What is your business idea?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
@cyclone4L

What’s the best and easiest way to create a LLC in Iowa? I’ve been told it’s easy to do yourself and not to spend a lot of money to do it.

Don't forget having an operating agreement. You can find one online, but I've been told to have a lawyer do it. This would probably be the most expensive thing in setting up an llc.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
@cyclone4L

What’s the best and easiest way to create a LLC in Iowa? I’ve been told it’s easy to do yourself and not to spend a lot of money to do it.
Legalzoom. So easy and straight forward. I’ve formed multiple LLCs and nonprofits through Legalzoom. Keep it simple.

Eventually, you’ll want to talk to a lawyer and accountant about if you should make changes to the original document, but that’s after you’ve got things going. Definitely use legalzoom and other tools like that. It shouldn’t be a longer, drawn out activity if it doesn’t need to be.

Now, this next part may be a little bit sketchy for some. I never file the legal docs until I’m up and going with success. No point in wasting time on waiting for the state. The government doesn’t care about my losses; they care about taxing my gains.

If you have a brick and mortar or a larger operation with employees, absolutely you’ll need the legal documents.

The legal documents never made a bad company profitable.

Reactions: jdcyclone19

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Forming an LLC is easy and can be done online at the secretary of states web site. https://sos.iowa.gov/

Use the search feature to look for existing businesses in Iowa that are similar in nature to what you are looking to do. Download 2 or 3 different articles of incorporation then take the parts you like from what you see to make your own.

Someone else mentioned an operating agreement which isn't important right away specially if you are just on your own. If you have a partnership or multiple people involved an operating agreement is important. It isn't a bad idea to have a lawyer help you with this part.

As to the person wondering if it is sketchy to start in business without the legal paperwork, no there is no need to file paperwork before you get started unless of course you are in a trade that requires licensing. There is also sales tax collection which requires a separate state account.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
A device you attach to your car visor that has a small circle (great place for ad placement) that you swivel/position in your direct line of sight with grifters asking for money at street lights.

It's called - HoBo No Mo.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Forming an LLC is easy and can be done online at the secretary of states web site. https://sos.iowa.gov/

Use the search feature to look for existing businesses in Iowa that are similar in nature to what you are looking to do. Download 2 or 3 different articles of incorporation then take the parts you like from what you see to make your own.

Someone else mentioned an operating agreement which isn't important right away specially if you are just on your own. If you have a partnership or multiple people involved an operating agreement is important. It isn't a bad idea to have a lawyer help you with this part.

As to the person wondering if it is sketchy to start in business without the legal paperwork, no there is no need to file paperwork before you get started unless of course you are in a trade that requires licensing. There is also sales tax collection which requires a separate state account.
I would be VERY careful with this aspect.

The legal paperwork serves two purposes: to make your business official in the eyes of the government (hence legal and taxable) and to create a "guideline" in case the company goes under or a founder/key figure leaves.

Be VERY VERY careful who you pick as a cofounder. I have witnessed hundreds to thousands of businesses being started; the founders that chose a random cofounder to fill a need fell apart almost every time. I would recommend you find someone you have worked well with in the past or a friend that will enjoy working with you. I would also recommend that you pick someone who has a passion for it and would do the project anyway if you weren't there. Ask them, if I died in a week, would you continue to work on this? If the answer isn't "absolutely", they may not be in it for the long hall.

The legal document does not bind you two (or more) together to fight for the common goal. It is just for court when you guys either go bankrupt or someone decides to leave. It does not assign your roles, those should be known by your relationship and discussions. If you need to utter the words "We have an agreement that...", you clearly didn't come to an agreement.

I strongly suggest finding a cofounder, but don't bring one on if you don't have a prior history of working together. Also, I have seen husband and wife teams work; however, I would NEVER start a business with my wife. We are both DOMINANT personalities and we would clash non-stop. Great marriage, but terrible business partners.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I would be VERY careful with this aspect.

The legal paperwork serves two purposes: to make your business official in the eyes of the government (hence legal and taxable) and to create a "guideline" in case the company goes under or a founder/key figure leaves.

Be VERY VERY careful who you pick as a cofounder. I have witnessed hundreds to thousands of businesses being started; the founders that chose a random cofounder to fill a need fell apart almost every time. I would recommend you find someone you have worked well with in the past or a friend that will enjoy working with you. I would also recommend that you pick someone who has a passion for it and would do the project anyway if you weren't there. Ask them, if I died in a week, would you continue to work on this? If the answer isn't "absolutely", they may not be in it for the long hall.

The legal document does not bind you two (or more) together to fight for the common goal. It is just for court when you guys either go bankrupt or someone decides to leave. It does not assign your roles, those should be known by your relationship and discussions. If you need to utter the words "We have an agreement that...", you clearly didn't come to an agreement.

I strongly suggest finding a cofounder, but don't bring one on if you don't have a prior history of working together. Also, I have seen husband and wife teams work; however, I would NEVER start a business with my wife. We are both DOMINANT personalities and we would clash non-stop. Great marriage, but terrible business partners.

Sounds like some good information, I have never needed to worry about finding a person to be cofounder so this is not an issue I have come up against yet.

I assume this must be a legal requirement if you are a one person operation?

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM

This is all you really need to do: grab an existing company's articles of incorporation (could be just a few lines), put your name on it and give the state $50. done - you have a company

I wouldn't worry about the operating agreement until you need to open a business checking account or if there are going to be more people involved than just yourself

Reactions: cytech

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
A machine that hooks to your headboard of your bed and scratches your back till you fall asleep.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
A machine that hooks to your headboard of your bed and scratches your back till you fall asleep.
tenor.gif

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Also, I have seen husband and wife teams work; however, I would NEVER start a business with my wife. We are both DOMINANT personalities and we would clash non-stop. Great marriage, but terrible business partners.

As a tax professional I have heard numerous complaints when dealing with estates/executors about "my brother/sister was made the executor and is hiding all the good stuff,...I know we are getting cheated out of $$$,....".

Competent financial institutions have professionals with no dog in the estate distribution fight. Let them handle everything. It might cost some money-wise, but that is better than family feuding.

Financial advisors,......with no deduction of their fees now available, try to renegotiate or move elsewhere. I have seen year-end advisor letters telling clients to ignore what they hear from their tax advisors. Five figure fees for clients in their mid-70's doing nothing in their portfolio is legal larceny.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
As a tax professional I have heard numerous complaints when dealing with estates/executors about "my brother/sister was made the executor and is hiding all the good stuff,...I know we are getting cheated out of $$$,....".

Competent financial institutions have professionals with no dog in the estate distribution fight. Let them handle everything. It might cost some money-wise, but that is better than family feuding.

Financial advisors,......with no deduction of their fees now available, try to renegotiate or move elsewhere. I have seen year-end advisor letters telling clients to ignore what they hear from their tax advisors. Five figure fees for clients in their mid-70's doing nothing in their portfolio is legal larceny.

If they are going to complain about money then they will complain no matter what. I’m executor of my moms estate and am taking no executor fee (most charge they max 2%), throw in attorney fees and other BS and you have 5% leaving even without an estate tax. I’ve found that if the family is going to fight they will fight no matter what.