly as much fun to drive.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
RWD today is different than RWD of old. Traction control makes it no worse than most FWD vehicles.

Performance FWD vehicles are a joke.

My, your tune had changed a whole lot in a year's time frame - last year you thought a Mazdaspeed3 was a great car...

The Mazdaspeed3 has equal length halfshafts, electronic throttle control and a host of other crap to minimize torque steer. Most reviews have been that there is pretty much no torque steer at all, and wheel slip is limited by the computer through first and second gear through boost reduction.

Just because Detroit pumps out crap FWD cars, doesn't mean that they are all like that.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
That's the first time I've ever saw this statement in my lifetime and hopefully the last.

Seriously, I just call them like I see them. I got finger oil all over the Bentley, and then the Ferrari, and I just cannot express the difference. Night and day. Plus the Ferrari had a very tinny exhaust note. At least in comparison.

Now the Bugatti was just crazy looking....

Bugatti_Veyron.jpg
http://www.fantom-xp.com/wallpapers/17/Bugatti_Veyron.jpg